Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i have just finished year 12. Awaiting my AS results. When i ask everyone what they want to do at university they seem so settled on it, i ask and i usualyl get a subject answer back. I have a few ideas, but can't decide and it's hard for getting work experience etc

Am i the only one who isn't sure yet? I'm scared i'l have to decide what to do with gteh rest of my life in the last few weeks, and that's really scary.

I'm interested in psychology, but the mahjority of psychology graduates don't become psychologists, and teh otehrs seem togo into jobs that don't really require a degree. I am also interested in physiotheraphy, but i'm unsure whether i would be able to do this due to pain in my knees which i have had for 4 years, and unsure whether it will have gone for the time i'm at university.

I also have always wanted to be rich, drive super cars, live in a mansion! Don't we all? But i have seemed to want this more than most people. Maybe because i felt imferior quite often through my childhood, my brother often made me feel taht way, and so did my parents so i probably feel the need to prove myself materialistically, so this may result in my desire to be rich and turn heads with nice cars etc.. Ah well.

Anyway, does anyone else feel like this?
    What do you suggest?
    Anyone else been in the same boat as me? How did it turn out?
    Anything else you think would be constructive to this topic?

Thanks for your time and replies,
    Hope you have a nice day.

ReputationRep:
    You won't need work experience for many courses, so there's no need to worry about that. Why would knee problems prevent you from studying physiotherapy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    You won't need work experience for many courses, so there's no need to worry about that. Why would knee problems prevent you from studying physiotherapy?
    Even top universities? My brother went to an ok university so i feel i have to live up to this. If i have to do practical i can't stand around for hours and stuff, not really my concern but my mum thought i'd not be able to do it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be looking to far into the future, you want to do someone you will find interesting not what is good for money.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in pretty much the same boat. I have no idea what I should study at uni, either.
    I'm thinking dance, drama, creative writing, media, journalism, scenography, technical theatre, arts administration, event management or education. So not much to choose from. xD
    We have until January latest to decide, though. So it's not something we should worry about and rush around sorting out right now, we still have time to think it through.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry too much. Go out to some uni open days and have a look at as much as you can, find out about the courses, and just see if it is the sort of thing that would appeal to you. And don't worry about work experience. Not everybody is able to get it, so it is highly unlikely they will reject you because you don't have it. And if they do then there's something wrong. Don't choose something to become rich, but do it because you want to, and because you will enjoy doing it. Money is certainly not happiness.

And I wouldn't recommend waiting until Jan, try and get it off earlier if you can, competition will be high this year due to the financial situation, less jobs etc. People who may not have usually, are now staying in education to 'weather the storm' so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    I am finding this thread helpful, more posts help please!

ReputationRep:
    well i'm only ive only just finished year 11 but everyone in my year seems to already know too - it's soooo annoying when people keep asking me.

i have a few ideas of what i want to do but they're all pretty different.

i've thought about politics/philosophy/law/primary school teaching/nursing/radiography..

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go into primary education then just go for a good range of a levels. As far as I have seen, they are not fussy about what the subjects are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peteo)
    Ok, i have just finished year 12. Awaiting my AS results. When i ask everyone what they want to do at university they seem so settled on it, i ask and i usualyl get a subject answer back. I have a few ideas, but can't decide and it's hard for getting work experience etc

Am i the only one who isn't sure yet? I'm scared i'l have to decide what to do with gteh rest of my life in the last few weeks, and that's really scary.

I'm interested in psychology, but the mahjority of psychology graduates don't become psychologists, and teh otehrs seem togo into jobs that don't really require a degree. I am also interested in physiotheraphy, but i'm unsure whether i would be able to do this due to pain in my knees which i have had for 4 years, and unsure whether it will have gone for the time i'm at university.

I also have always wanted to be rich, drive super cars, live in a mansion! Don't we all? But i have seemed to want this more than most people. Maybe because i felt imferior quite often through my childhood, my brother often made me feel taht way, and so did my parents so i probably feel the need to prove myself materialistically, so this may result in my desire to be rich and turn heads with nice cars etc.. Ah well.

