Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,

I am a bit confused as to which universty i want to go to. I went to the Kent open day and thought the uni looked perfect, i really liked it. However from my 5 universities i have applied to i have not seen two of them and just wondered if anyone else visited them and had an opinion.

I am prediciting realistically that i will get ABB

My five universities are:

Kent - ABB
    Exeter - AAB
    Southampton - AAB
    Warwick - ABB (with science , which i have , biology)
    York - ABB

I did not get to see York or Warwick.

What are your thoughts on any of these universities (particualry York), from social life to the campus and accomadation. I heard it is similar to the Kent campus.

I am going to study psychology btw

ReputationRep:
    In terms of league tables and reputation (which I guess isn't that important), Kent is probably slightly less respected than the others.
    I think they are all campus unis, but York is slightly different from others as it doesn't have a centralised student union. It has individual colleges, so this could be seen as an advantage or a disadvantage.
    York is notorious for having lots of pubs, serving real-ale and a range of beers. However, for clubbing its pretty limited. Although, in comparison to Warwick, I imagine its havenly in comparison.
    The campus at York is very concrete and 60's, so probably not the most attractive. It would definitely be worth visiting.

ReputationRep:
    The top two universities in that list are probably York and Warwick. I also had to make a choice between the two a couple of months ago, so the deliberations are still fresh in my mind.

Warwick probably has the slight upper hand academics wise; it is arguably a top five university while York is more of a fringe top ten. However, I feel a first from either university is as competitive as the other, except maybe in IB where they have a preference for Warwick (only noticeable if you study maths or economics).

Since the academic difference was so negligible, my deciding factor was the atmosphere. Warwick was simply too geeky for me… doesn’t even have a fresher’s week! It’s like a poor man’s LSE in that they work you ragged (In big lectures with no tutorials) and because there is a preponderant international contingent that detracts from the experience. It is not that I dislike international students; it’s that the ones they typically accept aren’t very social.

The collegiate system and the tutorials strengthened York’s case to me, but I accept that is not to everyone’s taste.

The location was also an issue. I couldn’t handle living in the Warwick bubble with my only escape being the poor and distant duo of Leamington spa and Coventry. York on the other hand is a beautiful town to get lost in if one tires of campus.

Thinking about it now, I might throw Exeter in to the hat. Watch unionveiw.com, it is quite useful.

Oh i forgot to add... york's campus is frankly ugly. Warwick has a better looking campus, so if aesthetics ranks high on your priorities then Warwick it is.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your comments they do help lol. The social aspect is important, so maybe warwick goes down the pecking order. Im not sure if i like the idea of a collegiate system or not... I will have to see it for myself for that one.

Thanks for the hep
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Personally I prefer York's campus to Warwick's, the latter being a very modern campus, full of imposing white buildings, grey concrete and not much else. Though York is plagued by 60's architecture and CLASP buildings, it at least has a decent amount of greenery, no roads running through campus, plus the lake set in the middle.

If there ever was a campus bubble, Warwick fits the bill. It's quite literally in the middle of nowhere. True they have a Student's Union that's an actual bar rather than an office, up to you to decide if one large venue beats six small venues I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I also prefer York's campus. When I went to look around Warwick, it felt like I was on an industrial estate, I really couldn't imagine myself living there at all.

ReputationRep:
    I went to visit both York and Warwick for open days. Both campuses are modern and I preferred York as it has nicer landscaping around with gardens, trees and the huge central lake. I found Warwick, on the other hand to bit a bit overly grey (although I had just been on an open day to St andrews, so maybe my impression of the campus was a bit distorted). I generally fely York uni had more character about its buildings at its location i.e. being so close to the lovely city of York swung it for me.

Social life wise - they seem about equal, although I felt there was a heavier international presence at Warwick. However, York collegegiate system seems likely to promote a close knit community more than regular halls.

If you have not applied to uni yet which i'm presuming found time to visit them both (and the nearest town)even if you don't go on an openday an talk to the students. If you've already decided these are your fiv choices for ucas, wait until you get offers, then visit (as you can't be sure where you'll be accepted).

ReputationRep:
    Hang on I've just read you've applied already...how come you still have 5 choices, haven't you already put a firm and insurance down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *R*a*c*h*)
    Hang on I've just read you've applied already...how come you still have 5 choices, haven't you already put a firm and insurance down?
    I think they have applied already but just checking them out and thinking which is there firm and insurance.

University open days

1. University of York
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of York
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sun, 16 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.