Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For those of you living/studying in Bath, I'm guessing there's a train from Bath train station to London. Do you know how long it takes from going to Bath to London in train? And train is the best option right?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    nationalrail.co.uk???

it takes on average about 1 hour and 31 mins, and there are direct trains to paddington roughly every 30 mins. Hope that helps!

T

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about getting home at the holidays? Then yes, train is probably the best way. Buses are cheaper but always uncomfortable, and you can't have a car in the first year.

ReputationRep:
    No not for holidays, I was talking to go to London because I see that there are a lot of concerts and stuff going on in the weekends :woo: :woo:. And I would like to know the fastest/most economic/confortable way to get there, which I assume is the train, because as you say, buses do suck a bit for long rides -.-

ReputationRep:
    The train prices are horrendous. If you try to buy on the day it tends to be around £50(cant remember how much precisely) you have to book at least 2 weeks in advance to get decent prices.

Young Persons Railcard is a must!

ReputationRep:
    WTF? 50 pounds for a train ride is insane... how much would it be if I booked it 2 weeks in advance? and what is that young persons railcard a discout card? How do i get it?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's crazy. The railcard is about £23 but it saves you 1/3 off peak tickets which is amazing.You can get it from any station. Natwest used to give it for free with its student accounts but not sure if it still applies.

I've gone home (which is North London) for about £15 return before but that was booked well in advance. It's the journey between PAddington and Bath that costs a bomb!

ReputationRep:
    As already said, Young persons railcard and advance tickets are both musts.

For me to get home from Bath, booking advance tickets saves hardly anything, because I can't get any from Cardiff to where I live (they just don't do advance fares for that route), so it comes to around £13 return anyway, while paying on the day (and having the freedom to choose any train) costs £15.

ReputationRep:
    Ticket prices are almost completely arbitrary, and a lot depends on where you're going, what time of day, and how far in advance you buy. Obviously a railcard is essential, as everyone else has said.

To get an idea, I suggest you look up the journey online with any train operator - my favourite is NXEC.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.