Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Proof of Age Problem in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am coming to the UK on an organised trip. When we get over there our passports will be collected and kept for safekeeping. At nights we will be allowed to go out and do what we want. I have no drivers license or any government issued ID besides my passport though and was wondering about having trouble going to bars, pubs, clubs etc. Would a photocopy of my passport (canadian) and/or an ISIC (international student identity card) work at all? I also have this 'ID' (its not real) that I use when I go out here in Canada (age is 19 in some places here). Because I live here I know where to use it and where won't take it, but it does look kinda sketchy. Would you recommend I use that instead? I don't want to get busted either, that would suck. Im going to London, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    you're only allowed to use driving license, european driving license or passport over here. not a photocopy. u better say that you dont want your passport bein taken off you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about everything, but I very much doubt that a photocopy will get you anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    100% in London photocopies will get you nowhere.

(Original post by Aye-Landor)
    I am coming to the UK on an organised trip. When we get over there our passports will be collected and kept for safekeeping. At nights we will be allowed to go out and do what we want. I have no drivers license or any government issued ID besides my passport though and was wondering about having trouble going to bars, pubs, clubs etc. Would a photocopy of my passport (canadian) and/or an ISIC (international student identity card) work at all? I also have this 'ID' (its not real) that I use when I go out here in Canada (age is 19 in some places here). Because I live here I know where to use it and where won't take it, but it does look kinda sketchy. Would you recommend I use that instead? I don't want to get busted either, that would suck. Im going to London, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow.
    Could you not get a provisional drivers liscence?

In my experience (which with drinking is larger than it should be) the further north you go the less likely you are to get IDed. I was at about 20% rate of getting ID'd at 18 and now close to 21 its virtually never.

Down at uni in Oxford however...

ReputationRep:
    You might have some luck with the photocopy of your passport but an ISIC card no way, forget it. This is for clubs. Pubs, you will probably be able to get away with sitting in them and getting someone who does have ID to get your drinks for you.

To be fair I've only ever gone clubbing/pubbing in the London area but Britain as a country is getting stricter and stricter about ID'ing young people whenever they come within sight of a bottle of alcohol! Same with cigarettes. Plus, a lot of more upmarket places have now changed their age requirements to over 21s to avoid having to put up with youngsters puking all over their sofas or starting fights when they've had one too many cheap shots.

My advice to you would be to a) try and keep your passport or obtain some other form of accepted ID, i.e. a driving licence (I know you said that you don't have one but it'll make your life a lot easier if you're willing to shell out the cash for it) and b) if you are going to try and get drink/cigarettes without any legitimate ID try and buy it from a little off licence/corner shop place rather than a big supermarket where they will be borderline fanatic about ID'ing people. Essentially the seedier the place looks the more likely you are to be served.

ReputationRep:
    Anywhere you go in Edinburgh will ID you. They've got one of those schemes that if you have fake ID or whatever you will get banned from every pub/club in that scheme until 6 months after you're 18.

(Original post by TheJeebs)
    Anywhere you go in Edinburgh will ID you. They've got one of those schemes that if you have fake ID or whatever you will get banned from every pub/club in that scheme until 6 months after you're 18.
    Hmmm. I have to admit ive only been out in Edinburgh 3 or 4 times and the last was over a year ago, but i dont think ive been ID'd more than once or twice in 10+ times.

ReputationRep:
    Argh. Ok, I dont think there is much of a change of getting the passport released because they dont want to be responsible for me if I loose it and then can't travel back. If I try to get a license issued (Here you can get a 'G1', which is like a learners permit, except it looks just like a regular license with a 'G-1' instead of 'G' on it) they will take it, right? They aren't going to be suspicious? I mean, I have a Canadian accent and everything. But I know here in Canada some people use fake British/Austrialian licenses to do things, I hope that people over there do not try to fake Canadian stuff often.

Edit: It turns out that we will be spending the majority of the time in Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine with a Canadian learners permit.

