Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you marry someone with a different religion? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you marry someone with a different religion?
    I am a Christian man and I would marry someone with a different religion
    11.94%
    I am a Christian woman and I would marry someone with a different religion
    17.91%
    I am a Jewish man and I would marry someone with a different religion
    1.49%
    I am a Jewish woman and I would marry someone with a different religion
    0%
    I am a Muslim man and I would marry someone with a different religion
    10.45%
    I am a Muslim woman and I would marry someone with a different religion
    7.46%
    I am a Hindu man and I would marry someone with a different religion
    4.48%
    I am a Hindu woman and I would marry someone with a different religion
    2.99%
    I am a Buddhist man and I would marry someone with a different belief system
    0%
    I am a Buddhist woman and I would marry someone with a different belief system
    1.49%
    I am an agnostic/atheist man and I would marry someone with a different belief system
    23.88%
    I am an agnostic/atheist woman and I would marry someone with a different belief system
    17.91%

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I could marry a religious person. There would just be too much conflict and issues going on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an atheist and I'd have no problem with it, though we'd probably end up arguing about it.

Wouldn't Christians feel a bit weird about being in love with someone who they were convinced is going to burn in hell forever? (for those who do believe that)

ReputationRep:
    The fact there are no 'no' options makes the poll pretty worthless unfortunately.

In any case, I'm an agnostic male, and I would marry someone of differing religious beliefs. However, I wouldn't want our children to be brought up with any religion forced upon them.

Jim

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't there an option for "no, I wouldn't marry someone of a different religion?"

I MIGHT marry someone religious, but not if it was a major part of their life. Faith is just something I don't possess, and don't really want to - I feel like both of us would have to make massive compromises in order to make our relationship work, that I wouldn't really be comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, why not?

ReputationRep:
    I think I would but I couldn't convert to their religion. And I would want our children to be brought up Catholic or at least Christian, i.e. be baptised and attend church, not necessarily every week but Easter, Christmas etc. So their beliefs would actually have to be quite weak I suppose...hmm I never really considered this before! I would find it very difficult to be able to commit myself to someone who had radically different beliefs to mine.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how much their beliefs affected their day to day lives.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I could honestly care less about religious differences.

Btw this poll seems kinda flawed lol.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt mind marrying someone with a different religion. no one in my family is religious i think im the only one in my whole family who wants to belong to a religion.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean someone who just very vaguely believes in a certain religion, or someone who practises? There's a big difference.

If someone believes in a certain religion but doesn't really practise it, eg. follows some food rules [depending on religion, of course], tries to live as their religion asks etc. then yes. But if they actively practise eg. always going to their place of worship, praying as often as they have to [again this depends on their religion] and things like that, probably not because I, as an atheist, would find it difficult to live with someone who was very strongly religious.

ReputationRep:
    Where's the 'I wouldn't' option? You can't really ask this question without an answer that some people are bound to give.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, depending on the person... however Christmas is not up for debate!

ReputationRep:
    I am an agnostic.... probably getting closer to an atheist as time goes on.

I wouldn't mind being with someone who believed in something different. However, I wouldn't want it to be expected that I convert and I'd really struggle if they were very extreme about their religious views, or really preachy about me and my sinful ways.

I'd be happy to incorporate extra stuff in a marriage ceremony to please them/parents, whatever, but if we had kids I would want the kids raised in the way that seemed best, not the way religion dictated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    im Atheist. I would but my partner would have to accept that I wont be converting. However out of respect I would go to Church with them. I doubt a relationship were one partner is religious and one is not would work well, an old friend had parents like that. They'd argue quite a lot and basically lived together for their kids, not for love, in the end,
    That would be exactly my answer, I'd prefer to marry someone who's also Atheist though.

ReputationRep:
    Why is there no 'no' option?

I wouldn't...if they converted, then yeah, but otherwise it's a no-go. My religion's important to me and I don't think I could live with someone whose day-to-day activities went against my religion, and it's very important to me that my children grow up within my religion, which could cause friction if my spouse was of a different religion, or atheist or agnostic.

ReputationRep:
    No way could I marry someone with any kind of belief in a supreme deity (although I could handle Buddhism, that's a good religion). Abrahamic would be particularly bad. Not only are there the differing morals, which would be a HUGE barrier, but also that I tend to treat religion as another form of fiction and write stories about angels, and they'd probably just get offended.
    Plus, I wouldn't have my offspring raised in a religion. If they want to be religious when they are capable of making their own decisions, that's fine, but it shouldn't be forced down their throats before they're old enough to know better.

ReputationRep:
    I would not go out with someone religious.

ReputationRep:
    I would marry someone who is a different religion/belief set, because you can't help who you fall in love with, and if that is someone with a different religion or none then so be it.

If I'm honest, I'd rather the person I marry be the same religion as me as I just think it would make life easier. However, as I said before, that doesn't mean I wouldn't marry someone who was a different religion or who had none.

My current boyfriend is the same religion, and if all goes to plan, it's him I'll end up with!

ReputationRep:
    No, definetly not if they were very devout and it required me to convert. I just don't agree with a lot of religions so religion has no part in my life

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course. Would be stupid not to, imo

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.