Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,

I am a bit confused as to which universty i want to go to. I went to the Kent open day and thought the uni looked perfect, i really liked it. However from my 5 universities i have applied to i have not seen two of them and just wondered if anyone else visited them and had an opinion.

I am prediciting realistically that i will get ABB

My five universities are:

Kent - ABB
    Exeter - AAB
    Southampton - AAB
    Warwick - ABB (with science , which i have , biology)
    York - ABB

I did not get to see York or Warwick.

What are your thoughts on any of these universities, from social life to the campus and accomadation. What is Warwick uni like?

I am going to study psychology btw

ReputationRep:
    How come uv not replied to offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 12.. I have not even got my AS level results yet lol ... the three grades i put up is what i am aiming to get when going into A2. Because in september i start to apply for universities but i wanted to know more about Warwick as i am putting it in my 5 univerisity shortlist

ReputationRep:
    I've stopped on the smaller campus within Warwick uni (Westwood) and it's lovely...nice campus, nice atmosphere but then again I wasn't there in term time. It's quite a way out from Coventry though so I'd imagine it'd be quite expensive to get back from clubs and stuff on a night out. The halls are about standard compared to others I've seen...there's a tiny little bar on that campus but a lot bigger student union on the main campus. I'd say it's a nice uni but if you want to be in the middle of a city don't go there! You're a bit of a way out from the hustle and bustle.

ReputationRep:
    ite kl thanks for the comments,, yeh i will go to the one in september but i just wanted other peoples opinion aswell. I will also go to see york then i would of seen all 5 of my shortlist of uni's.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but u did say "from the 5 unis I applied to?". Anyway yeh go to the Warwick openbdays they are really well organized.

ReputationRep:
    sorry my bad english lol.. i dont read over when i typed. something that i will have to do now lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bh_92)
    Hi ,

I am a bit confused as to which universty i want to go to. I went to the Kent open day and thought the uni looked perfect, i really liked it. However from my 5 universities i have applied to i have not seen two of them and just wondered if anyone else visited them and had an opinion.

I am prediciting realistically that i will get ABB

My five universities are:

Kent - ABB
    Exeter - AAB
    Southampton - AAB
    Warwick - ABB (with science , which i have , biology)
    York - ABB

I did not get to see York or Warwick.

What are your thoughts on any of these universities, from social life to the campus and accomadation. What is Warwick uni like?

I am going to study psychology btw

I got all my offers when I applied... and funnily enough, I looked round most of them and Kent was by far my favourite. I was determined to go there. I also liked Southampton. But it was recommended to me that I also apply to a Uni in the next catergory up- so someone suggested Warwick. I hadn't even been to an open day, as I lived abroad and it wasn't on my original list... and then I put it as my first choice and ended up going there.
    AND I AM SO GLAD I DID! I think I would have been happy at Kent too, but Warwick is just amazing, the campus is huge and it's got an excellent reputation. I'd say go for it if you can.

Warwick is big but friendly and the campus has everything you need. I'm so glad I went there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    I got all my offers when I applied... and funnily enough, I looked round most of them and Kent was by far my favourite. I was determined to go there. I also liked Southampton. But it was recommended to me that I also apply to a Uni in the next catergory up- so someone suggested Warwick. I hadn't even been to an open day, as I lived abroad and it wasn't on my original list... and then I put it as my first choice and ended up going there.
    AND I AM SO GLAD I DID! I think I would have been happy at Kent too, but Warwick is just amazing, the campus is huge and it's got an excellent reputation. I'd say go for it if you can.

Warwick is big but friendly and the campus has everything you need. I'm so glad I went there.
    I see a lot of your posts complimenting Warwick (which is encouraging) but I'm starting out at Warwick this year and I feel nervous at the prospect. Anything you can say to reassure me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I see a lot of your posts complimenting Warwick (which is encouraging) but I'm starting out at Warwick this year and I feel nervous at the prospect. Anything you can say to reassure me?
    You're going to be a fresher you mean?
    Don't worry, I think everyone is always really excited and a little bit nervous with it. But EVERYONE starting there later this year will be in exactly the same position...so it's mega easy to make friends, because everyone just starts talking easily, and everything is new for everyone so you don't need to be worried. I was a bit nervous originally about the prospect of going to lectures and seminars, instead of the classes like in school, but you adjust so easily and it's a good environment to learn in. Lectures can be quite large and they don't take attendance normally, as you don't participate normally but just listen to the lecturer and maybe make notes, but they are handy for extra knowledge on certain topics. Seminars are smaller groups where you can discuss things, more like what you were used to in school probably.

