Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    break up with her and give her my number.. :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    If you don't feel like being with her, you've probably never been too compatible. Honestly, you should just tell her that, there's no point in trying to "fix" a broken relationship or lie to yourselves, or even make compromises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    Thanks Lilly, i'm planning to but i'm just not sure how i can do it without screwing everything up. I'm still pondering that at least.
    No matter what you do, shes gonna be pissed, but the longer you drag it out for, the harder it will be. Shes not a child, she can take it, be honest, you owe her that. I really hope it goes ok!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    I'm sorry to say this, feel free to call me an ******** but i'm bored of my girlfriend. we've been going out since February. I've completely lost interest, i don't enjoy the sex anymore and i'm always trying to avoid her,
    i think it's time to find someone new. She's gorgeous, funny, and kind but i'm just dragging it along and i don't want to have to hurt her. Not asking for advice, just wondering what you guys would do, before i make my move.
    You really do have nice cheekbone sructure :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lillylillylilly)
    Oh gosh, I actually cringed at how self-righteous this is!!

Tbh OP, I've done alot of stuff I'm not proud of, like you, but that was in your past, its not for anyone to judge in the present and future. Just talk to her, chances are shes noticed somethings up.
    Thinking a human being deserves some respect is self righteous? No, Hun. Sometimes people need to remember they aren't the only ones who would like honesty.

Putting it off and looking at her in such a way is selfish, something you might not have a problem with, but I do.

To each his own.

ReputationRep:
    I guess i'm going to have to talk to her. I'll keep you guys posted on the fallout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icn06)
    Thinking a human being deserves some respect is self righteous? No, Hun. Sometimes people need to remember they aren't the only ones who would like honesty.

Putting it off and looking at her in such a way is selfish, something you might not have a problem with, but I do.

To each his own.
    Thats the point, hes trying to give her respect, and trying to break up with her the nicest way possible. I don't know if you've ever been in that position, but it's hard. So give the guy a break, he wanted advice, and yes I still do think it was self-righteous.....

ReputationRep:
    If you think she's that amazing, then she probably deserves more than what you can offer her right now. Tell her how you feel and she possibly might agree to a peaceful break-up.

Don't hurt her, because that would be completely low.

ReputationRep:
    why don't you just tell her how you feel?

This happens in relationships sometimes. People get bored, especially when you're originally attracted to each other because of looks rather than looks and personality (I find that people I get with in clubs I start off brilliantly with and then after a few weeks/ months realise that actually I wouldn't be friends with this person let alone what to date them!) whereas with people who I'm friends with and find physically attractive before going out with, I end up going out with for a very long time because our personalities have already proved to be extremely compatible.

If you're honest about her positive traits and just tell her that you don't think you two are right for each other and can't quite pinpoint why, your gut instinct just tells you it is wrong and you aren't enjoying being with her anymore, then she should accept it.

If she's really into you then she will be very upset, but from the way you described her personality she seems like she could still make a good friend and even if she can't she is a nice girl so she deserves better than to be dumped really harshly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by invictus_veritas)

This happens in relationships sometimes. People get bored, especially when you're originally attracted to each other because of looks rather than looks and personality (I find that people I get with in clubs I start off brilliantly with and then after a few weeks/ months realise that actually I wouldn't be friends with this person let alone what to date them!) whereas with people who I'm friends with and find physically attractive before going out with, I end up going out with for a very long time because our personalities have already proved to be extremely compatible.

If you're honest about her positive traits and just tell her that you don't think you two are right for each other and can't quite pinpoint why, your gut instinct just tells you it is wrong and you aren't enjoying being with her anymore, then she should accept it.

If she's really into you then she will be very upset, but from the way you described her personality she seems like she could still make a good friend and even if she can't she is a nice girl so she deserves better than to be dumped really harshly.
    You have me down perfectly, i agree i only got with her because of looks but i did like her a lot more once i got to know her, but she doesnt suprise me anymore. the relationship is monotonous and i think she deserves someone more suited to her. I don't think she's my type. I know i'm not gay because there are other girls that i'm very interesting in but don't see this as a bail-out in order to get with one of them. I'd like to be single for a while. i've forgotten what it was like.

ReputationRep:

You sound like a decent guy

Tom should take heed of this advice! Things just fizzle out sometimes, and I think that can happen whether to love their personality or not. If this didn't happen, everyone would still be with their first love and no one would ever suffer any breakups, but it just isn't realistic.

Good luck, and be nice to her

p.s. you're quite cute
    p.p.s. no, I'm not cracking on.

ReputationRep:
    maybe she thinks the same of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koko-popz)
    maybe she thinks the same of you.
    It's possible, would make it easier for both of us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodie_lee)
    You sound like a decent guy

Tom should take heed of this advice! Things just fizzle out sometimes, and I think that can happen whether to love their personality or not. If this didn't happen, everyone would still be with their first love and no one would ever suffer any breakups, but it just isn't realistic.

Good luck, and be nice to her

p.s. you're quite cute
    p.p.s. no, I'm not cracking on.
    Haha thanks

I actually know who you are bizzarely enough (I think). You are the girl who got an offer from KCL to do law right?

*don't know how I know that*. I think I saw one of your posts once ages ago, which was quite insightful and was going to PM you asking about it because I was thinking of dropping out and reapplying for a law degree, but then decided to stick with economics instead.

HAHAHAHA just remembered I took my picture down ages ago and you're referring to Tom as cute :P

oopsie... Apologies!

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks

I actually know who you are bizzarely enough (I think). You are the girl who got an offer from KCL to do law right?

*don't know how I know that*. I think I saw one of your posts once ages ago, which was quite insightful and was going to PM you asking about it because I was thinking of dropping out and reapplying for a law degree, but then decided to stick with economics instead.
    Yes, I did indeed get an offer. I was meant to go to Nottingham Sept 08, but I withdrew because I wanted to be in London. Are you glad you stuck with economics?

ReputationRep:
    Angry pirate

Nothing says "you're dumped" like angry pirate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lillylillylilly)
    Thats the point, hes trying to give her respect, and trying to break up with her the nicest way possible. I don't know if you've ever been in that position, but it's hard. So give the guy a break, he wanted advice, and yes I still do think it was self-righteous.....

You quoted me saying that I would be insulted if my bf pitied me...how is that self righteous?! It's an emotion most people would experience...

And the nicest way possible is to just give it to her straight. Not prolong it, and in addition make a thread on a popular forum about it without even bothering to post as anonymous. With a picture of him to boot! Anyone they know can stumble across this.

Of course it's a tough position to be in, for both of them! This is why he should have just told her right away...at this point it's almost like she's being used as a confidence booster.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to represent this girl's side of things!

ReputationRep:
    move on..whats the other option..?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Im going to diagnose you as having GAY !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    She was the hottest girl in the club...
    If you solely began the relationship based on looks, then no wonder you'll get bored.

Try beginning a relationship based on personality and connection more than looks...or else you'll pretty much have a 0.0000000001% chance of having a chance to find love.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.