Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just finished the second year of a non-law degree, and I'm intending to complete the GDL after I graduate. I'm hoping if I'm lucky I'll get a TC from a firm who pay GDL fees, but I'm a bit confused as to how it works.

Firms recruit two years in advance, which means I'll be applying for TC's next year (final year of my degree), but as I understand it, you can't be offered a TC until 1st September. But by this point, you'll already have had to pay at least some of your GDL fees :confused:

Sorry if I'm being really dense here, I'd be really grateful to anyone who could help me out!

ReputationRep:
    Also, what happens if you get a TC offer from a firm who specify where you have to do your GDL? By 1st September, you'll be committed to doing your GDL wherever you're doing it :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Different recruiters have different policies, so your mileage will vary. That said, here's what I've heard from two big city firms:

If you are given a TC, and they want you to do your GDL with a specific provider, they will work with that provider to make sure that a place is available for you. These firms will also find a way to refund you for the deposit, whether by encouraging the place you paid to give it back, or simply paying it back to you themselves. (This only applies to the mandatory deposit/fees, not to any extra fees you decided to pay in advance).

ReputationRep:
    The September 1st Rule only applies to 2nd year law students. Firms make offers to non-lawyers all year round so there is every chance that you can get a TC before you've even applied to the GDL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naelse)
    The September 1st Rule only applies to 2nd year law students. Firms make offers to non-lawyers all year round so there is every chance that you can get a TC before you've even applied to the GDL.
    Ah OK, that makes a lot more sense! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    So when can 3rd year non-law students start applying for a TC?

ReputationRep:
    The moment the applications open in October.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help guys...Does anyone know roughly what is the percentage of non-law students that get sponsored by a firm? And if you get sponsored for your GDL will they also sponsor your LPC?

ReputationRep:
    It's not so much that they "sponsor" your GDL, it's that they offer you a training contract and then pay for everything that happens between you accepting that offer and the end of your training contract. That includes GDL, LPC, SRA fees, etc... That said, some firms will pay for the LPC but not the GDL, and some firms won't pay for anything.

ReputationRep:
    I have a quick question associated with this thread, if anyone can shed some light...

I'm a non-law grad considering a career change. I believe the best way to do this would be to apply for a TC at the outset and attempt to get 'sponsored' through GDL and LPC, thus removing the risk associated with quitting work and cracking on with the GDL and LPC with no guarantee of work and a shed load of debt. If I apply now for a TC starting in 2012 I would need to do the GDL Sep 2010/11 and LPC 2011/12. So, should I just apply for TCs at the moment and not GDL or do you need to apply for both on the assumption that I would gain a TC and, therefore, need my GDL place?

Hope that makes sense...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.