Turn on thread page Beta

How can I sleep comfortably on an aeroplane? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im going with thompson

ReputationRep:
    You can't

ReputationRep:
    I've never been able to sleep. I felt like I was going to die when I flew to Hong Kong. I deliberately didn't sleep the night before but since I couldn't sleep on the plane that just meant I felt really crap.

I think your best bet is to try not to sleep on the plane. A plane journey where you're awake the whole time and can watch tv/listen to music/read is much preferable to a plane journey where you're completely exhausted but can't sleep and can't appreciate any of the distractions either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleApricot)
    Take a blankey, planes can get pretty chilly and I can never sleep when im cold
    Yeah it does get cold :p: . Gets to about - 45 celcius at around 35000ft.

ReputationRep:
    Don't sleep the night before so you're completely exhausted, works for me.

Also, though admittedly they cost loads (got massive reductions! ), Bose's Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones are amazing... filter all the noise right out.

ReputationRep:
    i got just the seat for you! enjoy sir :P http://biztravelguru.com/blogs/busin...l-Flat-Bed.jpg

but seriously... what he said but without the music o.O and take some sleeping pills too.
    (Original post by Thrace)
    Eye mask, ear plugs, music and headphones, inflatable pillow, window seat and a blanket.

ReputationRep:
    Business class seat and a couple of glasses of wine did the trick for me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)
    Im going with thompson
    I went with that too.... the most relaxing airline I've been on, that is if your on the plane with the thompson logo and not the one with first choice on it

ReputationRep:
    I've found it difficult and the only way I've slept is the way that's already been mentioned; our flight was delayed so it left after midnight meaning I was quite tired anyway and then I put the table down and leant on that. Checking in early and asking for a window seat and taking a pillow sounds like the best idea though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starsdream2)
    If you are travelling with Ryanair. You can't sleep, it's impossible. I'm pretty sure they'll start charging for that too.

Anywhooo I can think of nothing else that has not been said.
    made me chuckle! :p:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I had a 12 hour flight from London to Beijing a couple of years ago... it wasn't comfortable, but I did sleep for a good 9 hours. As others have said, a travel pillow and some earplugs will do the trick. If you could get one of those travel pillows that wraps around your neck, it would be beneficial, because then you don't need to worry too much about where/who you rest on (which is another note, try and sit next to the wall of the aeroplane if possible).

ReputationRep:
    Pull the little table down in front of you and sleep huddled over it. Old sleeping in class technique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)
    Im going with thompson
    me thinks you should clean up your PMs :p:

its restricting me from replying

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your advise.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.