Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Fusion)
    You liar. I guess you're too talentless to ever be in that position.
    Wealth hardly correlates to 'talent' or 'hard work', the overused buzzwords of the right. Perhaps if you opened your eyes and saw that your view on the world would change a little.

ReputationRep:
    Distrust of authority.

(Original post by rockrunride)
    Lol at your location.
    I thought you left-wing types were against needless prejudice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    i'm a lefty because i love women's tennis so much. that is why this argument about the wimbledon prize fund is completley relevant
    The Wimbledon Prize Fund was used to highlight a cause the left got involved in, and under the disguise of "fairness" and "equality", have made the prize fund less equal and fair in my opinion. The same applies to positive discrimination. From a position where there is no guarentee that discrimination takes place (there is no reason why the population makeup should reflect the BBC, England football team, UK Basketball team),we move to a position where discrimination is much more likely to take place, because of quotas.

ReputationRep:
    The lefty is a hypocrite and a liar. There is no debating that.
    What? You haven't even given any specific issues on which a 'lefty' (a term which you haven't even defined - what, political left, economic left, what?) is an alleged hypocrite and liar. And you use the example of one person to encompass the ENTIRE (as yet, undefined) left!

Where do you get off making such baseless and ill thought out statements? You come off as an ignorant youth, which is probably bang on the mark. Stop this nonsense, if you wish to actually have a debate, give me some details. At the very least, bring up a selection of topics.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. Thanks to your types, female tennis players are paid the same as males, males who play up to two sets more. Hardly a move towards "fairness" and "equality". How you love those buzzwords!
    Yeah because the actual match it the only significant amount of time people give to being a professional tennis player :rolleyes:

Do you think people who play really well and manage to finish matches quicker should be paid less?

In answer to the original question, I can't speak for everyone but in my case it is a strong belief in fairness, and that everyone deserves a reasonable standard of living.

ReputationRep:
    The left have a frightening desire for terrifying levels or the increase in the powers of the state.

ReputationRep:
    Their insecurity

ReputationRep:
    This is an interesting question and one I like to ponder.

Let's start with people like Gordon Brown and Harriet Harman. Basically middle class people (although Brown came from a working class area) who are extremely boring and I would imagine unpopular at school (I forget who it was, but a conservative political theorist once said that all politicians were unpopular at school). Anyway with a thirst for power and realising that the middle classes would never take them seriously they appoint themselves as champions of the poor and vulnerable in order to seek political office. If you offer pensioners free tv licences and winter fuel payments or claim to stand up for minorities/politically correct groups you don't need charisma in order to be popular. It's a chance for people like Brown and Harman to get some appreciation.

Then there are people like the Milibands. They come from a noted lefty/intellectual family and carry that message forward. They probably have an intrinsic interest in left-wing politics for its own sake.

Finally you have people like Alan Johnson and John Reid. They come from working class backgrounds and recognise the difficulty in rising socially and the nessessity of the state in helping people.

There are probably other types, but they are the ones that spring to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    This is an interesting question and one I like to ponder.

Let's start with people like Gordon Brown and Harriet Harman.

Then there are people like the Milibands.
    Finally you have people like Alan Johnson and John Reid.
    There are probably other types, but they are the ones that spring to mind.
    there are of course left wing people outside of politics, and some very rich. Alan Sugar, one example. Even Warren Buffett displayed a leftish tendency on tax (though I won't perhaps call him left wing - I don't know his full politics)

ReputationRep:
    Being left-handed? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    I thought you left-wing types were against needless prejudice?
    Yes we are, but we're not against jokes.

The periodic failure of political righties?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    We want to make the world a better place.
    True story.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't You be the first to complain if your colleague was paid more for working less hours? Because I would! That's the difference between the lefty and others. The lefty is a hypocrite and a liar. There is no debating that.
    i understand your point, but making it with millionaire tennis players as examples sort of ruins it.
    what other jobs are there where those 'pesky lefties' have created an 'unfair' system of pay?

ReputationRep:
    I would have more faith in Cameron if he said: "I'm sending my kids to Eton because I can afford to and our local comprehensive school is ****". But the lefty preaches against private education, whilst sending their kids private. It's this hypocrisy that is disgusting. It shows their views are nonsense, and they don't bear the downside of, say, discouraging grammar schools.

ReputationRep:
    "For the left the world around us is the construction of a society and the effects of enviroment - something that can be changed; the right wants to uphold the status quo, with genetic theories helping keep this illusion intact."

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't You be the first to complain if your colleague was paid more for working less hours? Because I would! That's the difference between the lefty and others. The lefty is a hypocrite and a liar. There is no debating that.
    so taking that view, Andy Roddick worked more hours then Roger Federer, but Federer got paid more

so social hierarchy on the right VS egalitarianism on the left

ReputationRep:
    Brain damage.

ReputationRep:
    They're just headaches, getting in the way of reason and common sense. They're also hypocrites who wouldn't give you the steam off their piss. Talentless fools. But what drives them? Apart from public sector pensions and vendettas!
    I cannot speak for any political left members. My observations lead me to believe that left of centre politics all contain a running theme; elements of jealously toward those with a greater fortune (for material success is greatly important) and an insistent, core belief that humans are all altruistic.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.