Turn on thread page Beta

A-Level choices for hopeful law student. watch

ReputationRep:
    What A-Level choices did you take, advise to take. I've been advised to take essay based and analytical subjects;

History
    Politics
    Psychology Will be dropped after AS most probably]
    Economics

What do you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    Good choices, nothing wrong with those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    What A-Level choices did you take, advise to take. I've been advised to take essay based and analytical subjects;

History
    Politics
    Economics

What do you suggest?
    That's a good combination.

If i wanted to do law though i would have done something like.

Maths/Eng lan
    Chemistry/physics
    Economics
    History

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    That's a good combination.

If i wanted to do law though i would have done something like.

Maths/Eng lan
    Chemistry/physics
    Economics
    History
    Thats a good idea actually, instead of doing Psychology do English Lit
    I'm predicted an A/highB for English Lit so thats a good idea :P If i get an A/A* in Eng Lit i'll probably take it

ReputationRep:
    Your selection sounds fantastic. My only advice would be to broaden your subject areas- maybe include a science. All this will do is ensure that you are keeping your options open. I wanted to apply for Law at Cambridge- but now I'm holding an offer for Oxford, to read History. I take it that you are doing lots of extra reading and research?

ReputationRep:
    Thats a good idea actually, instead of doing Psychology do English Lit
    I'm predicted an A/highB for English Lit so thats a good idea :P If i get an A/A* in Eng Lit i'll probably take it
    Yeh that should be good.

Speak to some Law students on here though, i heard something about having one science A level looks really good. I may be completely wrong though.

ReputationRep:

History
    Politics
    Economics

What do you suggest?
    Psychology is for dossers and is blacklisted. Change it to something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Psychology is for dossers and is blacklisted. Change it to something else.
    Psychology isn't blacklisted. Plus it's combined with traditional subjects so the OP will have no problem.

ReputationRep:
    Switch Psychology for Biology if you must of if you want to do some real work opposed to endless memorising then I'd recommend Physics or Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozziie)
    Your selection sounds fantastic. My only advice would be to broaden your subject areas- maybe include a science. All this will do is ensure that you are keeping your options open. I wanted to apply for Law at Cambridge- but now I'm holding an offer for Oxford, to read History. I take it that you are doing lots of extra reading and research?
    Extra reading and research on what? I've pretty much already downloaded and printed the specification for my politics course and began doing the simple ones - understanding words etc. I've also applied in three/four different Solicitors for Work Experience so i suppose yeah
    I may include a Science, but i feel Physics and Chem being the hardest A-Level would spoil my chances of A*A*A* - which by the time i pass will no doubt be wanted for most top Uni's for Law/Medicine. I also despise Biology - learning about plants annoy me to death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph708)
    Psychology isn't blacklisted. Plus it's combined with traditional subjects so the OP will have no problem.
    As a first year subject it isn'...

ReputationRep:
    Bump still need help

ReputationRep:
    Your subjects seem fine. I think if you're happy with English Literature, it would seem a better option than Psychology, but as a fourth AS, if you aren't happy with Literature, then there isn't much wrong with your choices. Some think having a science is a good idea - if you're not happy with Physics or Chemistry, why not change Economics for Maths? although that isn't necessary, and economics is perfectly adequate. Overall, you've got to pick the subjects you're going to enjoy and do best on. You seem to be more than on the right lines. In addition to your attempts at work experience for the solicitors, try to undertake some background reading into Law, so that you know what you're getting yourself into - try 'What about Law?', 'Discovering Law', 'Learning the Law' and 'The Law Machine' as a brief introduction Oh and keep up-to-date with current affairs with a good newspaper.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I had all essay based subjects at A-Level before I started my Law degree and I was actually in the minority - the majority have a combination of science and arts. But to be honest I'm not convinced that either one provides better preparation than the other. Obviously try to avoid too many "non-traditional" subjects but you're better off studying what you enjoy and are interested in; it's the quality of your results which will determine where you go and not whether or not you studied English as opposed to Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becbec :))
    Your subjects seem fine. I think if you're happy with English Literature, it would seem a better option than Psychology, but as a fourth AS, if you aren't happy with Literature, then there isn't much wrong with your choices. Some think having a science is a good idea - if you're not happy with Physics or Chemistry, why not change Economics for Maths? although that isn't necessary, and economics is perfectly adequate. Overall, you've got to pick the subjects you're going to enjoy and do best on. You seem to be more than on the right lines. In addition to your attempts at work experience for the solicitors, try to undertake some background reading into Law, so that you know what you're getting yourself into - try 'What about Law?', 'Discovering Law', 'Learning the Law' and 'The Law Machine' as a brief introduction Oh and keep up-to-date with current affairs with a good newspaper.
    Okay thanks, i read quite a lot so that shouldn't be a problem. Can you give me the Authors name of them books please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    I had all essay based subjects at A-Level before I started my Law degree and I was actually in the minority - the majority have a combination of science and arts. But to be honest I'm not convinced that either one provides better preparation than the other. Obviously try to avoid too many "non-traditional" subjects but you're better off studying what you enjoy and are interested in; it's the quality of your results which will determine where you go and not whether or not you studied English as opposed to Biology.
    Okay thanks, i think my subjects are quite traditional and respected in University terms, and the preparation is down to reading law books, work experience and keeping with current affairs - all of which i'm doing in the process of doing
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks, i read quite a lot so that shouldn't be a problem. Can you give me the Authors name of them books please
    'What about Law' - Virgo, Barnard and O'Sullivan
    'Discovering the Law' - edited by Sean Butler
    'The Law Machine' - Berlins and Dyer
    'Learning the Law' - Glanville Williams

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Your subjects are fine.

Psychology is a weak link - but it doesn't really matter as the rest of your subjects are traditional.

Don't shy away from Physics and Chemistry based on ideas about how "hard" they are. How hard subjects are is completely personal.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.
    Aha, I think someone has jumped in on this, but I also found "Eve Was Framed" by Helena Kennedy very insightful. I'd also consider looking at a specific area of law- for example, human rights and their abuses, and researching it to put on your personal statement. Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.