Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm so confused. When I was little I wanted to be a paleontologist, doctor, nurse, lawyer, teacher and probably more. But now that it really matters, I don't know what I should study at university. I just know I want to go and get a degree but I don't know what to do.
    I'm currently in sixth form and studying Spanish, sociology and literature in English. My favorite subject as always English. Literature is always equally challenging. I don't know what I want to do in a career so how can I choose the right major?? Please help!

It's not a question anyone else can answer. Perhaps defer going to uni until you have a plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayz92)
    I'm so confused. When I was little I wanted to be a paleontologist, doctor, nurse, lawyer, teacher and probably more. But now that it really matters, I don't know what I should study at university. I just know I want to go and get a degree but I don't know what to do.
    I'm currently in sixth form and studying Spanish, sociology and literature in English. My favorite subject as always English. Literature is always equally challenging. I don't know what I want to do in a career so how can I choose the right major?? Please help!
    Hey maybe do a jointd degree in english lit and something else?
    Or the obvious English Literature

ReputationRep:
    If you dont know what you want to do try and consider the things you like and what you think you will be good at.

If you choose a degree based on what you enjoy you will find it alot easier to get through 3 years of an undergrad and you'll get alot more satisfaction from it.

That way, even if you choose to go into a career unrealted to your degree you will hopefully by that point have a good degree classification and it'll be much easier for you to pursue other interests.

ReputationRep:
    I was like you - had a million and one career ideas, couldn't decide on anything...

In the end I've settled on Anthropology and Development Studies. Would you consider something like Anthropology and Linguistics? Anth is honestly a genuinely interesting subject and although great on it's own, I think if you combine it with something that will have a link to any future career aspirations it'd be perfect.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    With A-Levels in English Lit, Spanish, and Sociology, your options are pretty varied. You could try for a degree in any one of your A-Levels, or a joint honours course, or you could go for law, teaching, or something totally unrelated like Geography or Business or Politics or European Studies or something else.

EDIT: Personally, I'd opt for European Studies. It seems really cool.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought English Lit was the obvious answer. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well English will easily get you into teaching, if you fancy that. Personally I liked your ideas from when you were a kid, but you don't have the right A-Levels for most of those now. I had very similar aspirations actually: doctor, vet, lawyer, archaeologist - but the first 3 my parents couldn't afford to put me through, so I'm doing Archaeology!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.