Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Encourage left-of-centre thinking, says BBC drama boss Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got a better idea: "encourage right-of-centre thinking"

Done :yep:

I think it's probably best to ignore anything written in The Daily Communist myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    No, Simon Heffer is one of my few unfailing sources of comedy. :yep:
    Snap

Mad Mel Phillips too, but she's in the Daily Fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    well you wouldn't notice because to you, centre-left thinking is common sense.
    That's not an example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trachimbrod)
    That's not an example.
    http://biased-bbc.blogspot.com/

The archives go back for years; knock yourself out.

ReputationRep:
    The people at the BBC are intelligent, balanced and fair people, thus they're leaning towards the left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasri-diaby)
    The people at the BBC are intelligent, balanced and fair people, thus they're leaning towards the left.
    This is it precisely.

This is what the employees at the BBC, and about a third of the population, really believe. To them, leftism is not an ideology, it's just the only conclusion an honest, intelligent person could possibly reach. I used to think this way when I was a leftist.

This is precisely why the thing needs to be closed down, and its employees thrown out onto the streets. It is a pernicious manufacturer of propaganda. And it will never reform because it honestly doesn't believe it's doing anything wrong. If it is privatised this will not change, and it will still retain the accumulated advantages of almost a century of subsidy and legal privilege. It has to be destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by favh)
    This is it precisely.

This is what the employees at the BBC, and about a third of the population, really believe. To them, leftism is not an ideology, it's just the only conclusion an honest, intelligent person could possibly reach. I used to think this way when I was a leftist.

This is precisely why the thing needs to be closed down, and its employees thrown out onto the streets. It is a pernicious manufacturer of propaganda. And it will never reform because it honestly doesn't believe it's doing anything wrong. If it is privatised this will not change, and it will still retain the accumulated advantages of almost a century of subsidy and legal privilege. It has to be destroyed.
    It's the "general will". You know, the same thing the Jacobins used to justify their murder and social engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrunkHamster)
    http://biased-bbc.blogspot.com/

The archives go back for years; knock yourself out.
    To an extent I agree that the BBC is biased, so I don't need to be pursuaded. I just didn't think that examples needed to put forward when asked.

Anyways, I did have a look at that blog, and though some valid points are made, on the whole, it's a little bit pathetic and tabloidesque. Examining Andrew Marr's attitude in interviewing George Osborne and Alan Johnson seems to me like clutching at straws somewhat.

I've always thought the reason the BBC are a little 'left to centre' is because they - rightly or wrongly - pander to the government. Recently I've found that they consistently show bias towards David Cameron in the 10 PM news coverage of Prime Minister's Questions, something further exemplified towards Nick Robinson's general cynicism of Brown's government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrunkHamster)
    I like Sean Gabb's take on it:

On the first day of your government, you should close down the BBC. You should take it off air. You should disclaim its copyrights. You should throw all its staff into the street. You should not try to privatise the BBC. This would simply be to transfer the voice of your enemy from the public to the private sector, where it might be more effective in its opposition. You must shut it down - and shut it down at once. You should do the same with much of the administration. The Foreign Office, much of the Home Office, the Commission for Racial Equality, anything to do with health and safety and planning and child protection - I mean much of the public sector - these should be shut down. If at the end of your first month in power, you have not shut down half of the State, you are failing. If you have shut down half the State, you have made a step in the right direction, and are ready for still further cuts.
    I'm with you 200%, obliterate the stupid BBC. Rip it into smithereens!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Ever heard of the term left-field? It has nothing to do with politics.

He later denied that he had meant the comment to have a political meaning.

"Like 'left-field', it is a phrase that I use with frequency when talking to the creative community to encourage them to develop and approach their ideas from a completely new perspective," he said.

It seems to be your lack of creative thought that instinctively drew you to the conclusion you would have most liked.
    I think it's equally worrying that the BBC has such high-ranking officials who don't know what left-of-centre means. It is not the same as left-field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    I'm with you 200%, obliterate the stupid BBC. Rip it into smithereens!
    What good would that do?

ReputationRep:
    Finally the institutional left-wing bias of the BBC is revealed.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it is the way forward, progressive politics and all that

Hope the right aren't too upset (over something that probably isn't true).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasri-diaby)
    Except when it comes to their own salaries and rip-off expenses pay-outs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    I've got a better idea: "encourage right-of-centre thinking"

Done :yep:

I think it's probably best to ignore anything written in The Daily Communist myself
    If you believe The Guardian to be "Communist" then you clearly don't know a whole lot about Communism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john1987)
    Except when it comes to their own salaries and rip-off expenses pay-outs.
    ...and we've never ever heard a case of a right-wing politician doing the exact same.

ReputationRep:
    BBC (Broadcasting By Communists)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)
    BBC (Broadcasting By Communists)
    You really have no clue what communism is, do you? Seeing as the majority of BBC workers have graduated from Oxbridge and earn some of highest British salaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    You really have no clue what communism is, do you? Seeing as the majority of BBC workers have graduated from Oxbridge and earn some of highest British salaries.

Enlighten me.
    I want all of Marx´s work on my desk tomorrow.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I think it's equally worrying that the BBC has such high-ranking officials who don't know what left-of-centre means. It is not the same as left-field.
    Words aren't absolute. :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.