Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I sleep comfortably on an aeroplane? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a 11 hour plane journey. How can I sleep comfortably and is there any items which could help me sleep?

ReputationRep:
    I find it really difficult too sleep because I never do when I travel but the best way I got comfortable was to take a pillow with me and get the window seat. Then you can lean on the window which is so much more comfortable than the other seats :yep: Only problem with window seats is if you need the loo in the middle of the night...

ReputationRep:
    Eye mask, ear plugs, music and headphones, inflatable pillow, window seat and a blanket.

ReputationRep:
    Well you could do what i do and don't sleep the night before, then you will be so tired you can sleep anywhere.

And for a £5 you can travel pillow which really helps

Oh and I took some sleeping pills once which wiped me out for 8 hours, but then once the flight was over i felt really drowzy

ReputationRep:
    Take a blankey, planes can get pretty chilly and I can never sleep when im cold

ReputationRep:
    http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...abin/index.jsp

Perfect!

ReputationRep:
    I try and make sure I'm really tired then read a bit, that usually sends me over the edge and no matter how uncomfortable I will fall asleep.

ReputationRep:
    I wish!!:yes:

ReputationRep:
    The lack of space always stops me from falling asleep :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Depends on where you're going and if the plane is packed to be honest.
    I went to Saudi a couple of years ago and there was approximately 20 people on-board. We got pillows, blankets and earplugs + were allowed to move to other seats and sleep on them. :suith: That was the only comfortable plane-ride I've ever had.

BOLD: bring these with you. And don't sit near an annoying kid.

ReputationRep:
    impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Rohypnol.

But seriously, take a blanket and stuff, and wear layers so you can adjust yourself to the temperature.

ReputationRep:
    buy a first class ticket

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)
    I have a 11 hour plane journey. How can I sleep comfortably and is there any items which could help me sleep?
    Pills?

ReputationRep:
    Definately take a pillow and sit by the window seat! If I'm sat anywhere else but the window seat, I unfold the tray and rest my arms and head on there but it's not comfortable at all I slept sat up on my last plane journey, awful!

ReputationRep:
    Noise cancelling headphones, sleeping pillow, sleeping blindfold. If you could adjust your seat do so. 11 hours means long-haul, so complimentary drinks are probably available. In that case I found a good glass of brandy/cognac/spirits in general helps you to go down pretty quick

ReputationRep:
    Benzodiazepines :yes: knocked me right out and made me really relaxed as i'm scared of flying :p:

It's hard to sleep in one seat. I've been quite lucky on flight, as always usually check in quite late, so sit near the back, and sometimes they've had rows frees which i nab to lie down across. Otherwise, good earplugs, eye mask and normal sleeping pills.

ReputationRep:
    - Take your own pillow along with some earplugs/anti-noise headphones
    - Sleeping pills can help
    - Try get on a flight that isn't boarded by many people (a free row of seats is basically a small bed for yourself)
    - Ask if there are any window seats left if you haven't got one
    - Try put your seat back as far as possible
    - Use a footrest of some sort (like your bag) to make your legs/feet more comfortable

ReputationRep:
    If you are travelling with Ryanair. You can't sleep, it's impossible. I'm pretty sure they'll start charging for that too.

Anywhooo I can think of nothing else that has not been said.

Just get drunk. Either you will get sleepy or the boredom will be a bit more tolerable as random events get randomly funny.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.