Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently received an offer to study at York and I was wondering what the colleges were like. Do they play a major role in your social life? Also, I visited the campus a bit over the summer....the ducks were cute but I don't think I could stand all the duck poop....how do York students cope with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    I recently received an offer to study at York and I was wondering what the colleges were like. Do they play a major role in your social life?
    Most colleges have their own bar, but you can go to any of them. For the first year, the college is mostly just where you stay. Most colleges are around the lake, Goodricke and Vanburgh are the most central.

Wentworth is a graduate college. Alcuin is across the road, a few minutes walk away, and Halifax is off campus, 10/15 mins away. The accomodation in the older colleges isn't as good - in Goodricke especially, I think.
    'Pantry kitchen' means a rubbish grill/oven with 2 hobs glued to the top of it, and a v. small fridge/freezer. I'm in Goodricke. I've got one of those...

I think all rooms have washbasins though, and the showers aren't bad. PM me if you've got any specific questions.

the ducks were cute but I don't think I could stand all the duck poop....how do York students cope with it?
    Step over it.

And believe me, the ducks are NOT cute - you wouldn't believe the noise they can make some mornings... :mad:

I recently received an offer to study at York and I was wondering what the colleges were like. Do they play a major role in your social life? Also, I visited the campus a bit over the summer....the ducks were cute but I don't think I could stand all the duck poop....how do York students cope with it?
    I studied at York and had an absolutely wicked time. The city might not be as lively as others, like Leeds, but the nice thing about York is that as its a campus based uni you get to know so many people. I lived in Langwith College A block for my first year which was good - had a decent sized room. I would recommend applying for Halifax/Langwith or James College if you can afford it. Goodricke College is awful and from what I saw of Vanburgh, that wasn't that great either. Each college has a bar and although some of them are a bit airport loungey, they're alright. The town has more pubs than days of the year, and a few clubs which are alright. If you're in to clubbing, go to Leeds - is only 20 mins on the train. As far as the duck poop goes, yeah you have to watch your step sometimes but I don't think its that bad! After a while most people get quite fond of the ducks - especially in the Spring when you have little ducklings waddling all over the place. Just don't throw bread out of your window or they'll be there eveyday!

My advice is to consider that wherever you go, you're going to have to live there for the next three years. If you like living in a beautiful city with good pubs, good links to nearby cities, and studying at a friendly supportive uni, then York is a good bet. However if you want to be clubbing every night, then go somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! This information is so so SO useful!!! Thanx guys!!! I'm not really a hardcore clubbing type so York sounds great. I want to live near a city with history - York has exactly that. Also, I'm really into musical theatre and drama. Could anyone tell me what that's like @ York?

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer from York form the MEng (sandwich) Computer Science course, and I'm almost certainly going to put it down as my firm choice (if I get an offer from cambridge then I'm going to have some hard decissions to make :eek: )

But anyway I just wanted to ask a little about the colleges. Whats the best college room rise? I'd like a room with ensuite facillities so what colleges provide that?
    One other question was about the network connection to campus rooms. We got a very confusing explination - seems some rooms have it and some don't? Surposed to be a fairly new system?
    And finally are any of you on the Comp Sci course at York? If so fancy telling me any handy hints, or giving me the low down?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/accom/ugrad/

You're right about the network connections - its almost a pilot scheme at the moment. Its been extended further, and hopefully they'll continue that, but I don't know which colleges have it. Most have a phone line, so 56K net access is available - although you might have to use a particular ISP, I'm not sure. I'm in Goodricke, so I don't have either. grrr...

Alcuin and James, and I assume Halifax, have ensuite rooms. Goodricke doesn't, and I don't think Vanbrugh does either, but I don't know about the rest. Its worth contacting the Accomodation office and getting a prospectus, too.

I've got to go now, but I'll try to get back to you on the CS - I've only just started, though!

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer from York form the MEng (sandwich) Computer Science course, and I'm almost certainly going to put it down as my firm choice (if I get an offer from cambridge then I'm going to have some hard decissions to make )
    I would always choose Cambridge over York.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.