Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you marry someone with a different religion? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you marry someone with a different religion?
    I am a Christian man and I would marry someone with a different religion
    11.94%
    I am a Christian woman and I would marry someone with a different religion
    17.91%
    I am a Jewish man and I would marry someone with a different religion
    1.49%
    I am a Jewish woman and I would marry someone with a different religion
    0%
    I am a Muslim man and I would marry someone with a different religion
    10.45%
    I am a Muslim woman and I would marry someone with a different religion
    7.46%
    I am a Hindu man and I would marry someone with a different religion
    4.48%
    I am a Hindu woman and I would marry someone with a different religion
    2.99%
    I am a Buddhist man and I would marry someone with a different belief system
    0%
    I am a Buddhist woman and I would marry someone with a different belief system
    1.49%
    I am an agnostic/atheist man and I would marry someone with a different belief system
    23.88%
    I am an agnostic/atheist woman and I would marry someone with a different belief system
    17.91%

I guess I would, but I wouldn't want to be converted.

ReputationRep:
    This poll = fail

but yes, I would. Provided they don't want me to convert and they accept my beliefs then I see no issue with religion :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I am Sikh, and I am gonna marry my long term boyfriend who is a Christian

ReputationRep:
    As long as he respects what I believe, and vice versa, I don't see a problem in marrying a guy who isn't from the same religion that I am from.

I am not very closely tied to my religion, but I wouldn't be opposed to marrying a man who is tied to his own religion. As long as he can see and accept where I'm coming from, I guess it would be okay.

I look for a moral character in the guy, not a religious one. Religion doesn't matter to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric Eel)
    As long as he respects what I believe, and vice versa, I don't see a problem in marrying a guy who isn't from the same religion that I am from.

I am not very closely tied to my religion, but I wouldn't be opposed to marrying a man who is tied to his own religion. As long as he can see and accept where I'm coming from, I guess it would be okay.

I look for a moral character in the guy, not a religious one. Religion doesn't matter to me.

If we only had more people like this one Good reply.

There's no option for not marrying them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ∑ Я ĩ k ė s ħ ξ)
    If we only had more people like this one Good reply.
    It's important to understand why people wouldn't want to marry those from another religion, though. There are so many issues that need to be sorted out, like the religion of the children, and which holidays to celebrate, and so forth.

I personally don't think that two extremely religious people from different religions would get along very well. But then again, if people don't want to marry those not in their religion it's fine as well. Where I live, most people wouldn't feel comfortable marrying someone who isn't a Muslim just because it clashes with our society's standards.

ReputationRep:
    It's important to understand why people wouldn't want to marry those from another religion, though. There are so many issues that need to be sorted out, like the religion of the children, and which holidays to celebrate, and so forth.

I personally don't think that two extremely religious people from different religions would get along very well. But then again, if people don't want to marry those not in their religion it's fine as well. Where I live, most people wouldn't feel comfortable marrying someone who isn't a Muslim just because it clashes with our society's standards.

Can I ask what religion you are?

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask what religion you are?
    I am a registered Muslim, but I don't really know how Muslim I would be considered by the pure meaning of the word.

ReputationRep:
    I am a registered Muslim, but I don't really know how Muslim I would be considered by the pure meaning of the word.

Thats quite honest and applaudable. So would your parents be happy with a person who isnt of your faith?

ReputationRep:
    Thats quite honest and applaudable. So would your parents be happy with a person who isnt of your faith?
    No, I don't think that they would. Perhaps they'd eventually be willing to see eye-to-eye with me because it'll make me happy, but I don't think they would be too convinced.

I don't think it really matters how happy my parents are with my future-partner's religion. The way I see it, if I marry someone they approve of but I don't want to marry then I'll have to live with it for the rest of my life. It's my life and my happiness, not theirs.

They wouldn't disinherit me or anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    I want to but i cant due to religion and parents

ReputationRep:
    LOL at the poll.. i've never seen one quite like it before.

but yes i am christian but i have dated men of other religons( i've dated a muslim boy.. but i seem to go out with/get lots of attention from jewish men-) so in short it would not be a probelm for me to marry a jewish or muslim boy or an atheist. my family has never had a probelm with it.. my racial background is mixed and there are many religions in my family.

however if it was a boy from a non-abrahamic religion i would still go out with him of course.. but i would have to think carefully about having children.. just because i want to pass on the idea of 'one god' to my children and if my husband was say hindu he may not agree with this view.

love is blind though and you never know where you find it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.