Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Encourage left-of-centre thinking, says BBC drama boss Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    If you believe The Guardian to be "Communist" then you clearly don't know a whole lot about Communism.
    Well, The Guardian is a very left-wing paper. To make my point I merely exaggerated it's left-wing tendancy and called it communist. I know enough about communism to know it's fundamentally flawed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    Well, The Guardian is a very left-wing paper. To make my point I merely exaggerated it's left-wing tendancy and called it communist. I know enough about communism to know it's fundamentally flawed
    Okay then, why is it fundy flawed?

ReputationRep:
    It's hilarious that people feel so threatened by this that they would stop paying the license fee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Okay then, why is it fundy flawed?
    Well, it is built on the basis that people want to be equal - tbh I don't believe that people really do.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it is built on the basis that people want to be equal - tbh I don't believe that people really do.
    It's built upon the premise that things, socially and economically, should be equal. It's the new empty consumerist culture that has moulded finanically driven people, ultimately aiding the cause of capitalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrunkHamster)
    I like Sean Gabb's take on it:

On the first day of your government, you should close down the BBC. You should take it off air. You should disclaim its copyrights. You should throw all its staff into the street. You should not try to privatise the BBC. This would simply be to transfer the voice of your enemy from the public to the private sector, where it might be more effective in its opposition. You must shut it down - and shut it down at once. You should do the same with much of the administration. The Foreign Office, much of the Home Office, the Commission for Racial Equality, anything to do with health and safety and planning and child protection - I mean much of the public sector - these should be shut down. If at the end of your first month in power, you have not shut down half of the State, you are failing. If you have shut down half the State, you have made a step in the right direction, and are ready for still further cuts.
    How would you privatize the foreign office?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    It's built upon the premise that things, socially and economically, should be equal. It's the new empty consumerist culture that has moulded finanically driven people, ultimately aiding the cause of capitalism.
    there's nothing wrong with capitalism. We just weren't meant to be equal - for a start it would be dull, if everyone was equal then there'd be nothing to aspire to

ReputationRep:
    there's nothing wrong with capitalism. We just weren't meant to be equal - for a start it would be dull, if everyone was equal then there'd be nothing to aspire to
    Yes, yes there is. An awful lot, actually. the top 50% of the population control 99% of the wealth. The gap between the richest and poorest is now 80:1, this is what capitalism has done.

Do you agree with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasri-diaby)
    The people at the BBC are intelligent, balanced and fair people, thus they're leaning towards the left.
    You forgot: deluded, idealistic, dull, brain damaged - no list of adjectives with negative connotations could sufficiently reinforce the utterly moronic mentality of leftists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Yes, yes there is. An awful lot, actually. the top 50% of the population control 99% of the wealth. The gap between the richest and poorest is now 80:1, this is what capitalism has done.

Do you agree with this?
    It doesn't bother me, I think artificially shaping a society would be wrong. People should be allowed to just get on and live their lives with minimal state intervention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shalarmay)
    You forgot: deluded, idealistic, dull, brain damaged - no list of adjectives with negative connotations could sufficiently reinforce the utterly moronic mentality of leftists.
    Why can't you just appreciate differences in political affiliations?

Oh, by the way, idealism is one aspect of human nature that can, and should, be admired.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't bother me, I think artificially shaping a society would be wrong. People should be allowed to just get on and live their lives with minimal state intervention.
    Right-o. I'll never understand the "I'm fine therefore I don't care about anybody else" mentality, but okay.

You capitalists never cease to amaze me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Why can't you just appreciate differences in political affiliations?

Oh, by the way, idealism is one aspect of human nature that can, and should, be admired.
    Idealism is impractical and unrealistic. An utterly futile activity, indulged by leftists who enjoy residing in their ivory towers. How is it up there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Right-o. I'll never understand the "I'm fine therefore I don't care about anybody else" mentality, but okay.

You capitalists never cease to amaze me.
    Um, that's not my mentality at all. People's personal freedom would obviously be decreased as the state takes a greater role in society - I don't think this should be allowed to happen. Personal freedom comes above practically everything else imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trachimbrod)
    What good would that do?
    Other than personal satisfaction, nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Words aren't absolute. :rolleyes:
    That's a ridiculous attempt at a defence.

(Original post by Kyte)
    It's hilarious that people feel so threatened by this that they would stop paying the license fee.
    Of course they do. The only legitimacy the BBC and other public corporations have is that they are independent, neutral and unbiased.

ReputationRep:
    Um, that's not my mentality at all. People's personal freedom would obviously be decreased as the state takes a greater role in society - I don't think this should be allowed to happen. Personal freedom comes above practically everything else imo.
    You said it doesn't bother you that the gap between the richest and poorest is now 80:1. That means that some are earning in excess of £500,000 whilst others are earning £1000 per annum. If you don't see how this system is flawed then I can only conclude you're blind.

Personal freedom, what a joke! Social mobility is non-existent for those in the lower echelons of society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tory Dan)
    No doubt you would say the same if it was about say a right wing media outlet like the Telegraph.
    you honestly think that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shalarmay)
    Idealism is impractical and unrealistic. An utterly futile activity, indulged by leftists who enjoy residing in their ivory towers. How is it up there?
    No, idealism is something that should be cherised, it achieves change. It's not futile, many beliefs that would've been considered idealism in their earliest formation have turned out to be some of the most significant changes our society has ever witnessed (i.e. civil rights, for example).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    You said it doesn't bother you that the gap between the richest and poorest is now 80:1. That means that some are earning in excess of £500,000 whilst others are earning £1000 per annum. If you don't see how this system is flawed then I can only conclude you're blind.

Personal freedom, what a joke! Social mobility is non-existent for those in the lower echelons of society.
    Nah not blind, though my eyesight isn't that great anymore - I need to choose my glasses at specsavers but haven't got around to it yet!

But seriously, I guess at first glance the difference in earnings would seem unfair - and maybe it is.

But i'm against the state getting involved and redistributing wealth. I mean, for a start, whenever the state gets involved things tend to go wrong...

I'm sorry but anything that restricts what people can do is not for me :no:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.