Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i would say i'm generally content with life. I mean, on the surface, it's going well; I do well in school and have a good social life.

Yet I can't help yearning to be older. I'm 16 and I just want to be free and independent. I want to have a serious relationship. I want to hang around with people because I genuinely like them, not because they mix in my current social circle.

I want the diversity of university life. Im bored of being this age and I want to move on.

Yet surely being 16 should be one of the best times in life. Why can't I relish it?

Does anyone else feel similar?

Im not certain what i'm trying to gain from this thread. I just want to discuss life with anyone!! So feel to post

ReputationRep:
    being 16 sucks - time will fly though

ReputationRep:
    wait till you're 20+ and you will wish you were 16 again. Fact.

You never miss something till it's gone forever.

ReputationRep:
    I say feel privileged to be at an age where you're old enough to be taken seriously by most people, adults and teenagers, but don't carry the responsibilities of tough work, chores and other life issues. You have it easy at the moment, don't underestimate how hard things can become in a couple of years time! :yes:

Being 15/16 was the best time of my life because I was taken seriously, I was happy doing the stuff I enjoyed but I didn't have loads of responsibilities in life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    wait till you're 20+ and you will wish you were 16 again. Fact.

You never miss something till it's gone forever.
    Ha yeah probably.

So anyone who's 20+, can you give me some life advice? haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Innately_Hedonistic)
    So anyone who's 20+, can you give me some life advice? haha
    Yea, enjoy your 16-18 years!

ReputationRep:
    you'll get to your end of your A levels and wish you were just beginning. Enjoy being 16 and savour it before you suddenly come snowed under with work. Still i can't wait till i'm 18 and uni this year. roll on september

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 in sixth form and I feel a bit like that too. I'm fed up with Secondary School and just wanna skip to uni already. Still, I only have one more year to go, so it's not too bad. I'm also trying to grow my hair long and I need time to speed up already so I can get my goal length. Anyway, I say, just make the best of the good things in life, your past and your present help to shape your future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willsh16)
    you'll get to your end of your A levels and wish you were just beginning. Enjoy being 16 and savour it before you suddenly come snowed under with work. Still i can't wait till i'm 18 and uni this year. roll on september
    really? are a-levels fun then! or are you just talking about 6th form life? jealous that you're going to uni soon.

I just can't get the bloc party song "2 more years" out of my head. It fits so well

ReputationRep:
    I felt like that occasionally, but it's not a good way to be. 16 is a great age - you have many freedoms of adults and start to be taken seriously, while having no responsibility really (meaning your food/shelter is paid for, no kids). It's all opportunities, friends, and it's the time to start deciding what you want to do with your life. While I also can't wait for 6th form and uni raves & the like, it's best to just enjoy the good bits of every age/time e.g. 12 week holiday. LIVE NOW or you'll miss the fun, is the moral of the story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Innately_Hedonistic)
    really? are a-levels fun then! or are you just talking about 6th form life? jealous that you're going to uni soon.

I just can't get the bloc party song "2 more years" out of my head. It fits so well
    A levels are pretty good time of your life i enjoyed them anyway, but the reason would like to go back to the beginning is so that i can work a lot harder done a lot better than i did. That way i might not be as worried with getting my results this summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    I felt like that occasionally, but it's not a good way to be. 16 is a great age - you have many freedoms of adults and start to be taken seriously, while having no responsibility really (meaning your food/shelter is paid for, no kids). It's all opportunities, friends, and it's the time to start deciding what you want to do with your life. While I also can't wait for 6th form and uni raves & the like, it's best to just enjoy the good bits of every age/time e.g. 12 week holiday. LIVE NOW or you'll miss the fun, is the moral of the story
    YOU JUST COPIED ME!!! :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    YOU JUST COPIED ME!!! :mad2:
    In different wording:p: I was thinking the same thing though, if that helps

ReputationRep:
    You'll hit 18 and never want to turn 19....

16 is a pretty awkward age and I remember really wanting life to just hurry up but when I hit 6th form things started to get more interesting and more responsibility was given to me so I stopped minding as much. But I've always been old headed, lol.

Although it won't mean much to you, try and enjoy what you have now, you're in a pretty cushy place at the moment and from 16 onwards it does get more exciting!

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you make all your stupid mistakes now and learn life lessons early, then you can properly enjoy the rest of your youth.

ReputationRep:
    mate i'm 15 and although i don't have all the freedom i would like lifes still pretty good. life is what you make of it , you want to be in a serious relationship then its up to you to start one, want to mix with other people then just do it. but dont try and grow up too fast , the number of people i know who become all snobbish because they're apparently " too mature " to laugh at silly penis pictures and stuff like that end up as solcial rejects

ReputationRep:
    I was like this at school - that's part of the reason why I left a year early. Not everyone is happy in the little high school bubble, but just rest assured that you'll be out of there in a few years and enjoy what you have right now as much as you can.

Also, I listened to that song non-stop in my last year of school. (:

ReputationRep:
    Exactly how I felt dude, if you don't like someone though, don't keep hanging round with them just because it fulfills you socially

ReputationRep:
    nah i loved being 16, it was the age when i started sixth form college and the two years were awesome.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.