I have missed Warwick during my year abroad because the campus really does have everything on it and the people are mostly really nice too. The gym is good too and there's a tesco nearby which helps. And buses run actually through the campus and go to coventry and leamington so it's easy to get around if you fancy leaving campus too!

I've also read a lot of positive comments about Warwick on here, not just my own haha, and I think there's enough to tell you it's a great place to be! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    You're going to be a fresher you mean?
    Yeah, that's right, fresher, undergraduate, whatever you want to call it...

When I visited Warwick in May last year, I just got this vibe from the place and I knew it was somewhere I wanted to go (not sure whether I'll be feeling this when accommodation moves off-campus in 2nd and 3rd year). So I applied and got an offer

It was kind of hard to judge the people though and it's been a while since I visited. Add that to me going to university for the first time, I am nervous definitely :sad:

ReputationRep:

When I visited Warwick in May last year, I just got this vibe from the place and I knew it was somewhere I wanted to go (not sure whether I'll be feeling this when accommodation moves off-campus in 2nd and 3rd year). So I applied and got an offer

It was kind of hard to judge the people though and it's been a while since I visited. Add that to me going to university for the first time, I am nervous definitely :sad:
    warwick is amazing. just make sure you dont get too carried away and start missing lectures/seminars, youll regret it later. what are you worried about in particular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    warwick is amazing. just make sure you dont get too carried away and start missing lectures/seminars, youll regret it later. what are you worried about in particular?
    the usual stuff - workload, making friends with completely new people, where i'll be living and stuff like cooking/washing/general independence

ReputationRep:
    the usual stuff - workload, making friends with completely new people, where i'll be living and stuff like cooking/washing/general independence
    the workload is tough. i can only think of one course that i knew off that seemed to have it easy, just make sure you go to all the seminars and lectures. everyones nervous about making new friends but tbh everyones very friendly and excited about making new friends too so it will work out. there are also ********* of societies out there where you can meet people. what accommodation are you staying at? cooking? pretty simple, you dont need to learn how to cook of restaurant quality meals breakfast for me was eggs&bacon/cereal lunch was fruit/pizza/sandwhiches etc and dinner a rotation of fish/beef/pork/chicken with pasta/rice/etc + vegetables or take out. its pretty simple stuff. regarding washing - there are washing machines in the center of campus which you can use and theyre open 24/7 iirc. some accommodations have their own laundry rooms too i think (AV does apparently?). Independence? well just make sure you dont piss off the warden with 2am full volume drinking sessions and you should be fine.

ReputationRep:

It's a great place and it's so much fun to be new that it will probably fly past! Everyone will be making new friends, you'll have met people before you even realise it, sounds crazy but trust me it really is that easy.

I know some people who prefer living on campus and others who enjoyed living off in the 2nd year more (and have chosen to live off in the last year even though they can live on if they want!)
    The buses aren't too bad, coventry is very close, Leamington has a lot going on but is a bit of a longer bus journey to campus each morning, depends what you prefer. Personally, I prefer living on the campus and am happy to be there again next year!

ReputationRep:
    The workload in the first year is (in my opinion) lighter than the final year of school! It depends on your course, I know someone doing law who always had a lot of work to do.
    But mostly, the first year is only light workload, second year you have to work harder. Obviously, when you have your final year exams there is going to be a lot of work, but you will be more prepared for that by that point!

As long as you keep on top of the work you will be fine. You'll only have a problem if you don't do anything at all or leave everything until the last minute. But you learn these things as you go along and we all make mistakes and then improve on it the next year! I think I've just about got it right and I'm just going into my 4th year... so yeah :-P

I love the independence of being at Uni, it's such a great thing to do what you want, when you want without having to justify it to parents etc. You learn a lot about yourself and what you want and like. And again, you make mistakes like staying up so late all of the first year that it;s hard to stay awake in classes haha.... but then second year you sort yourself out!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.