9 or more Months into Relationship
    1.86%
    Have been in a Relationship, but haven't said "I love you"
    13.02%
    Never had a relationship
    16.28%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrshembrough)
    well, must have been about a month and a half in, but there is relevant context!!!

we'd been out before, about a year previously, and he'd sort of fell for me then, and i knew i liked him, and knew tht even if it didnt work now it would later, and i knew that it was meant to be, and we'd marry and live happily ever after, so breaking up that first time wasnt so bad for me, cos i sort of saw it as more of a putting on hold, i wasnt ready to commit at 15!!

so yeah, i sort of broke his heart, like really hurt him, and then about 9 months later realised what a dumb sh*t i'd been. and all the time he still loved me, was still my friend, even volunteered at the same charity shop as me at the same time just so we could spend some time together, and then sort of admitted to him that i knew we'd always be together in the end, and that yes, i did want to be with him. about a month later we got together, (i'd never asked anyone out before, we went to the cinema as friends, and were so shy, and talked at home afterwards lol) and then about a month and a half in i thought, yup, this is it, and told him, and havent looked back since

14 months now, we're going to uni together, and i get to marry him when we're out of uni, and can afford it!!!!!

so yeah (after that life story- sorry...) when it feels right, special, and when you are certain that there is no other person on this planet you would rather be with....
    Aaww that's story so sweet. I'm sentimental so I guess I'm the outcast in the guy category. If I could experience something similar to the girl I like, then that would be amazing.
    1 more year of high school before college (or university, we call it college in the states)

ReputationRep:
    the words i love you are thrown around all too often, they should only be used when in love, for me that was about 4 months..

ReputationRep:
    The 2-month and 3-month have been the same number since both had 7 votes.
    Coincidence?

ReputationRep:
    I reckon that the earlier you say it...and actually mean it, the longer it will last.
    I mean, if you have to wait ages for you to actually love them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    I reckon that the earlier you say it...and actually mean it, the longer it will last.
    I mean, if you have to wait ages for you to actually love them...
    I actually agree with this.
    TBH I think friendship first then love later is actually a very reasonable way to go for a lot of trust in a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Technically it was about 3 weeks in, but we had been close for maybe 3 months before we actually started going out. But yeah, I said it when I was confident I felt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snipex)
    Technically it was about 3 weeks in, but we had been close for maybe 3 months before we actually started going out. But yeah, I said it when I was confident I felt it.
    That's nice, man. I think it also depends on how many times you can see your partner per day.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, tell a lie. Been together for 16 months now, knwn each other for 2 years. I said it after a year of knowing him. Took him over a day to say it back cos he wanted to make sure he meant it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englandforever)
    Ahh, tell a lie. Been together for 16 months now, knwn each other for 2 years. I said it after a year of knowing him. Took him over a day to say it back cos he wanted to make sure he meant it.
    wowwwwww thats amazing.
    Hope you two are going strong and end up happy

ReputationRep:
    Said it three months (on the day) in. Only known each other just over a month longer (met through friends). I don't care if people think that was too early. I was so sure when I said it and now we've been together 3 years and I still feel exactly the same!

ReputationRep:
    im surprised that (So far) the majority of people in the poll said after 1 month

are you people stupid?

ReputationRep:
    me and my bf 1st said it about 4 months into our relationship but i dont think we really did then - we just thought we did. feelings have got a hell of a lot stronger over time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiahoneybee)
    Said it three months (on the day) in. Only known each other just over a month longer (met through friends). I don't care if people think that was too early. I was so sure when I said it and now we've been together 3 years and I still feel exactly the same!
    :eek: You two must have seen each other day after day :rolleyes:
    Otherwise I wouldn't understand getting to know someone that fast to go out within a month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ken321)
    :eek: You two must have seen each other day after day :rolleyes:
    Otherwise I wouldn't understand getting to know someone that fast to go out within a month
    Hmm, well I think because we were set up- we always kind of knew we would get together. So it wasn't like oh we'll get to know each other as friends and then see where it goes, we kind of went from "hello" into boyfriend and girlfriend (which yeah doesn't always work, but in my case it has worked, well, brilliantly) in a short time yes but when we officially started "going out" we didn't claim to know everything about each other, we just knew we liked each other and we wanted to be exclusive. Like I said 3 months later (and yes obviously we spent a lot of time together, we were in that honeymoon phase), I knew I loved him and I wasn't just some silly besotted teen. It just goes to show how it can vary though because after 3 months with my ex boyfriend, I was nowhere near considering saying "I love you" and we had known each other since we were 5 years old (so 12 years)- so I don't think just how long you've known each other or been necessarily makes too much of a difference, it was more me and my ex weren't suited, whereas me and my current boyfriend are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ken321)
    wowwwwww thats amazing.
    Hope you two are going strong and end up happy
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiahoneybee)
    Hmm, well I think because we were set up- we always kind of knew we would get together. So it wasn't like oh we'll get to know each other as friends and then see where it goes, we kind of went from "hello" into boyfriend and girlfriend (which yeah doesn't always work, but in my case it has worked, well, brilliantly) in a short time yes but when we officially started "going out" we didn't claim to know everything about each other, we just knew we liked each other and we wanted to be exclusive. Like I said 3 months later (and yes obviously we spent a lot of time together, we were in that honeymoon phase), I knew I loved him and I wasn't just some silly besotted teen. It just goes to show how it can vary though because after 3 months with my ex boyfriend, I was nowhere near considering saying "I love you" and we had known each other since we were 5 years old (so 12 years)- so I don't think just how long you've known each other or been necessarily makes too much of a difference, it was more me and my ex weren't suited, whereas me and my current boyfriend are!
    I only THINK the girl I like likes me back but I'm not experienced enough to tell. So my life is bumpy at this point. Hoping for a happy ending though

(Original post by englandforever)
    Thank you!
    You're always welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Han265)
    me and my bf 1st said it about 4 months into our relationship but i dont think we really did then - we just thought we did. feelings have got a hell of a lot stronger over time.
    Congratulations to you

ReputationRep:
    wow most on tsr were a little eager to get laid I think with those results!

ReputationRep:
    In my first relationship the guy said it to me on like, the second date. It was horiffic :zomg: he kept doing it so in like, the second week I just said it back to stop the awkwardness afterwards :unsure:

Learnt m'lesson though :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    In my first relationship the guy said it to me on like, the second date. It was horiffic :zomg: he kept doing it so in like, the second week I just said it back to stop the awkwardness afterwards :unsure:

Learnt m'lesson though :yes:
    Had a similar experience a few weeks ago. To a girl.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.