Anyway, does anyone else feel like this?
    What do you suggest?
    Anyone else been in the same boat as me? How did it turn out?
    Anything else you think would be constructive to this topic?

Thanks for your time and replies,
    Hope you have a nice day.
    You could do some sort of biology degree or neauroscience or optometry or audiology. pysiotherapy you should really have some work exp for. Psychology is a very popular degree also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liaxx)
    We have until January latest to decide, though. So it's not something we should worry about and rush around sorting out right now, we still have time to think it through.
    Although applications close January, the universities make offers before that. So it IS rather important to be thinking about it now. That's not to say be headless chickens running about, but it's bad to think, 'Yeah, I can lay back until January.' :redface:

ReputationRep:
    get a list of potential subjects or career paths. Number each option. Use a random number generator to pick a path.
    Have a nice life.

ReputationRep:
    well youve got time to decide a whole summer and untill january im going off to university in september have applied but dont know for certain if thats the course i want to do so i have like a month to decide what course to pick and i have no idea!

ReputationRep:
    I think that there are some courses at uni that you need to have decided on in advance. For example, I've just finished yr 11 but I've decided that I want to do medicine. You should really think about it though, but carefully. You don't wanna do somethng that you end up hating after the first week.

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same, I'm also waiting for my AS results and my teachers are expecting me to apply to a "good" university possibly even oxbridge but I have no idea what i want to study and they say that I have to know so that I can do extra reading and prove my passion and enthusiasim for the subject - so i told my school i would apply for history and was told to pick a topic of interest and study it.

However I'm still not sure that I don't want to study geography as I have always been fascinated by the way the world works and as such do quite well in it as a subject.

Then again my passion has always been theatre/singing

Its all such a dilema and so hard to decide what to do.

So just like you OP i need help!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallulah_)
    I think that there are some courses at uni that you need to have decided on in advance. For example, I've just finished yr 11 but I've decided that I want to do medicine.
    Yes most medicine students, and students going to Oxbridge will have their applications off by the end of September, with the deadline being 15th October, very competitive.

(Original post by hardy_4_paws)
    I feel exactly the same, I'm also waiting for my AS results and my teachers are expecting me to apply to a "good" university possibly even oxbridge but I have no idea what i want to study and they say that I have to know so that I can do extra reading and prove my passion and enthusiasim for the subject - so i told my school i would apply for history and was told to pick a topic of interest and study it.

However I'm still not sure that I don't want to study geography as I have always been fascinated by the way the world works and as such do quite well in it as a subject.

Then again my passion has always been theatre/singing

Its all such a dilema and so hard to decide what to do.

So just like you OP i need help!!!
    Do what you know you will enjoy. Get on UCAS, have a look at possible courses you might want to study and see which universities offer them. Then go through one by one and see what each unis course is like, see if you think it would suit you, look at what modules are involved etc. Don't forget to also look at what the place is like to live at. And don't let your school bully you into certain subjects or unis, positive encouragement is good, but at the end of the day only you know what's truly best for you.

ReputationRep:
    i'm in the same situation, but to be honest not many of my friends know what subject they want to do at university!
    i mean most people have an idea of what area they are interested in, but it's not untill you have been to some open days and seen what the courses are like, that you will actually realise what you wanna do.
    so i'm not worrying, and i'm just waiting for the AS results to come out so i can go to some open day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morg)
    i'm in the same situation, but to be honest not many of my friends know what subject they want to do at university!
    i mean most people have an idea of what area they are interested in, but it's not untill you have been to some open days and seen what the courses are like, that you will actually realise what you wanna do.
    so i'm not worrying, and i'm just waiting for the AS results to come out so i can go to some open day!
    Don't wait! Some are happening right now, so make sure you don't miss any. I missed one for Plymouth and now have to wait till mid October, which is really when I wanted my application off by.

ReputationRep:
    My brother keeps telling me not to do a useless degree, like he did History and politics and couldn't really get a decent job, so did an Masters this year. He keeps telling me he knows so many people who did generic degrees like him and as there are so many people gaining these, they are worth the same as A levels are worth a few years ago. This scares me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.