Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Comments on my singing - YOUTUBE Video link included Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay I posted a video of my singing before and received some very mixed comments. I took some of the advice on board and tried recording something else. I'm under no illusions and I realise that I'm nothing special or amazing, but I am looking to improve my singing voice and would appreciate any helpful and constructive criticism.

It's fine if you hate it and think I can't sing at all, and feel free to tell me that, but it would be much appreciated if you could also tell me where you think I could improve.

Thanks again guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0gYFfsfsyA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blurryeyedwithtears)
    Okay I posted a video of my singing before and received some very mixed comments. I took some of the advice on board and tried recording something else. I'm under no illusions and I realise that I'm nothing special or amazing, but I am looking to improve my singing voice and would appreciate any helpful and constructive criticism.

It's fine if you hate it and think I can't sing at all, and feel free to tell me that, but it would be much appreciated if you could also tell me where you think I could improve.
    You can sing. You just mainly need to practise.

ReputationRep:
    it's fairly good considering your mic may not be all that good. But i'm no simon cowell so ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomTeeTom)
    it's fairly good considering your mic may not be all that good. But i'm no simon cowell so ...

Um yeah my recording 'equipment' is basically crap. Would a better mic make a lot of difference?

ReputationRep:
    Um yeah my recording 'equipment' is basically crap. Would a better mic make a lot of difference?
    :yes:

your voice with the mic sounded squeaky, using a better mic would make your voice sound natural, overall you have a nice voice

ReputationRep:
    seriously, I think your gooood!

also i think you sound a bit young, so i reckon with age your voice will get even better

ReputationRep:
    Yeh you can sing it sounds good, your singing and playing guitar too? thats difficult

ReputationRep:
    I think you can sing and its pretty good, but you sound a little like youre pushing yourself more than your voice is capable of at certain points.

I dont mean that in a critical way, but it sounds much better when you are singing naturally. When you try and push it at the higher stuff and with the changing pitch etc, not as good.

Still wish I could sing like that though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obessedwithu&rockmusic)
    :yes:

your voice with the mic sounded squeaky, using a better mic would make your voice sound natural, overall you have a nice voice

Do you know which kinda one would be gooood? x

ReputationRep:
    :yes: overall you have a good voice, just keep practicing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    I think you can sing and its pretty good, but you sound a little like youre pushing yourself more than your voice is capable of at certain points.

I dont mean that in a critical way, but it sounds much better when you are singing naturally. When you try and push it at the higher stuff and with the changing pitch etc, not as good.

Still wish I could sing like that though

That's definitely true, I think I need to work on not pushing my voice really. I'm gonna try and record something else soon so I'll that your advice on board. Thanks so much xx

ReputationRep:

Thanks again guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0gYFfsfsyA
    Okay, that's actually quite impressive. I don't sing (except in the shower :p:), so I don't really know how to tell you how to improve, but if you could try and sing more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqkG1zVqvYQ

I don't know if that's helpful advice at all, but give it a go!
    And good luck

ReputationRep:
    You have the potential for a good singing voice I think - at the moment it's sounding a bit strained and stylistically it's not clear what you're really doing.
    I don't know if this'll make sense (I've had about 2 hours sleep and am judging based on that :p:) but it sounds like you're trying to sing Avril Lavigne in a classical way, which makes it quite odd to listen to.
    Your tonality is quite good and you have the potential for a strong voice - just work out your style a bit more and make things flow a bit more easily, if possible.

ReputationRep:
    Not bad, not bad at all you know. You got a cute voice.

Damn, now that song stays in my head and I can't get rid of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malleablegrace)
    You have the potential for a good singing voice I think - at the moment it's sounding a bit strained and stylistically it's not clear what you're really doing.
    I don't know if this'll make sense (I've had about 2 hours sleep and am judging based on that :p:) but it sounds like you're trying to sing Avril Lavigne in a classical way, which makes it quite odd to listen to.
    Your tonality is quite good and you have the potential for a strong voice - just work out your style a bit more and make things flow a bit more easily, if possible.

Yeahh that makes perfect sense! I think my voice just kinda naturally comes out like that (I used to sing in a choir so maybe my voice is just used to that kinda style)... I'm not really sure how I'd go about changing it though as it just kinda goes like that! But I will definitely work on it. I don't wanna sing classical stuff so I really need to work on it.

Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Do you know which kinda one would be gooood? x
    This DUDE said:

Editor-In-Chief Paul White replies: If you need a smooth-sounding vocal mic, the Rode NT2A is a very good choice within its price range, but don't get rid of all your other mics, as different voices benefit from different mic characteristics. I've found that the SE Electronics mics have a pretty 'in the middle' kind of sound, so they should suit a wide range of singers. Also take a close look at your recording environment itself, to see whether that is colouring the sound excessively. Hanging duvets behind the singer, to reduce the amount of reflected room sound reaching the vocal mic, is always a handy quick fix if you don't have a proper vocal room or booth set up.

ReputationRep:
    You're singing in a very 'bright' way - kinda hard to explain but you're probably raising your cheeks and pushing your chin out a bit far. You're also obviously trying to sing a little out of your range and that tends to be when you go sharp.

Overall it's really not bad

ReputationRep:
    it actually sounds good...i am disappointed, i clicked the link becuase i thought it would be terrible and funny but it wasn't

ReputationRep:
    sweet voice , wrong song . some of the higher notes in the chorus felt like you were stretching , have a play around , find a song that feels comfortable . but all in all nice voice .

ReputationRep:
    Good lord, I almost puked after the first 5 seconds. Disgusting, totally disgusting, rank ****.

Don't you dare ever link us to that 'song' again. Your voice is just terrible. Terrible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.