Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long will a guy stay with you if you say you don't want to have sex! Watch

Okay so I just got into a relationship with this guy. He's way more serious about us than I am. I just got out of a 3 year serious relationship that had a bad breakup and don't really want to get into anything serious or have sex yet. He obviously wants to though and hes told me he loves me and everything. I know he does and hes not lying about that, and he's been really amazing so far about the no sex thing (we've been together 8 months now) He says almost everyday though that he loves me and wants to have sex and all that. I still dont...and he isnt forcing me to, but i know he really wants to! How long will he continue being okay with this though? I know sex is something most guys want in the relationship, but how long will you be okay with not having sex?

ReputationRep:
    Right, 8 months, he has waited a long time already so I'm sure he's not gonna just leave, but still keeping him waiting just because is a bit harsh on him. Understandable if it as your first time or you'd had a really bad sexual experience, but you don't say that so I assume neither are true.
    You keep saying "I just got with him", "I just got out of a 3 year relationship"... 8 months ago is not really "just"!

Every guy is different and it's hard to say how long he's going to be okay with it, but I think you need to sit down and think about why it is you don't want to have sex and how long you plan to keep him waiting.

ReputationRep:
    take it easy- putting pressure on yourself to do stuff is the worst thing you could do, it'll just make you awkward and nervy when you're with him, and you won't enjoy his company as much if you're constantly going ohmigodarewesupposedtobehavingSE X??? Talk to him about it.

ReputationRep:
    8 MONTHS! Jeez, that poor fella's waited long enough! I wouldn't be ok with it for more than 2!

ReputationRep:
    if you make it to a year and he's not cheating on you... I'll give you my car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    if you make it to a year and he's not cheating on you... I'll give you my car
    What kind of car have you got?

ReputationRep:
    urm 8 months is not "just started going out"

as for how long - who knows it depends on the guy

ReputationRep:
    Wondering how long you can get away with not having sex with him isn't really the healthiest way to look at your relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mispar)
    What kind of car have you got?
    Honda civic hatchback, 1997, 1.4... Worth all of sod all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Honda civic hatchback, 1997, 1.4... Worth all of sod all
    Goddamnit. I was hoping for a red chevy. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay so I just got into a relationship with this guy. He's way more serious about us than I am. I just got out of a 3 year serious relationship that had a bad breakup and don't really want to get into anything serious or have sex yet. He obviously wants to though and hes told me he loves me and everything. I know he does and hes not lying about that, and he's been really amazing so far about the no sex thing (we've been together 8 months now) He says almost everyday though that he loves me and wants to have sex and all that. I still dont...and he isnt forcing me to, but i know he really wants to! How long will he continue being okay with this though? I know sex is something most guys want in the relationship, but how long will you be okay with not having sex?
    let me say if he reallly reallly loves you he would look past everything boys want..and wait for you that mean respecting ypur feeling and that means waiting for you when your ready..dont push your self..if he leaves then he not the one for you..u come first coz at the end of the day dont do what u might regret

ReputationRep:
    He has been waiting for a long time now. If you're not ready, just talk to him. Explain to him what makes you feel this way. Together you could try to resolve your problem because it's obvious your previous relationship has changed you.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what guy it is, every guy should have the utmost respect for his girlfriend. If you don't want to do something, then that's it. If he isn't happy with that, then it's not a two-way relationship. Don't do anything unless you're completely ready to do so. If he is any kind of decent guy, he won't keep pestering you and he would let you tell him when you're ready.
    You did say, however, that you "don't really want to get into anything serious or have sex yet". This may sound insensitive, but from a guy's point of view, sex isn't the glue of a relationship. Men don't tend to see that a relationship is serious if you've had sex. So in that respect, don't worry about sex being an indication to a serious relationship, it probably isn't the case on his part.
    Hope this helps and I'm sure whatever you decide you will sort it out!

ReputationRep:
    6weeks

ReputationRep:
    do u actually want 2 b with this guy? coz surely if u wanted him, you'd want 2 av sex with him 2 get closer 2 him - yer that sounds gay but oh well! lol

ReputationRep:
    1 week

ReputationRep:
    i hope you've told him you don't want sex.

ReputationRep:
    He will stay with you for another two months, 11 days and three hours exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    i hope you've told him you don't want sex.
    Yeah me hopes this boyfriend isn't just being blanked when it comes to sexual talk or something, if that's the case he probably hates himself now or something.

Anyway's honestly I'd be ok with it, I'd imagine it would get pretty difficult though especially if you sometimes sleep in the same bed and all that. I mean how close do you get to each other?

But not everyone is me, some guys would have left you already and some would be at the end of the line. I'd talk about it with him even if it is just to confirm it's you who don't feel ready, so he doesn't think it's something about him.

ReputationRep:
    8 months is a ridiculous amount of time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.