ReputationRep:
    A canadian permit will be just fine, but a photocopy of your passport will not get you anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Working in a supermarket, you have lots of policies whether they are challenge21 or 25. It would be best to sort some alternative ID as they'll only accept passports and driving licences, certainly no photocopies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dubstepper)
    you're only allowed to use driving license, european driving license
    The latter is indeed true - but when I was in Sainsbury's trying to buy a bottle of cider to go with my lunch shopping they decided that a 'foreign' (EU) license wasn't good enough, I kindly asked her to double check - and to my surprise the manager said the same thing! It ended with me going away, being very pissed off and leaving £20 worth of food at the till...

Now, that's irrelevant for the thread. A photocopy is certainly not valid, but some place may accept it just because it convinces them they're not serving a minor. So I don't see the harm of having one in the pocket...

That said, unless you're going into stricter clubs you're not that likely to be IDed. I think I've been IDed once in a pub...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Hmmm. I have to admit ive only been out in Edinburgh 3 or 4 times and the last was over a year ago, but i dont think ive been ID'd more than once or twice in 10+ times.
    I don't know where you've been going, but I've lived here now for 3 years and getting IDed is just part of life. I'm 21 and don't look particularly young, but here I get asked for ID pretty much every time I buy alcohol whereas at home I never do at all. They've all got a challenge 25 policy now, meaning anyone who looks remotely young will get asked.

OP: Get the Canadian driving lisence, the doormen should be pretty used to foreign IDs as Edinburgh is a very touristy place and there are also a lot of international students so you should be fine. One of my friends has a Bolivian driving lisence and uses that without a problem and it's all in Spanish!

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure European Driving licenses will be fine.
    Most stores don't accept simple ID cards though, even though apparantly that's all they need to get into the country..

ReputationRep:
    I've only been IDed once in London (in pubs).... I don't look old either for my age. I've been IDed a lot in supermarkets and clubs though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShortyGetLow)
    Most stores don't accept simple ID cards though, even though apparantly that's all they need to get into the country..
    This is a difficult one. I can honestly understand the frustration of people coming from abroad and finding they can't buy age-restricted products by showing anything other than their passport, but on the other hand, it's very hard for retailers to deal with foreign ID cards. The simple reason for this is nobody is going to know what any of the great mass of them are supposed to look like.

I would strongly recommend trying to keep hold of your passport as there are increasingly strict guidelines in a lot of places here about exactly what kinds of ID can be accepted. This very often falls under the passport/UK driving license/UK proof of age card scheme trio.

ReputationRep:
    Just a warning: in the past my friends have been asked to back up their ID with a debit card or something. Try your learner's permit+have a student card or debit card or something else so you can back it up My friend once borrowed someone's ID to get into a club and they asked for back up but the only thing she had of her friend's was an Ann Summers card lol We all got in fine though :P This is in Bristol btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nota bene)
    The latter is indeed true - but when I was in Sainsbury's trying to buy a bottle of cider to go with my lunch shopping they decided that a 'foreign' (EU) license wasn't good enough, I kindly asked her to double check - and to my surprise the manager said the same thing! It ended with me going away, being very pissed off and leaving £20 worth of food at the till...
    It is a shame when that happens, I blame scaremongering from employers. Whenever I've started a new job the first thing I've always been told (before health and safety stuff like fire exits!) is how if I sell age restricted products to underage people I WILL BE FINED MILLIONS OF POUNDS AND THROWN IN PRISON FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!! YOU WILL BE ON YOUR OWN, WE WILL NOT HELP YOU!! DOOM AWAITS THOSE WHO DO NOT CHECK IDS FANATICALLY etc. etc. It'll come to the point eventually when people have to carry their passports around in order to buy a bottle of wine or a pair of scissors :rolleyes: because cashiers will be so terrified to accept something that isn't familiar to them but is still perfectly valid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.