Turn on thread page Beta

Why isn't there a 'Unite Against Islamic Extremism'? watch

ReputationRep:
    Or why does UAF appear to only attack the BNP, and not Islamic extremist groups who advocate views which are even more fascist and repugnant than the BNP?

I don't understand why an elected MEP for the BNP is pelted with eggs, whilst a vile man like Anjem Choudary is allowed to stand in the street and spout his vicious views (like stoning homosexuals) through a microphone.

It just seems strange to me, that a group who portray themselves as anti-fascist white knights do not target people who claim to want all women to wear the burka in Britain and the flogging of drunks.

I don't think it matters that Choudary and his cronies are not within a political party, as UAF is Unite Against Fascism, not Unite Against Fascist Parties. Even if UAF don't feel it's their place to protest against Islamic extremists, why isn't a government funded/back organisation set up to do this? It surprises me that fringe groups who protest against Islamic extremists are demonised and are labelled as racist thugs, when there are no high profile groups to protest against them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you start one if you're that bothered. Or is this a thinly-veiled "UAF are anti-white racists or some other nonsense" thread?

ReputationRep:
    You seem to have an oddly high idea of Unite Against Fascism. They've been a joke ever since they did anything (i.e. appeared in the media).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Because the BNP are far more dangerous and easy to attack? What can a public pressure group do against militants? if anything it would just isolate them more. BNP have the potential to take control of the country and can be stopped by widespread public criticism.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I quite like the sound of 'Unite Against Judiasm'. Perhaps we can organise some rallies or something.

ReputationRep:
    UAF is a stupid organisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Because the BNP are far more dangerous and easy to attack?
    The BNP are about as dangerous as butter-iced spongecake.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by L i b)
    Well, the comparison is so cliché now i hate to use it but the nazis weren't so dangerous when they started. If they aren't dangerous its perhaps due to the criticism they receive from such groups coating them with that butter-icing.

I'm more scared of fundamentalist christians in the US though - they know to use the political route rather than the terror one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shalarmay)
    Or why does UAF appear to only attack the BNP, and not Islamic extremist groups who advocate views which are even more fascist and repugnant than the BNP?

I don't understand why an elected MEP for the BNP is pelted with eggs, whilst a vile man like Anjem Choudary is allowed to stand in the street and spout his vicious views (like stoning homosexuals) through a microphone.

It just seems strange to me, that a group who portray themselves as anti-fascist white knights do not target people who claim to want all women to wear the burka in Britain and the flogging of drunks.

I don't think it matters that Choudary and his cronies are not within a political party, as UAF is Unite Against Fascism, not Unite Against Fascist Parties. Even if UAF don't feel it's their place to protest against Islamic extremists, why isn't a government funded/back organisation set up to do this? It surprises me that fringe groups who protest against Islamic extremists are demonised and are labelled as racist thugs, when there are no high profile groups to protest against them anyway.
    The United Kingdom has already followed it's companion, the United States of America in a war against Islamic "extremism" see? It's okay, because the USA and her allies are doing it.

Pelting eggs? No, that is low level weaponry. We're talking cluster bombs, white phosphorus, TAR-32s, GPS guided mortars, DIMEs and Spikes. Oh, this is amongst the constant threat of rape and disease. Not to mention the tanks, helicopter gunships.

You see? Be grateful for what you have.

