Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've lost my national insurance card but I have note of the number. Do I need to get a replacement or am I ok with just knowing the number. If I do have to get it replaced is it a long process? Need it for student finance

ReputationRep:
    It's fine just knowing the number If you do apply for a replacement, you're only allowed to ever have one replacement.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I've never been given a National Insurance card, neither was my sister. However she managed to get the information of the card somehow, so has no problem when asked for the number.

Would anyone happen to know off the top of their head what I should do or what you've done if in a similar position? If not, I'll do some searching about in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiver)
    I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I've never been given a National Insurance card, neither was my sister. However she managed to get the information of the card somehow, so has no problem when asked for the number.

Would anyone happen to know off the top of their head what I should do or what you've done if in a similar position? If not, I'll do some searching about in the morning.
    Ring them and ask for it to be sent out. This is of course if your 16 or over.

(Original post by xwoopwoopx)
    I've lost my national insurance card but I have note of the number. Do I need to get a replacement or am I ok with just knowing the number. If I do have to get it replaced is it a long process? Need it for student finance
    Just having the number is enough. Try to remember it off by heart though. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    It's not a huge problem, keep a note of that number.

Also, if/when you have a job, your payslip states it so you can keep them for reference.

ReputationRep:

If you've never had a National Insurance number
    If you've never been given a National Insurance number you should contact your local Jobcentre Plus, Social Security Office or Jobcentre for an interview. They will be able to help you apply. They can also give you a form CA5404. You can then show this form to your employer, as proof that you've applied for a number.

For more information you can phone the National Insurance registration Helpline on 0845 915 7006.

Source: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/star..._nino_12_3.htm

ReputationRep:

go to the jobcentre with a passport. Apparently they can give you it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl001)
    If you've never had a National Insurance number
    If you've never been given a National Insurance number you should contact your local Jobcentre Plus, Social Security Office or Jobcentre for an interview. They will be able to help you apply. They can also give you a form CA5404. You can then show this form to your employer, as proof that you've applied for a number.

For more information you can phone the National Insurance registration Helpline on 0845 915 7006.

Source: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/star..._nino_12_3.htm
    Much appreciated, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    Much appreciated, thank you!
    you're welcome hope you manage to get it sorted

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.