Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering if anyone here has any plans to go to any of the proms this year?

I've got a few lined up, especially this Wednesday with Cambridge choirs and then August with Lang Lang playing Chopin!

Can anyone give me an idea how much time before hand I need to go if I'm promming as well, and need to queue up for tickets?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Heya! I'm going to my first Prom tonight: Purcell's 'The Fairy Queen'. Not a fan of Purcell but I have to study him, so thought I'd go. Also might be going on Wednesday to The Other Place's concert :ninja:

I tend to leave two hours before start time, to be safe. Might need to queue up earlier for Lang Lang (might also be at that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Heya! I'm going to my first Prom tonight: Purcell's 'The Fairy Queen'. Not a fan of Purcell but I have to study him, so thought I'd go. Also might be going on Wednesday to The Other Place's concert :ninja:

I tend to leave two hours before start time, to be safe. Might need to queue up earlier for Lang Lang (might also be at that)
    I'm not too sure what time they open doors for tickets?
    The site says they open doors for tickets half an hour before concerts start, is that the only time we can get tickets for promming? So we need to queue way before 7.30 etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    Was just wondering if anyone here has any plans to go to any of the proms this year?

I've got a few lined up, especially this Wednesday with Cambridge choirs and then August with Lang Lang playing Chopin!

Can anyone give me an idea how much time before hand I need to go if I'm promming as well, and need to queue up for tickets?

Please, what is Lang Lang playing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopinmad)
    Please, what is Lang Lang playing?
    Chopin Piano Concerto No.2 in F minor, which he'll probably destroy with his playing but I just want to see him live for once

Here's a link to the whole program: http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2009/whatson/2708.shtml

ReputationRep:
    I'm going on the 8th of August to see the NYO, should be good Also going to some family orchestra thingy beforehand with one of my friends so I get to play and then go and see a concert, really looking forward to it!

Would really like to go and see Lang Lang, but I'm a bit broke so can't really afford to go to any others, ah well, at least I'm going at all, I've never been to the Proms before so it should be good!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to buy tickets in advance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Do you have to buy tickets in advance?
    You can do, or you can turn up on the day, queue for a bit and get a ticket for 5 quid :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You can do, or you can turn up on the day, queue for a bit and get a ticket for 5 quid :yep:
    :woo: :woo: :woo:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm not too sure what time they open doors for tickets?
    The site says they open doors for tickets half an hour before concerts start, is that the only time we can get tickets for promming? So we need to queue way before 7.30 etc?
    That sounds about right from my experiences last year. You'll want to queue for a good hour or so beforehand though to ensure you get in and get a good view. Much longer for Lang Lang

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    That sounds about right from my experiences last year. You'll want to queue for a good hour or so beforehand though to ensure you get in and get a good view. Much longer for Lang Lang
    Ahh cheers, we'll probably be getting there around 5 or so as we're all heading straight there after an orchestral rehearsal....though dunno what we're going to do about food seeing as you can only buy 1 ticket per person

How was the Purcell?

ReputationRep:
    Chopin Piano Concerto No.2 in F minor, which he'll probably destroy with his playing but I just want to see him live for once

Here's a link to the whole program: http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2009/whatson/2708.shtml

Thanks that's great.

I'm not sure, I have his recording of the two concerti and they're both very good. Of course, he may be *very* different on stage, but I still think I'd enjoy the performance. I have seen him live before, and I certainly enjoyed that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going tonight to see the Proms! The one tonight is a celebration of Cambridge University's 300th Anniversary... hope its good.

I've also gotten tickets for a few others... at around £11 each for seats up in the circle, its not too bad, and you can get standing for a fiver on the day itself.

For those classical music newbies, there's a good top 5 guide to the Proms that I found that might be useful in selecting which one to go to:

london-insider.co.uk/2009/07/bbc-proms-2009-top-concert-picks/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boonkoh)
    I'm going tonight to see the Proms! The one tonight is a celebration of Cambridge University's 300th Anniversary... hope its good.

I've also gotten tickets for a few others... at around £11 each for seats up in the circle, its not too bad, and you can get standing for a fiver on the day itself.

For those classical music newbies, there's a good top 5 guide to the Proms that I found that might be useful in selecting which one to go to:

london-insider.co.uk/2009/07/bbc-proms-2009-top-concert-picks/
    800th :p:

And I was going to go, but my mates pulled out, though to be honest, wasn't particularly in the mood to queue for hours - and would've had to get there early as this Prom sold out fastest apparently!

Some of those top 5 look really interesting....might go to some of them, especially the Ukelele orchestra :p:

I really want to go this year. I didn't get a chance to go last year but I went the year before and it was great! I'll have to have a look at the list...:beard:

ReputationRep:
    Went to my first Prom on Sunday - Prom 4, Handel's Partenope! I queued for about 5 hours, which was totally unnecessary, but I did get a spot right at the front, at the "bar" (the standing / "promming" tickets are only £5, and you are allowed to sit down, just not necessarily in a seat, although in the arena there are seats available if you rush to them quickly enough). Right in front of Semmingsen and Knudsen. It was a brilliant performance, and so funny, even though it was only a concert performance. Scholl was a superstar, as always, although he is definitely more at home in the slower more emotive arias e.g. "Ch'io parta"; and his acting with Semmingsen was just :rofl:. Dumaux was a great rival to Scholl though.

The orchestra was looked like they were having such a fun time, with Mortensen having a ball on the harpsichord - there is so much you can do with continuo :eek:. They messed around a bit with the libretto though, especially in the third act (or maybe that was just an alternative version from one of Handel's revivals of his own opera) - they gave one of Emilio's arias to Ormonte (which balances it out better, and Knudsen's bass coloratura was impressive), and added one of the duets from Imeneo, giving it to Armindo and Partenope. And Dam-Jensen was HOT in the title role :coma:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ahh cheers, we'll probably be getting there around 5 or so as we're all heading straight there after an orchestral rehearsal....though dunno what we're going to do about food seeing as you can only buy 1 ticket per person

How was the Purcell?
    Food is always a tricky one, as the food inside there is extortionate. I usually queue with my burger from Mr Burger Van (conveniently parked next to the RAH) coz I'm a cheapskate

Purcell was good but loooooooooooooooooooooooong. I don't actually like Purcell that much, so I wasn't impressed by how long it was. Even my tutor thought it was too long!

That said, the random appearance of giant copulating Duracell bunnies made it all worthwhile. That's so going in my exam paper next summer

ReputationRep:
    I shall be gong to the Evolution! prom, as its the only one my brother will sit through due to the Starwars content. Hopefully i shall also make it down for a few others later on in the summer

ReputationRep:
    Ah man, the one day when all my mates were up for it and it looked like there'd be no problems....and it's raining

ReputationRep:
    Ah man, the one day when all my mates were up for it and it looked like there'd be no problems....and it's raining
    Surely you can still go even if there's a bit of rain? The programme looks really good tonight, well imo anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.