Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by michaelyus)
    Also went to PCM 5 - Llŷr Williams with Baroque reflections in the Romantic era, this afternoon. Comments coming up in a couple of hours...
    I was there too

ReputationRep:
    Sorry it's been a bit more than a couple of hours!

I'm a bit of a Baroque aficionado, so I came looking for the Baroque-reinterpretated-through-Romanticism aspect. And I certainly got it!

Babblings on PCM 5
    I think the Mendelssohn did the reincarnation of the prelude and fugue form best; maybe it's because he conceives of the fugue in the sermon-type way that Bach does, and so in that mould Mendelssohn simply applies Romantic textures, harmonies and development. In that sense the piece is one of the most conservative, but Williams gave that a noble, strong sentiment that I really enjoyed.

The Busoni renditions of the Bach I had mixed opinions about. Williams hit the nail on the head when he talked about the balance of Bach and Busoni in the pieces. The perfection of the "Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme" movement "Zion hört die Wächter singen" makes it difficult to "Romanticise". It seems Williams played it firmly within the Baroque-as-performed-on-modern-piano tradition, with a beautiful distinction of the tenor chorale and the string melody (in the original cantata) on the piano. It was nice to see pedal being used, as this was originally transcribed by Bach as part of the Schübler chorales for the organ, and Williams brought out that clear resonance, especially in the upper voices.

The other two Busoni transcriptions are more Romanticised. "Nun freut euch, lieben Christen g'mein" was overlaid with dazzling pianistic passage-work which Williams played virtuosically, but I didn't feel the joy that Bach often effuses (I'm thinking BWV 30 "Freue dich, erlöste/geheil'gte Schar" ); maybe Busoni reads Bach differently to me. "Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ" was suited to the Romantic treatment, and I felt the longing and the loneliness through Williams' playing - it was great emotional stuff.

Brahms' Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel was monumental, but Williams imbued with all sorts of colours and great diversity. He showed how Brahms could take the neutral, pretty Aria from the "Aria con variazioni" movement in Handel's Bb Keyboard Suite and do everything that Brahms could to it. There were heavy Romantic showpieces, Beethoven-esque moments, Baroque dances and even canons; I especially liked Williams' transition of ornamentation from Baroque to Romantic.

I did lose my sense of direction though; I could hear an alternating pairing of variations but no overall build-up. The fugue struck with great immensity and grandness. I did lose direction in this fugue though, and though I appreciate the synthesis of variation and fugue with pianistic touches as a work of genius, the piece as a whole doesn't really suit my personal taste. I think it's just the highly chromatic harmony and lurching rubato, it invites me to linger in the moment rather than see past connections and future expectations.

I should probably have approached the fugue as a set of extra variations actually, that seems to makes more sense for Brahms' rendition of fugal texture (as surrounded by the pianistic textures of the actual variations).

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I was there too
    :five: Gallery or Stalls?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by michaelyus)
    :five: Gallery or Stalls?
    Gallery. I'm a cheapskate

ReputationRep:
    Gallery. I'm a cheapskate
    Same! Getting into a top quality concert for the bare minimum :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Standing in the arena was more painful than cross-country running
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by John05)
    Standing in the arena was more painful than cross-country running
    :console:

That's why I queue up early for the Gallery: you can sit and still get a good view :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to be promming it tomorrow with a group of friends.

Depends if something else comes up for exam celebration though :p:

ReputationRep:
    :console:

That's why I queue up early for the Gallery: you can sit and still get a good view :yes:
    Yeah, I think I'll go there from now on. I could only see people standing in the Gallery - are there many more sitting down behind them?

Going to the late night today, and will probably prom the next 3 days. My sister wants to see Lang Lang on Thursday, just to hear him live, but I don't think we'll be able to join the queue early enough..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by John05)
    Yeah, I think I'll go there from now on. I could only see people standing in the Gallery - are there many more sitting down behind them?

Going to the late night today, and will probably prom the next 3 days. My sister wants to see Lang Lang on Thursday, just to hear him live, but I don't think we'll be able to join the queue early enough..
    The people right by the railings are often seated. The people directly behind them stand so that they can still see. Other people either stand, sit or some even lie down. Though there's physically much less space than the Arena, there's actually more space because fewer people wanna go up there :yes:

Lang Lang is absolutely amazing live. I've never been so amazed or inspired by a classical music concert. I'd recommend anyone who can sees Lang Lang play live at some point :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Went to Prom 47 - Samson with The English Concert (on results day no less :ninja:). Enjoyable, and plenty of energy I thought, which was especially good for the martialistic arias (e.g. Purves as Harapha) as well as the Samson-reunited-with-Dalila arguments. I love the sound quality of The English Concert too; it fits really well with Handel in particular. Choral movements were very strong. Controversial oratorio story and libretto though, which I thought the music transcended quite well.

@ arena vs gallery: I'm a committed arena-prommer at the Royal Albert Hall; I'm getting used to it now after three RAH proms I've been to :p:.

ReputationRep:
    DId anyone go see Lang Lang?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I didn't manage to in the end

On the plus side, I went to the 11am PCM today. That 'Rite of Spring' two piano version is quite possibly the most amazing thing I've ever heard live :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't see Lang Lang, but I saw Martha Argerich. Good stuff

ReputationRep:
    I didn't manage to in the end

On the plus side, I went to the 11am PCM today. That 'Rite of Spring' two piano version is quite possibly the most amazing thing I've ever heard live :awesome:
    I guess the bigger question is whether you've ever heard the arrangement of Petrushka for two accordions.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I was going to go to tonight's prom, but in the end didn't want to wait and queue for 3 hours :p:

I'm so lazy
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    I guess the bigger question is whether you've ever heard the arrangement of Petrushka for two accordions.

MB
    :eek:

I haven't. I will have to look that one up! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    I was going to go to tonight's prom, but in the end didn't want to wait and queue for 3 hours :p:

I'm so lazy
    Aww I guess that's fair enough, I ended up going, bit of a spontaneous decision but it was brilliant, really enjoyed it, the arena was packed though! Plus there were loads of clarinet solos in the Shostakovich so I was happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)

MB
    You look like an old man what are you doing on TSR?
    And please put some spoiler tags on your signiture. Its not hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedi4)
    I'm not a student currently but am hopefully going back to uni in about a year, and mainly use the postgrad forums these days. Also, go on to your account options and set sig-a-tron to spoilerify.

MB
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jedi4)
    That's not very nice :no:

Us musos/wannabe musos should stick together. Not that many of us on here :nah:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.