Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Gap Year Help? Please? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so ive got a friend who plans on going to uni to study maths/computing...Something like that. Me on the other hand medicine, and i do plan on taking a Gap Year and have a rough idea of what to do. Since we're good friends he says hes decided to come along as it would be fun. But i dunno, cause taking a year out might jeopardize his uni chances?

I get the impression that taking a year out is frowned upon by unis for maths subjects? So is there anyone else who has been in this situation? All i need is a plausible explanation for my friend to take a year out???

Any ideas? Help is appreciated thx... :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Unis don't mind a gap year for maths subjects, so long as you make sure that you keep up your skills and continue to practice.

It may jeopradize his chances if he can't show the uni(s) that he will be doing something good with his time and that he will keep his maths skills up to scratch.

What're you thinking of doing on your gap year?

ReputationRep:
    If he applies for entry next year (ie no gap year) and after he gets some offers call up the unis and ask to defer.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hmm its rare but I have heard of people being told by uni's that they won't take them if they do a gap year as people go away and forget all the maths they learned at A-level. Best thing to do would be to just ask the admissions tutors where he's applying as only they can give you a definitive answer and none of them will begrudge a quick email about it.

Also it would depend a lot on what you're doing on the gap year, if its something worthwhile then they'll probably like it and if its something like mine was, where you're using or teaching the stuff you've been doing at AS or even A2 level, then even better.

But don't panic because as I say, it seems rare and I've heard of very few people being told this, and two of them were applying to oxbridge (who seem to be a law unto themselves)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.