Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if i am in the right place but here goes.

I want to be a primary school teacher am i entitled to a teaching bursary or are they reserved for PGCE students?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How do you intend to become a primary school teacher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    How do you intend to become a primary school teacher?
    University course at UWE im hoping but i live independently so i need to know i can afford to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    University course at UWE im hoping but i live independently so i need to know i can afford to go

Oh, so you want to do a normal three year course as a opposed to a PGCE (assuming you don't have a degree).

As far as i'm aware you can get bursaries for any teaching course but after ringing student finance england (the normal providers for university loans) they stated the normal loans and grants are definitely available to PGCE students, which i wasn't aware of (i thought you may get a little help but not a full loan). Not sure if this is any help but meh.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, so you want to do a normal three year course as a pose to a PGCE (assuming you don't have a degree).

As far as i'm aware you can get bursaries for any teaching course but after ringing student finance england (the normal providers for university loans) they stated the normal loans and grants are definitely available to PGCE students, which i wasn't aware of (i thought you may get a little help but not a full loan). Not sure if this is any help but meh.
    Well id rather be secondary school teacher but im not sure i could cope with a degree and then the PGCE. Primary teaching is a bit more hands on so i think il keep up the interest.

ReputationRep:
    Well id rather be secondary school teacher but im not sure i could cope with a degree and then the PGCE. Primary teaching is a bit more hands on so i think il keep up the interest.

So do you or don't you have a degree? If not then the normal 3 year course is the way to go. But (as you're probably aware it's not a decision to be made lightly) both primary and secondary teaching will be difficult in their own ways.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just say... if you think you'd prefer Secondary School teaching, rather than Primary School teaching, go for the Secondary school even though it's the longer option if you can - The environments are so totally different (at lesat, thinking about my two were!)

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna do the 3 year ITE course at UWE too...in the end I've decided to do an Early Childhood Studies degree there and then do an Early Years PGCE in 3 years time...I still get to do some placement work For the 3 year course I don't think you get a teaching bursary - I'm sure that it's only for PGCE. Check the website http://www.uwe.ac.uk maybe? Or have a look on http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit.aspx

ReputationRep:
    So do you or don't you have a degree? If not then the normal 3 year course is the way to go. But (as you're probably aware it's not a decision to be made lightly) both primary and secondary teaching will be difficult in their own ways.
    No i dont have a degree sorry. Ive worked with kids as an instructor for 2 years so i know they can be a nightmare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucinda_x)
    I was gonna do the 3 year ITE course at UWE too...in the end I've decided to do an Early Childhood Studies degree there and then do an Early Years PGCE in 3 years time...I still get to do some placement work For the 3 year course I don't think you get a teaching bursary - I'm sure that it's only for PGCE. Check the website http://www.uwe.ac.uk maybe? Or have a look on http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit.aspx
    I tried emailing UWE and the address doesnt work for admissions. Losers. Il apply for a prospectus maybe

ReputationRep:
    I tried emailing UWE and the address doesnt work for admissions. Losers. Il apply for a prospectus maybe
    They take ages to reply, but you could try from here: http://www.uwe.ac.uk/contactUs.shtml
    it's always worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    Copied, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Copied, thank you!
    little off topic but I'm sure i saw you in a thread recently saying you went to UWE once but didn't like it? If that was you, how come? (sorry if i'm being nosey :o: )

ReputationRep:
    little off topic but I'm sure i saw you in a thread recently saying you went to UWE once but didn't like it? If that was you, how come? (sorry if i'm being nosey :o: )
    NW i went and did nursing and it all went really wrong. I was a little bitter before as i didnt feel i got any support from that department.

ReputationRep:
    NW i went and did nursing and it all went really wrong. I was a little bitter before as i didnt feel i got any support from that department.
    Ohh i see. i've had loads of trouble deciding what to do so i really hope this course is for me; i've considered doing everything from english language to psychology to mental health nursing to criminology there so i really hope it ends up alright!
    Teaching is on a whole different campus to nursing though ( i think) so maybe it'll be better at Frenchay

ReputationRep:
    Ohh i see. i've had loads of trouble deciding what to do so i really hope this course is for me; i've considered doing everything from english language to psychology to mental health nursing to criminology there so i really hope it ends up alright!
    Teaching is on a whole different campus to nursing though ( i think) so maybe it'll be better at Frenchay
    easier to get to at least

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if i am in the right place but here goes.

I want to be a primary school teacher am i entitled to a teaching bursary or are they reserved for PGCE students?

Thanks
    The training bursaries the TDA hypes up constantly are only for PGCE students. I assume this is because the course is very intensive and wouldn't leave much time for having a job. You would however ofcourse receive the normal loan available to students studying undergrad degrees. I also think that you would be entitled to a Golden Hello after completing one year as an NQT.

Give this a read for accurate info - http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetra...inengland.aspx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.