Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this what New Labour mean by reducing waiting lists? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So october 08 I was put on a waiting list for a circumcision.I heard nothing about this up until a few weeks ago despite a couple of calls to my hospital urology waiting list department to ask where I was on this waiting list.

I get this letter them like two weeks ago saying we can offer you a circumcision on the 14th .Now due to my other medical condition ,which they know about I can't have an op in the middle of summer. I could have had this op anytime up until April or alternatively I could have waited till september. I called and explained this to them and they said since I had been on the waiting list more than 18 wks which is a government target I either take the op or they kick me off the list. When I explained it was their decision for me to wait more than 18 wks and it's not like I refused an op date before it didn't budge them. So I just left it at that saying I can't attend.

Get a letter from them saying I had removed myself. Went to my GP explained this and he wasn't happy (with them not me) as he had written to them about my other medical condition because it might also effect how Iam after the op.But apparently I am not the first person who this has happened to and he has had to deal with it. So now he is having to write to another surgeon to get me on his list because I need this circumcision for a medical condition and two consultants say i need it.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it's wrong, anything to do with the NHS seems to take a ridiculous amount of time. My consultant referred me for some treatment that could be administered at my GP's surgery in February last year and booked a follow up appointment for July to see how I was getting on six months later. However because it took until the middle of June for them to send one letter to the GP I had another six months of being unwell!

When I received the confirmation letter about my follow up appointment I called the hospital and told them that it would be pointless as the treatment takes at least three-six months to work so there would be no way of telling when I'd only just begun the treatment, so they changed the appointment to later in the year.

Then when I turned up at the rescheduled appointment the response I got was 'why are you here?' I was like um it's my follow up. I was then told that I was no longer a patient with them because I'd failed to turn up for my appointment in July. When I explained that I'd rung up and changed the appointment because their incompetency meant it took five months to send a letter five miles away I got to keep my appointment but they were absolutely foul to me.

You'd think it'd be patients first but obviously not!

ReputationRep:
    yes. Is private practice not an option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    Obviously it's wrong, anything to do with the NHS seems to take a ridiculous amount of time. My consultant referred me for some treatment that could be administered at my GP's surgery in February last year and booked a follow up appointment for July to see how I was getting on six months later. However because it took until the middle of June for them to send one letter to the GP I had another six months of being unwell!

When I received the confirmation letter about my follow up appointment I called the hospital and told them that it would be pointless as the treatment takes at least three-six months to work so there would be no way of telling when I'd only just begun the treatment, so they changed the appointment to later in the year.

Then when I turned up at the rescheduled appointment the response I got was 'why are you here?' I was like um it's my follow up. I was then told that I was no longer a patient with them because I'd failed to turn up for my appointment in July. When I explained that I'd rung up and changed the appointment because their incompetency meant it took five months to send a letter five miles away I got to keep my appointment but they were absolutely foul to me.

You'd think it'd be patients first but obviously not!

Thats disgusting. It's seems we are not isolated cases either. My GP was acting like this happens quite often.I mean fair enough if I was saying I wanted to go on holiday or something but I can't help my other medical problem.

I think it's targets and looking good first and patients last by the looks of it. No problems with NHS staff by the way in my experience almost all have been great but this is taking the mickey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    yes. Is private practice not an option?
    It is if I fancy living on beans for six months after the op. Funnily enough I had a second opinion privately and the consultant was really nice , I'm considering it now to be honest. I'm not exactly rich being a student, I only work part-time and I have just had to buy a new car because the old one died.

If this swine flu isn't complete hysteria I can imagine I will be waiting for sometime by the looks of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    I think it's targets and looking good first and patients last by the looks of it. No problems with NHS staff by the way in my experience almost all have been great but this is taking the mickey.
    Yeah I don't think I've ever met a rude/horrible nurse or assistant. They're all usually absolutely lovely but it's the big pen pushers in their lovely offices but who probably don't use the NHS because they can afford better who are creating these problems.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one wondering why your so worried about getting a circumcision? Is this a medical or a religious thing because if it is the latter then i think you shouldn't have it on the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobweb1989)
    Am I the only one wondering why your so worried about getting a circumcision? Is this a medical or a religious thing because if it is the latter then i think you shouldn't have it on the NHS.
    , two consultants have said I need it for medical reasons, as I went for a second opinion... I put that in my post.

If I don't have it done I might need more complicated surgery according to them.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry mate. I feel for you :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.