Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Janos_D)
    What do you mean by meritocracy? Best person for the best job? Or if you mean children with most potential get jobs they "deserve" later on, then yes, meritocray will be skewed by private schools. But I just don't think that that is a reason for the government to close down schools preventing parents from sending their children to schools outside the state controlled system.

You will also deny the country, and the world, the benefits of a well educated class of people. Yet again the (far)-left want to bring everyone down with them. It is quite undeniable that private schools provide world class education - indeed, that's your problem with it!
    I mean that people can achieve what they have the potential to, something that no one, no matter how talented, will do if sent to certain schools. We must loose so much talent, and so many potential great artists and scientists and politicians, through this route.

That is not to say a tiered education system could not exist fairly - just it would be based on merit rather than mummy and daddy. Great schools could still churn out great people.

However, i see that we fundamentally disagree. You believe there should be a superior 'educated class' of people. You believe some should have better lives simply due to luck of birth, that people are inferior just because you label them so. I don't think that is right, but if you do, there is little point in arguing and we'll have to agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of the problem with private education (and private healthcare) is that it is the taxpayer who pays for the teachers to be trained, then loses the benefit of it when the best teachers jump ship to the private sector. Private schools should have to reimburse the state for the cost of training to hire teachers I think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.