Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

    (Original post by Wildebeest)
    This is a difficult one. I can honestly understand the frustration of people coming from abroad and finding they can't buy age-restricted products by showing anything other than their passport, but on the other hand, it's very hard for retailers to deal with foreign ID cards. The simple reason for this is nobody is going to know what any of the great mass of them are supposed to look like.
    I'm sure that for the Schengen area (where UK isn't included, but most of Europe) any national ID card, driving license, or passport is acceptable as ID. The same rules I'm fairly sure are valid for EU. This means that any European driving license or national ID card is supposed to be valid. As far as I know foreign (non-EU) driving licenses and national ID cards are not formally valid as ID in UK; that said it will normally be enough to be served in a bar or similar.

    I blame underage drinkers for the effect all this has on those legal to drink. I'm not saying I didn't drink underage, but definately not as excessively as people today, and we're paying the consequence.
    And it's soso hard to determine someones age for what they look like, I just think everyone should carry ID cards provided from the official whoever who have our records. Would make lives soso much easier.

    I just worked at a music festival recently and I noticed this problem. People under the age of 16 had to be accompanied by an adult in order to get in, so we were constantly asking people for ID. How many people actually have proof of ID other than their passport at 16? Also, not many people would want to carry a passport on a night out. If you lose your passport, it's a lot of hassle to get a replacement.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.