The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Mos Def
You go to ur flatmates house and all play 'Who can code xyz program the fastest'

Dude! This is my uni you are talking about, it's not that bad. How did your year go anyway? Got your results? PM me.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
bruceleej
Dude! This is my uni you are talking about, it's not that bad. How did your year go anyway? Got your results? PM me.

haha :P
Emc2
I know it doesn't really make my argument any stronger, but the quotation is not uncited (I would never even dream of quoting it if it was), this is the pool they mentioned. With a sample size of 100, it's hardly the most significant study on the subject, but it sort of reinforces my point that the majority of computer scientists in the world believe that P!=NP (see section 2.2 in the aforementioned paper). Mind you, this is not an argument for P!=NP, it's merely an argument for the fact that most computer scientists believe that P!=NP.

You do raise a good point about Fermat's last theorem, and I know computational theory doesn't work on assumptions or intuitions, but to be honest I still like to think that we're never going to be able to factorise in polynomial time, or even find a polynomial-time algorithm for the travelling salesman problem, or any of the thousands of other NP-complete problems (not all of them, anyway). I think it all comes down to a matter of personal opinion really, you choose to be "agnostic" whereas I am more of an "atheist" when it comes to believing P=NP.

P.S. And yes, I agree that the philosophical argument is absolute rubbish.

The paper you linked to is quite interesting when you read the statistics. However, wikipedia, in its blind urge to misread things forgot the "Of those who answered". 22 people took the opinion that they could not say.

In terms of history I would say you are more like the Christians, convinced that based on evidence given to you so far, and the implications if you were wrong, that you must be right.

You are going into something you haven't studied properly with a very closed mind don't you think?

The thing about finding one Polynomial-time algorithm for the NP-complete set is that it brings them all down with it. Along with years of computational theory based on the assumption and a revolution in philosophy.

If that alone isn't worth keeping an open mind that P might equal NP then nothing is! Fight the establishment while you are a young Undergraduate and make your mind up on the issue much later after years of study. That way you're not going in with prejudice.
Reply 23
sir.jamesgreen
The paper you linked to is quite interesting when you read the statistics. However, wikipedia, in its blind urge to misread things forgot the "Of those who answered". 22 people took the opinion that they could not say.

In terms of history I would say you are more like the Christians, convinced that based on evidence given to you so far, and the implications if you were wrong, that you must be right.

You are going into something you haven't studied properly with a very closed mind don't you think?

The thing about finding one Polynomial-time algorithm for the NP-complete set is that it brings them all down with it. Along with years of computational theory based on the assumption and a revolution in philosophy.

If that alone isn't worth keeping an open mind that P might equal NP then nothing is! Fight the establishment while you are a young Undergraduate and make your mind up on the issue much later after years of study. That way you're not going in with prejudice.

Well, I wouldn't say I have a "very closed mind", but I believe that even though there are no formal proofs (and I don't think any will be produced within my lifetime), one has to take a particular stance regarding the argument. It's an extreme example, but if everyone believed that P=NP, we wouldn't use RSA (for reasons that I won't go into so as not to insult your intelligence), and it probably would never have been developed to begin with. I'm all for keeping an open mind, and I appreciate your encouragement to "fight the establishment", but I also think it's necessary to lean towards one of the two possible outcomes, and act accordingly within one's line of work as a computer scientist.

That said, I think we might want to settle on agreeing to disagree for the moment, in the hope (if you'll decide to honour me with your company) that we'll have the chance to discuss the matter further come October :smile: I'm sure it would make for a very interesting evening at the pub, and it would be nice talking to you face to face, for a bit of a change.
Reply 24
I think Emc2 and sir.jamesgreen just gave you an excellent preview :biggrin:

Edit: Little bit of both I suppose =D
Reply 25
sunspoon
One word of advice: if you're an civil or mechanical engineer, don't bother with the bridge building and go out for possibly the last week of fun before your hard work begins.

Damn :emo:
Reply 26
fox_amro
Damn :emo:

Not true :biggrin:

I was drunk every day of that week, causing me amongst other things to fail the retard maths test, but damnit that bridge got built!
Reply 27
ponjavic
Not true :biggrin:

I was drunk every day of that week, causing me amongst other things to fail the retard maths test, but damnit that bridge got built!

Lol we had a diagnostic maths test too but it wasnt until the third week that it was scheduled, to our surprise because we thought they'd forgotten about it.
So a freshers' week discussion has now turned into a computer science forum...

Latest

Trending

Trending