Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my family and i are thinking of going on holiday to Sharm el sheik, Egypt ... has anyone been there and would you recommend it as a good holiday also do you think seven days would be enough time to see places including a day trip to ciaro?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have been to Sharm for 7 days but didn't visit Cairo, which hotel are you looking at? Any questions give me a shout.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have been to Sharm el sheik, if you need any help then just PM me. It was the best, I went for a day trip to Cairo to see the pyramids. I can give you more details and what hotel I went if you want. Just PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Yes I have been to Sharm for 7 days but didn't visit Cairo, which hotel are you looking at? Any questions give me a shout.
    we're thinking about a hotel called novotel...what hotel did you stay at and how much would you give it out of five?

ReputationRep:
    Coming from egypt I've visited Sharm el Sheikh 3 times and stayed in two different resorts there (Na'ama Bay and Om El Seid Hill).

In Na'ama bay there's a great selection of quality hotels including small but very modern and welcoming ones such as Ibrotel Lido Sharm (I'd give that a straight 5/5). It's right on the bay and Na'ama bay being the best stretch of beach in Sharm you're in for a great time.

There is also a great bustling tourist shopping centr-mall-bazaar type thing like a 5 minute walk away from Na'ama bay which is absolutely flocking with tourists so you won't feel like the odd one out.

Om El Seid Hill is a little different. It is situated far from the main resort of Na'ama bay and is in quite a secluded area in terms of shopping/places to go etc. However, most hotels do offer a shuttle service to the beach and Na'ama bay shopping area. Hotels in this area are generally much less pricey.

ReputationRep:
    Cairo is absolutely crazy. But you do get a true feeling of Egypt culture there.
    Naama Bay is good.

ReputationRep:
    btw are there a lot of halal restaurants there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppy_Ki)
    btw are there a lot of halal restaurants there?
    I would assume so.

ReputationRep:
    All chicken, lamb and beef is Halal there, it's just common practice considering 85-90% of the population is Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Sharm el Sheik for the new year, we stayed in an amazingly posh hotel and it was lush Didn't do the whole day trip to Cairo thing as we were told you have to get up really early and get back late, there's loads of travelling and then you only get to go around the pyramids for about 2 hours before going back. We only actually left the hotel complex to see the "proper" area once as it wasn't really a "sightseeing" holiday but I'd think a week would be plenty.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Egypt but didn't stay in Sharm. Sharm is good if you're after beaches and has great snorkelling and scuba diving there!

Have you considered staying in Luxor - which is a good destination if you want to be close to all the sight seeing parts of Egypt. Valley of the Kings / Queens, Tomb of Tutankahmun, Avenue of the Sphinxes etc.. as well as being able to do a Nile Cruise - going to the Aswan Dam etc. And a flight to Cairo is cheaper because it's closer :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not a good idea to go to Cairo from Sharm - its much too far for a day trip. At a guess, 5/6 hours each way, unless you go by plane. Instead, go to Luxor - its much closer than Cairo. Luxor actually has just as much, if not more, to see than Cairo: the valley of kings (where most of the pharohs were buried, including Tutenkhamun), the temple of Hatsheput, and the open air temple at Karnak: three of the most famous places to see in Egypt.

ReputationRep:
    Fly to Cairo, don't take the bus. Judging by where your thinking of staying, your willing to pay quite a bit. The plane is not really that expensive, and definitely preferable to the bus if you can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Sharm El Sheik. Stayed in the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Was lovely.

Amazing Snorkeling off the Beach :yes: :yes: We all hired snorkeling equipment for the week

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.