Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

this should put you off binge drinking Watch

ReputationRep:
    My alcoholic uncle died of exactly this as he was also denied a liver transplant. Unfortunately, that's what you get when you abuse your body to extreme levels.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't put me off anything. I wouldn't consider myself a binge drinker at all, but by the accurate definition, in certain instances i guess must have been.

He was an alcoholic though, i don't plan on becoming one of those, so as far as i'm concerned i have nothing to worry about.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Deano88)
    He was an alcoholic though, i don't plan on becoming one of those, so as far as i'm concerned i have nothing to worry about.
    You think people plan on becoming alcoholics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    You think people plan on becoming alcoholics?
    Obviously not. I just think some people, for whatever reason, continue along a slippery slope, rather then removing themselves from the situation.

I would never allow it to get that far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deano88)
    Obviously not. I just think some people, mfor whatever reason, continue along a slippery slope, rather then removing themselves from the situation.

I would never allow it to get that far.
    I highly doubt that many alcoholics choose to continue on their slippery slopes, most of them don't even realise they are alcoholics until they start having health problems or other people try and help them. Most alcoholics start drinking heavily because of events that have long lasting emotional effects on them, you'd hardly choose to stay an alcoholic, it's hard work to get over any addiction and you're being quite shortsighted because it's not that simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Screenname)
    I highly doubt that many alcoholics choose to continue on their slippery slopes, most of them don't even realise they are alcoholics until they start having health problems or other people try and help them. Most alcoholics start drinking heavily because of events that have long lasting emotional effects on them, you'd hardly choose to stay an alcoholic, it's hard work to get over any addiction and you're being quite shortsighted because it's not that simple.
    I'm not saying that they choose to continue, rather that they don't take strong enough action not to start sliding in the first place. I think people kid themselves into thinking they don't have a problem when they genuinely do. And your right, they may not accept it untill they are confronted by family members or health issues.

I'm aware that most addictions, including alcohol are often the result of previous emotional trauma, and people drink to forget etc. Obviously it's immensely difficult to overcome an addiction, and i applaud anyone who does.

Perhaps i am being short-sighted because i haven't been through a similar experience. But i can only speak for myself when i say that if i were heading towards any kind of addiction, i would hope to have the self-awareness to take control of my actions before it's too late.

ReputationRep:
    Because he's not a famous footballer he dies without having a transplant. Go private I say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.