Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Okay so I am 21 ... I did my A Levels 3 yrs ago & now I have decided I want to go to University...lets call it a mid life crisis
    Anyway I have decided to stay at home while studying basically cause my mum is on her own and needs help as she has arthritis & just couldn't bring myself to move out and leave her. There is no one else I am the only child. Also I am having to support myself completely while at Uni as well as still pay whilst living at home.

I feel like I am going to miss out on so much not living in halls & although I love my mum more than anything I feel like I am not going to have freedom at all while I am at uni, she is always going to be wanting to know where I am what I am doing when I am coming home it is going to be so hard! I can't help thinking I am making the wrong decision but would it make me a horrible daughter if i moved into halls ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Does anyone else live with your mom, like your dad or anyone?

Can she get a carer if it's pretty bad? (You can get additional benefits and stuff if you need one).

I don't think you'd be a horrible daughter, but halls aren't necessarily all they're cracked up to be, and you will make loads of friends on your course anyway. Lots of people on my course travel from Birmingham (I'm in Coventry). You'd have to make a compromise; maybe you could stay if she promises to give you more freedom.

Supporting yourself at Uni shouldn't be a problem; you can get loans for that, and I'm sure you don't pay as much to live at home as it costs to live in halls!

Jx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Does anyone else live with your mom, like your dad or anyone?

Can she get a carer if it's pretty bad? (You can get additional benefits and stuff if you need one).

I don't think you'd be a horrible daughter, but halls aren't necessarily all they're cracked up to be, and you will make loads of friends on your course anyway. Lots of people on my course travel from Birmingham (I'm in Coventry). You'd have to make a compromise; maybe you could stay if she promises to give you more freedom.

Supporting yourself at Uni shouldn't be a problem; you can get loans for that, and I'm sure you don't pay as much to live at home as it costs to live in halls!

Jx
    no it is just my mum and me! She isn't that bad tht she would need a carer but i still wouldn't like her to be on her own. I live about 20 mins on the bus away frm my uni campus it is just the simple fact tht i dnt want to miss out on all the fun !

ReputationRep:
    If you move out, as you say its only 20 mins away, you CAN visit regularly....

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position in terms of starting uni this year aged 21.

I agree that if you are only 20 mins away then you could easily visit every other day if you wanted, or still you can live at home and make friends who you can stay with at uni after the odd night out...

Personally I'm only moving into halls to meet people.

ReputationRep:
    In addition to my other post, i stayed at home during first year. I felt I missed out on meeting new people, and since a lot of my coursemates lived in the same area found it harder to mix

ReputationRep:
    I think I will just stay at home for the 1st year as everyone has applied for accom now anyway so all the best ones are taken! see what happens next yr! I am going to make sure I join some sort of club and a student gym to make friends tht way rather than just rely on my coursemates! Further to this the place where I work is crawling with students so will be able to meet people there, if I still feel like I am missing out I will consider student accom nxt yr I think & speak to my mum to make sure she will be okay on her own! x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.