Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you do when somebody wants to be matey with you? watch

Keep Anonymous please or delete, other ppl from work use this forum.

I am being treated like **** by a workmate because I tried to become more talkative with her. I am male. It is obvious that she is avoiding me nowadays. I just do not know how to deal with the situation, or even what to think about it. So can you help me out please and give me some advice on the topics below.

If you had a workmate who really tried hard to be matey with you, would you take it as a compliment or would you feel a little weird and/or embarrassed?

What oversteps the mark for you? What character traits make it obvious that that workmate is trying too hard and becoming clingy?

If the workmate had a few undesirable traits (loner, creepy, boring) would that make you back off even more, to the point of making it really obvious that you are doing so?

ReputationRep:
    well any time someone that annoys me tries to be friendly i just grin and bear it.
    i don't get as involved in conversation as i usually would, and i won't go out of my way to start one unless they do

ReputationRep:
    Do you have those undesirable traits

ReputationRep:
    I would take it as a compliment, I'm actually quite happy when someone does that.

(Original post by sssdeol1)
    Do you have those undesirable traits
    I guess I might do. Other people probably seem to think so.

I hoped I'd get more advice than this by now.

I am being owned by a girl who basically doesn't want to come near me nowadays because I dared to consider her a friend and be chatty to her.

I want to respond but I don't know how to yet. I really want to be extra clingy with her to deliberately annoy her and show her that I will never go away. This will give me back some power and turn the situation round to owning her rather than being owned. Do you think this is wise?

ReputationRep:
    Some people are more guarded and don't really like people attempting to get too close, too soon. At the end of the day the world is full of people like that and you just have to accept it, as annoying as it can be. But the person you're talking about is taking the **** to treat you badly because of this, don't stand for it. Are there no other people at work you can bring this up with ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.