Turn on thread page Beta

Revolutions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Mostly out've curiosity.

If someone decided to start a revolution now... if not in england, but in a country where it would be easier to topple the government - say, somewhere in Africa - would you join, or would you not bother, with your reason for not bothering being: "that place has nothing to do with me, so I'd rather not risk my life"?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't get involved with the politics of another country.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I risk my life over some revolution in Africa?

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends largely on what the revolution is in favour of... and even more largely on the fact that it's not in ones home country

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were talking about the club/bar

Theres goes my chance to **** it off.

ReputationRep:
    Mark Thatcher would. Sorry, Sir Mark Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    each country must choose their own road to revolution, you cant go and simply start one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    would you join, or would you not bother, with your reason for not bothering being: "that place has nothing to do with me, so I'd rather not risk my life"?
    No. My reason for not bothering would be as follows: "I honestly don't care about political upheaval in [an unstable country]. Que sera sera and all that."

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I thought the "s" may have been accidentally added, and that this was about me

ReputationRep:
    Dangerous territory that. I wouldn't personally.
    Look how much trouble Mark Thatcher got into.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. What is the cause of the revolution, chances of success and what country it's in.

ReputationRep:
    I would, on the condition that I got to rule the country once we take over. I'd then proceed to make a deal with the previous government to kill off my side, and for the previous government to come back.

Get rid of some anarchists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Dangerous territory that. I wouldn't personally.
    Look how much trouble Mark Thatcher got into.
    It's ironic. People want to make an impact on the world, or change it in some shape or form. Third world countries are ideal places to make that change happen... and people don't want to do it, because it isn't 'their' country. They're confining the 'impact' they want their lives to have to a small area where they've always lived, and where everything is already bearable/tolerable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Mostly out've curiosity.

If someone decided to start a revolution now... if not in england, but in a country where it would be easier to topple the government - say, somewhere in Africa - would you join, or would you not bother, with your reason for not bothering being: "that place has nothing to do with me, so I'd rather not risk my life"?
    It's not that easy just ask Sir Mark Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Mark Thatcher would. Sorry, Sir Mark Thatcher.
    Beaten to it!

ReputationRep:
    Also look at Che Guerva, the revolutionary everyone seems to idolise on those t-shirts. He was part of the revolution in Cuba.
    After the successfull revolution in Cuba he went on and tried to do the same in another South American country. The result was that he failed, was caught and killed.

It's not glorious, and you mostly become idolised if your dead or when you are dead or killed.

ReputationRep:
    Only the Spanish Civil War mk.2 would have me interested, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    Only the Spanish Civil War mk.2 would have me interested, really.
    How about Glasgow mk.2? I'm not sure they could afford to send tanks this time....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_George_Square

ReputationRep:
    There are two types of people in a revolution. Those that perish and those that make a profit.

ReputationRep:
    In fact, this hugely depends on the nature of the revolution, but I think I'd be more likely to join on the side of the government.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.