Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    [OOC]Not sure about other countries, but in Mauritius the education system whether it be for locals or foreign nationals is somewhat lacking.

Especially for people with learning difficulties, whether it be Dyslexia, Dyspraxia or anything else.

Thoughts? [/OOC]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Not sure about other countries, but in Mauritius the education system whether it be for locals or foreign nationals is somewhat lacking.

Especially for people with learning difficulties, whether it be Dyslexia, Dyspraxia or anything else.

Thoughts?
    The Federal Republic of Austria wholehartedly agrees that the strongest education systems are needed for all nations, but especially for those who require extra help, it is our opinion that all over the world a better understanding of learning difficulties would help people to succeed where in the current climate they may struggle without this help. Even the most developed countries like ourselves, USA and UK still are mis-diagnosing and not doing enough to help those who need it. Austria is strongly pro-educational development and would be interested in any education related issues.

[OOC] I find this topic particularly interesting and personal myself as I suffer from Dyspraxia, luckly enough one of my early primary school teachers was suspicious and after I was diagnosed, I underwent an occupational therapy course, now I'm just about over it (except being diabolical at football and coordination sports :p:) But i know other people who I feel have been wrongly judged as "less bright" or "clumsy" instead of Dyslexia or Dyspraxia

ReputationRep:
    I thought you weren't supposed to represent your country in discussions like these. Delete this post if I'm mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    Could go either way dependant on the tone of the OP - I feel that we could treat this in-character and someone could perhaps propose a resolution encouraging nations to develop their education systems to help those with learning difficulties or for help UNOs in this aim.

Unless the representative for Mauritius disagrees?

The US is intensely proud of our education system and its performance in meeting our key targets for literacy, numeracy and reasoning skills. What would a UN resolution serve to accomplish in this regard?

ReputationRep:
    [OOC]I'd normally encourage more fund for a subprogram of UNESCO but we don't have a rep for that UNO at the moment. So perhaps set up a new program?[/OOC]

ReputationRep:
    Panamá has ambitious educational reform targets which we hope to meet by 2014 when the Canal expansion is expected to be completed and revenue from the Canal can be directed towards education.

SOme of the goals for the educational reform are planned to ensure students are tested at various stages in the educational careers in reading, science and mathematics. We hope to follow a similar method to the EQAO method of testing in Canada, which has students tested in a standardized test in those key areas in the third grade, the sixth grade and the ninth/tenth grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrgd291190)
    Could go either way dependant on the tone of the OP - I feel that we could treat this in-character and someone could perhaps propose a resolution encouraging nations to develop their education systems to help those with learning difficulties or for help UNOs in this aim.

Unless the representative for Mauritius disagrees?
    I don't disagree.
    Actually it was meant to be merely a general question across the board.

I lived in Mauritius for a while and for a while I attended school there. Two schools in fact, and I saw first hand what their education was like. It was more of a comment and asking other people's opinions, however I could go in character if you like and I could try to work on a resolution with someone.

ReputationRep:
    Chile is developing all the time and so is its education system, we as a country strongly believe the children are the future of this nation and they need to be given the best start in life, due to limited funding in education we rely heavily on voluntery projects from developed countries such as the USA abd the UK. We strongly urge other sturggling countries to employ this projects as well as lookming at ways to improve learning and teaching within your country. Education should be a basic human right.

ReputationRep:
    I don't disagree.
    Actually it was meant to be merely a general question across the board.

I lived in Mauritius for a while and for a while I attended school there. Two schools in fact, and I saw first hand what their education was like. It was more of a comment and asking other people's opinions, however I could go in character if you like and I could try to work on a resolution with someone.
    In that case you needed to post [OOC] [/OOC] around your post to make it clear to the General Assembly that the discussion is not bound by protocol. I think the SG should edit the thread title to make this clear.

ReputationRep:
    [ooc]:beard:[/ooc]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    In that case you needed to post [OOC] [/OOC] around your post to make it clear to the General Assembly that the discussion is not bound by protocol. I think the SG should edit the thread title to make this clear.
    I edited it.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you want it to be OOC, then it should be posted in the Generally Dissatisfied or even Off-Topic threads.

I can move the posts if you want but if you want to draft a resolution, I'd be very happy

ReputationRep:
    Brazil is very keen to develop its education system. There's great difference in different regions and many other defiencies in our system. To improve, we are keen to further cooperation with educational communities in developed countries.

ReputationRep:
    Education is one of the main aims of the World Bank. We see it as one of the main tools to reduce poverty and inequality. It can also be used for sustained economic development. Thus, we are commited to help countries develop "educatoin for all" programs.

[ooc] can UNO start resolutions? [/ooc]

ReputationRep:
    [OOC]Any UNO can write a resolution But you have to have a country to co-sponsor. In your case, Brazil could technically do it, but I'd like to see some of our reps collaborating, perhaps you and T/C could write it and sponsor it together? Or you write and ask him to sponsor?[/OOC]

ReputationRep:
    [OOC]Any UNO can write a resolution But you have to have a country to co-sponsor. In your case, Brazil could technically do it, but I'd like to see some of our reps collaborating, perhaps you and T/C could write it and sponsor it together? Or you write and ask him to sponsor?[/OOC]
    [ooc] Sounds good [/ooc]

ReputationRep:
    [ooc] Sounds good [/ooc]
    [OOC]Good to hear Perhaps you and gyyy would like to PM about it and perhaps PM me with a draft in a little while?[/OOC]

ReputationRep:
    [OOC]Good to hear Perhaps you and gyyy would like to PM about it and perhaps PM me with a draft in a little while?[/OOC]
    [OOC]I'll write it up asap. should be done by tonight [/OOC]

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.