Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does eating breakfast really speed up your metabolism? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know it's good to have breakfast for various reasons, but does it actually speed up your metabolism and make you burn more calories throughout the day? Say you have a 300 calorie breakfast, does your metabolism speed up enough to burn off all 300 calories? It just seems unlikely, but I could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Forget metabolism and calories. It makes sense to eat breakfast because your body has been denied food and drink for ~8 hours. If you then go on till lunch, we're talking starvation for nearly 12+ hours. This is daft.

ReputationRep:
    just make sure you eat a healthy breakfast like fruit and yoghurt etc no fry ups to help metabolism!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19music4)
    just make sure you eat a healthy breakfast like fruit and yoghurt etc no fry ups to help metabolism!
    No, breakfast will have a minimal impact on your metabolism. You will feel hungry though, so not eating breakfast may make you more likely to overeat later.

ReputationRep:
    i can't eat breakfast cant handle food til at least noon, usually later however id like this to change because as others have said there are obviously many benefits...but what if ye just ain't hungry?

ReputationRep:
    im not dietician - but as someone has allready said it does make sense to eat a good breakfast - you havent eaten in quite a few hours and without food you are going to feel pretty ****** for the rest of the morning

ReputationRep:
    I can't function without breakfast in some form :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roryq)
    i can't eat breakfast cant handle food til at least noon, usually later however id like this to change because as others have said there are obviously many benefits...but what if ye just ain't hungry?
    I used to be like that until I started forcing myself to eat it. After a while I got used to it and started not snacking as much throughout the day. I actually love my wee bowl of weetabix and chopped fruit in the morning now!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by roryq)
    You're not hungry out of habit. Your stomach doesn't associate waking up with wanting food, because you never give it any. If you start eating in the mornings, no matter how little, you'll get hungry in the mornings.

ReputationRep:
    ah right, thanks must start getting into a wee eating breakfast routine then

ReputationRep:
    I get headaches and feel sick if i dont have breakfast when i get up. It was said on the news and things that eating a fry up or something similar speeds up your metabolism too

ReputationRep:
    Just reading this post is getting me really excited about breakfast. And I don't normally eat it even.

Even saying the word in my head ("break-fast") is making me well haps.

ReputationRep:
    damn this thread making me hungry!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    No, breakfast will have a minimal impact on your metabolism. You will feel hungry though, so not eating breakfast may make you more likely to overeat later.
    So it doesn't have much effect on your metabolism? That's what I thought. If I don't eat breakfast I don't feel hungry until lunchtime. It definately does not make me eat more than usual. So for someone like me, skipping breakfast wont make me put on weight as the Special K advert says?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennifer_l85)
    So it doesn't have much effect on your metabolism? That's what I thought. If I don't eat breakfast I don't feel hungry until lunchtime. It definitely does not make me eat more than usual. So for someone like me, skipping breakfast wont make me put on weight as the Special K advert says?
    Yeah in the grand scheme of things it won't make a difference, as long as you don't eat more calories per day because you don't have breakfast. All the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" stuff is bs unless you're trying to gain muscle and keep your body in an anabolic state at all times in which case you want to eat at regular intervals.. To lose weight you want to be catabolic anyway.

It's like people say 5/6 meals a day, blabla. I lose weight fine on 3 meals a day, the only reason for 5/6 is either to keep you from going catabolic when gaining or to make you eat less over the duration of a day. The longer you wait to eat, the more prone you are to overeating in the next meal, so if you can control your hunger enough it's largely irrelevant.

Edit: (I eat breakfast btw, but I get up after midday or later these lazy days so it's technically lunch.. ) I generally eat 2ish, 7ish, 12ish.. Keeps hunger at bay and I've lost 25lbs in the last 3 or so months. I'm pretty anal and don't eat any carbs in my midnight meal either..

ReputationRep:

Special K adverts are NEVER wrong!!! Haven't you learnt this yet?!?!

Dammit, will you just eat the ******* breakfast or don't eat the ******* breakfast. You decide what you want to do and stop trying to justify stupid silly-ass ******** like not-eating-breakfast.

It is always better to eat breakfast and if you haven't figured this out yet... then I worry for you a little. There is some evidence which suggests that fasting like that for that long not only causes you to be hungry at the wrong times, but that once you do finally eat, your body will try and store as much of that food as possible; probably as fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

Dammit, will you just eat the ******* breakfast or don't eat the ******* breakfast. You decide what you want to do and stop trying to justify stupid silly-ass ******** like not-eating-breakfast.

It is always better to eat breakfast and if you haven't figured this out yet... then I worry for you a little. There is some evidence which suggests that fasting like that for that long not only causes you to be hungry at the wrong times, but that once you do finally eat, your body will try and store as much of that food as possible; probably as fat.
    I dont understand, so your saying... its bad to eat breakfast?

:eek:

I'm just pullling your leg..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

So if i eat 500000000 raw eggz ill get hooooge gunz?

ReputationRep:
    what if you get up at like 12, should you try squeeze in all the meals or just start at lunch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    So if i eat 500000000 raw eggz ill get hooooge gunz?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.