Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do any of you bury your pets in your garden? watch

Announcements
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    We have a cat and three goldfish in our garden, they're the only pets we've had.

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but we have a very big garden and because it is also a business we won't be leaving in the forseeable future.

I have a funny story about this actually, we keep chickens as pets and one of them died so Dad put it in a plastic bag and put it in the incinerator (rubbish bin with holes and fire) but it didn't work and we just got a cooked chicken moulded in plastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    Never had a pet before, would love a dog though , but when your pet died (of considerable size eg a dog or a cat) did you bury it in your back garden?

Can't help but think how weird it would be in the future when someone else moves in and wants to say put a pond where you buried your dog and dig up it's remains :afraid:
    Just this Sunday I helped my cousin to burry the dog.Actually I was going to celebrate aunt's birthday,so my white socks became dirty quite soon.
    The dog was sick for about two weeks.(they already lost two dogs this yearne at winter,another at June,so that was the last one).
    The veterenar came on Sunday and helped it to leave our world,because all Saturday it cried with pain,couldn't walk,only lied and made toilet under itself.The veterenar said:"No chances."
    So I'm and my younger cousin (19 years) haven't much time and have to hurry up.We made the grave at swamp.The land is bad,so nobody need it.But it was rather hard to dig there,a lot of high grass,dirty water and so on.
    The weather was hot,we didn't have much time and cousin was mostly talking when working.In 30 minutes(it died with veterenar help in 10 minutes after we started to dig) it was ready.When we came for the body it was already stinking,there were a lot of fat flies around,they were just mad,so awful and disgusting that was.
    The granny gave us old table-cloth to burry the dog in and offered to bring the dog to the grave on it.But I insisted and got small cart.
    The main deal was to put it on the cart.So I put on the gloves and offered cousin to choose the pad's pair.The back was stinking more and more flies fliing there(so as dog made the toilet under itself) at forward there was the death dog's head,as if showing us it's teeth.But when I took the back one he cried with fear:"Ow I fear to touch the death."At the same moment one of the flies occured to be a gadfly and bite my hand."So I was rather angry with him and cried something like: "**** you up man,take it faster..."So I had to wait while my father will put on gloves and change "the frightened" to help me finish the work.The flies were really mad and disgusting,the smell also...After that my cousin pulled the cart through the hills and I was going behind with spades and looked that the dog won't fell out...

So when you said that you don't know will you be able to burry it or not, the scared cousin's face appeared in my fresh memory.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be right to just dump your pets in the bin as it just seems a bit disrespectful especially if you loved your pets like you're meant to, so yes i do bury mine. Usually grab a little shoe-box or something depending on what the pet is and have that as a make-shift coffin (as it'll degrade anyway).

ReputationRep:
    3 fish, 3 hamsters, 1 rabbit, 2 cats and we recently added another mud section in preperation for the next cat.

cats come to my house to die.

ReputationRep:
    No, only grandma.

ReputationRep:
    Like 2 weeks ago one of my fishys died so i had to bury him. But the next morning the fox dug him up and left my fishy headless on the lawn with loads of flies on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceCold91)
    Like 2 weeks ago one of my fishys died so i had to bury him. But the next morning the fox dug him up and left my fishy headless on the lawn with loads of flies on it.
    That could do and neighbours cat,not fox.

I don't, no. My gran keeps her deceased cat's ashes in a casket, though (the cat was a very good companion to her a few years ago), and my mum buried a couple of dogs that had died on the top of a nearby hill.

Actually, I did bury one, once. I got some of those triops that you keep in a tank, and one of them lived for nearly a year. I decided that since it had lived to long, I'd give it something like a burial, so I wrapped it in some toilet roll and stuck it under the bamboo in our garden.

ReputationRep:
    Only small things like hamsters, I wouldn't bury my dog there though.

ReputationRep:
    My cat died three years ago and he was buried in the back garden. I laid some flowers on his grave, I was very upset when he died as he was the loveliest, sweetest cat you could imagine, soooo cuddly and dopey. I miss him

I have 2 hammies and a bunny now and when they die I will bury them in the garden also.

ReputationRep:
    We have always burried our pets, but when 2 of our dogs died, we had them cremated. We burried the remains of the first one (this was like 15 years ago) but the other one that dies like 6 months ago, we still have the remains of in a little wooden box. I think my mum wants to keep it for the moment, because we moved house and left the remains of the other one behind obviously, and she doesn't want to have that happen again.

ReputationRep:
    My dog was cremated at the vets, but we have a rabbit and mouse in our garden.

ReputationRep:
    My nan used to bury pets in her garden...which may be why she always had such lovely rhubarb...but, our family only buried the fish in our garden. My dad took the cat and buried it on some public land on the hillside...in heavy rain...so it looked like Frankenstein in reverse.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a collection of animals have been buried in our garden.

ReputationRep:
    We used to bury horses on our land. I imagine that could give someone a bit of a fright if they were digging there in future, as I expect theres a few horse bones that could be mistaken for human limb bones at first sight.

We've also always buried pets in the garden, it's cheaper than having someone take them away/cremated etc and it's good for the grass.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that you can't now for health and safety reasons (my mum said that cos I asked her what we'd do with the cat, as I'm convinced my cat will die as I'm away this year). I hope she's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    I heard that you can't now for health and safety reasons (my mum said that cos I asked her what we'd do with the cat, as I'm convinced my cat will die as I'm away this year). I hope she's wrong.
    It's not that you can't, it's that the government don't want you to.

Until they post a copper on lookout in your garden, then bury what you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GorgeousMatt)
    It's not that you can't, it's that the government don't want you to.

Until they post a copper on lookout in your garden, then bury what you like.
    Ah, ok! Not so bad then.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.