Personally I think UAF would probably do themselves some good by at least making it clear in statements they also oppose the (probably very minor) extremist and fascist-like strands among Muslim preaching (or indeed among any religion/philosophy). Maybe they do this already? But, as has been hinted at already I think, the BNP are a 'coherent' and obviously political organisation with clearly stated policies and a national structure aimed at gaining direct power and this makes them a far more obvious and useful target. It's a matter of perspective and priority, ultimately. But yes, I do think they should cover their backs and make it plain that fascism is fascism, whether at the hands of the BNP or of extremist-religious groups or interpretations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    Personally I think UAF would probably do themselves some good by at least making it clear in statements they also oppose the (probably very minor) extremist and fascist-like strands among Muslim preaching (or indeed among any religion/philosophy). Maybe they do this already? But, as has been hinted at already I think, the BNP are a 'coherent' and obviously political organisation with clearly stated policies and a national structure aimed at gaining direct power and this makes them a far more obvious and useful target. It's a matter of perspective and priority, ultimately. But yes, I do think they should cover their backs and make it plain that fascism is fascism, whether at the hands of the BNP or of extremist-religious groups or interpretations.
    This really ^^^^ facism is facism whatever the race or religion.

That said I find UAF stupid, misguided and pointless and I can't forsee them attacking islamists or black nationalists with the same venom that they attack the BNP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I wonder how much spongecake you could have made with the eggs they threw at Mr Griffin. Such a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    This really ^^^^ facism is facism whatever the race or religion.

That said I find UAF stupid, misguided and pointless and I can't forsee them attacking islamists or black nationalists with the same venom that they attack the BNP.
    the govt is already fighting a war on islamic extremist terror if you didn't know. (even though it won't achieve anything positive). and black nationalists? UAF could only combat that if they were transported to Harlem in the 60s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mozzy1411)
    The United Kingdom has already followed it's companion, the United States of America in a war against Islamic "extremism" see? It's okay, because the USA and her allies are doing it.

Pelting eggs? No, that is low level weaponry. We're talking cluster bombs, white phosphorus, TAR-32s, GPS guided mortars, DIMEs and Spikes. Oh, this is amongst the constant threat of rape and disease. Not to mention the tanks, helicopter gunships.

You see? Be grateful for what you have.
    Hardly comparable. We're talking about internal extremists and protest groups (not states) who may or may not be backed by the government.

How predictable that you attempt to subtly defend a repulsive man like Choudary.

ReputationRep:
    You mean, like, our army?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    You mean, like, our army?
    Ha ha ha.

More like "Unite For American Oil Interests"

ReputationRep:
    Point is Op they don't really care about fascism or what have you. They are a violent group with their own far left political goals. Attacking muslims doesn't really help them beacuse they are against the establishemtn as much as they are, just in a different way. Sometimes an enemy of an enemy is a temporary friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shalarmay)
    I'm sure that many people in the UAF are against both the BNP and Islamic extremism. The two aren't mutually exclusive - if you dislike one you don't necessarily like the other. If you think about it, if the UAF did make it their aim to tackle young Muslims, then it wouldn't really be the UAF. Why don't gay rights groups attack sexists? Well, I'm sure they're against sexism as well, but they're first and foremost gay rights groups so they're ill-equipped to attack the latter.

Furthermore, whilst the BNP is a fairly stable and coherent political party, young Muslim extremists don't seem to operate in the same way (or, certainly, not to the same extent). They also probably chose the word "fascist" on a rather lazy afternoon in a nonchalant fashion. They're probably really mean the socially-right winged, race-pre-occupied, economic protectionist, liberty-curbing bigots.

And yeah, their methods are a bit naff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    Ha ha ha.

More like "Unite For American Oil Interests"
    Actually, I'll explore this for you. Regardless of their actual motivation, you can't deny that the reason given for going to war is to "tackle terror" or "fight Islamic Extremism". So the Western governments (including our own), do actually take the banner of "Unite Against Islamic Extremism", regardless of their true motives/intentions (which, incidently, I could question for virtually every organisation). Furthermore, it's questionable whether that would be the soldier's (or even the British government's) prime motivation, in any case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    Furthermore, whilst the BNP is a fairly stable and coherent political party, young Muslim extremists don't seem to operate in the same way (or, certainly, not to the same extent)..
    To be fair the BNP didn't blow up 50 people on buses and underground trains nor did they plot to kill thousands by hijacking planes.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.