Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go to Prom 40 next Saturday, for Beethoven's 9th. Any ideas how early I'd have to queue to get a good place at/near the front?

ReputationRep:
    I know someone in NYO, an oboe player, so it's a little annoying I go on holiday for a week on the day she's playing, but hopefully I'll find it somewhere online when I get back.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by John05)
    I really want to go to Prom 40 next Saturday, for Beethoven's 9th. Any ideas how early I'd have to queue to get a good place at/near the front?
    Beethoven could be pretty popular but not ridiculously popular. I usually start queuing about two hours in advance to be on the safe side

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone watching Classic Goldie?
    Cause i was there :awesome: at that prom
    Now i just have to make it to another one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Beethoven could be pretty popular but not ridiculously popular. I usually start queuing about two hours in advance to be on the safe side
    Ok, thanks. I thought I'd have to queue for 6 hours+. It was sold out quite early, so I think I'll get there a bit earlier.

Although I'm not sure whether to opt for the Gallery or the Arena. I just hope that my height won't compromise the view.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by John05)
    Ok, thanks. I thought I'd have to queue for 6 hours+. It was sold out quite early, so I think I'll get there a bit earlier.

Although I'm not sure whether to opt for the Gallery or the Arena. I just hope that my height won't compromise the view.
    It def won't require six. It's not like a pop concert. Though maybe 3 might be safer? I'm going about 3 hours in advance for tonight's Prom...

I always go for Gallery because there are less people and you can actually see everything (my height would compromise my view in the Arena!). Apparently the acoustic is better but I have hearing problems and probs wouldn't notice the subtle differences

ReputationRep:
    You underestimate the Proms audience's love of the 'Glorious Ninth'! :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Haeron)
    You underestimate the Proms audience's love of the 'Glorious Ninth'! :p:
    That may well be true

ReputationRep:
    Yikes, last night was amazing! Had such a good time, and Stephen Hough was brilliant! Hadn't heard him play before but I will defo youtube some more of his stuff. Was very impressed with the NYO as well though

ReputationRep:
    *sigh* I was going to go to Prom 33 tonight but I'm ill. and it's the only bit of Adams they're playing all season...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Satine)
    *sigh* I was going to go to Prom 33 tonight but I'm ill. and it's the only bit of Adams they're playing all season...
    It was a bit too much Adams for me I actually really liked the piece, just found it a bit long. Though I think that's coz I'm not used to going to more than one Prom in one day. Plus I had some right idiots sitting next to me during the 3pm Prom who annoyed me :mad:

Hope you feel better soon
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by clarinetplayer92)
    Yikes, last night was amazing! Had such a good time, and Stephen Hough was brilliant! Hadn't heard him play before but I will defo youtube some more of his stuff. Was very impressed with the NYO as well though
    I was there in the Gallery! :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    It was a bit too much Adams for me I actually really liked the piece, just found it a bit long. Though I think that's coz I'm not used to going to more than one Prom in one day. Plus I had some right idiots sitting next to me during the 3pm Prom who annoyed me :mad:

Hope you feel better soon
    I'm writing my second-year dissertation on Adams and Grand Pianola Music is one that I didn't know so I was all excited, flu sucks.

I think the Proms sometimes attract idiots. I've been to two so far and wanted to punch at least one person both times (I didn't).

ReputationRep:

I think the Proms sometimes attract idiots. I've been to two so far and wanted to punch at least one person both times (I didn't).
    Aside from the annoying coughing, what sorts of things have happened? I remember once I went to a concert and an old woman thought it would be appropriate to search through her bag in the slow movement of Brahms' 3rd Piano Sonata. Shuffle off the mortal coil, please! :ninja:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Haeron)
    Aside from the annoying coughing, what sorts of things have happened? I remember once I went to a concert and an old woman thought it would be appropriate to search through her bag in the slow movement of Brahms' 3rd Piano Sonata. Shuffle off the mortal coil, please! :ninja:
    Well yesterday, the annoying people next to me:

- Confused Paganini with Bach
    - Decided that the audience was being "dishonest or polite" by applauding the newly commissioned piece. They didn't like it, so naturally no one else would :rolleyes:
    - Complained about the double basses getting a special applause for their solo in 'The Carnival of the Animals'. "They hardly did anything!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That last one in particularly made me want to smack them. Bloody hell, it's one of the few and most famous solos actually written for their instrument. Let them have the moment of glory! :mad:

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm writing my second-year dissertation on Adams and Grand Pianola Music is one that I didn't know so I was all excited, flu sucks.

Argh! That's such bad luck Hope you feel better soon :console:

Second year dissertation? As in you have to write another one in the third year?!

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm planning to prom this Saturday's Beethoven, and I've got seats for next Wednesday (Rach/Paganini rhapsody, Shostakovich symph 11) and late night Friday (Mendelssohn/Berg). Hope it'll be good

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else going to the Greenwood/Stravinsky/Birtwhistle tomorrow evening?

ReputationRep:
    I went to Prom 36 - the Handel Anniversary concert with Christophers / The Sixteen last Wednesday (broadcast last Saturday - they had to take my worse side for their profile shot of us prommers didn't they?). The Coronation Anthems were done extremely well. There were overwhelmingly negative or dismissive reviews for their rendition of Zadok the Priest, and it was true that it did not have the surge of power that befits a coronation; there was a subtler side to the build-up that did come out (especially in the use of the organ being just early), and the entry of the chorus was all the more explosive for it.

I think it was this subtlety that held the other Coronation Anthems and the Salve Regina together so well and gave them their power. Christophers was probably best in "My Heart is Inditing", with the expansive, lush layering of choral texture :coma: that Handel revels in when he deals with themes of love or compassion. I have to applaud the choir's good diction though; even from the middle-front of the arena I could hear the enunciation of the consonants.

Sampson as Semele was uproariously funny in "Endless Pleasure" and especially in "Myself I shall adore", and her voice sound suited to the character; not strong or powerful (unlike Dam-Jensen in Partenope, see above), but breezy, playful, adorable. Crazy ornamentation in her coloratura in that last aria, just crazy.

The organ concerto was a bit :lolwut:, especially at the end; I had to look in the programme notes (freely available on the website after the Prom) to find out what that was all about.

ReputationRep:
    Also went to PCM 5 - Llŷr Williams with Baroque reflections in the Romantic era, this afternoon. Comments coming up in a couple of hours...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.