Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Baby Beauty Queens": would you enter your kid in a child beauty pageant? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This programme was on last night - apparently the UK is now following the US and this year is the first Mini Miss UK competition. I think it's ghastly, really unhealthy and kids with makeup and fake tan are vaguely nauseating. JonBenet Ramsay style. Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    No because beauty is subjective, and there are more important things in life.
    I don't want to cake my baby in makeup and parade her around on a stage infront of "judges" wtf =\
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Never that just sounds wrong in every way.

ReputationRep:
    no because I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing 143576(cool number ya?) paedophiles are jacking off to my kid.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the harm in it, if the child wants to do it. I'd never push them into it, but lots of little girls like to play dress up and wear a bit of their mum's make up, so if they enjoy it then fair play. It only becomes creepy, imo, when you see the mother's pushing the children into it, because of their own dreams whether the child likes it or not.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get why parents would enter their babies in a beauty pageant.

ReputationRep:
    I saw that, some of the mums were awful, like the one who said she was concerned when her daughter was born as she didn't want an ugly child. I also felt sad for that 9 year old who was crying because she didn't want the spray tan.
    To answer the question - no I won't be entering my daughter in beauty pageants.

ReputationRep:
    No waaay! It's just forcing your child too grow up far to early! I don't want my child to go through eyebrow waxing, fake nails and spray tans when they're six, I want them to actually be a child!

And those type of mother's who enter their children into those sorts of things just seem to be living through their children, it's just sad!

ReputationRep:
    When was this on? I would have been interested to watch. And no I wouldn't subject my child to that sort of pressure. What would we gain?

ReputationRep:
    No, let kids be kids I say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    When was this on? I would have been interested to watch. And no I wouldn't subject my child to that sort of pressure. What would we gain?
    it was on last night on bbc3 so you could probably watch it again on bbc i player

ReputationRep:
    no never

ReputationRep:
    No, I find the whole idea totally abhorrent!.Kids should not be wearing make up, having spray tans, wearing short skirts and being paraded about!!!!. Kids should be allowed to be kids.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    It's really, really creepy. I don't understand people who wish to spend their days judging which child is 'cuter'.

All babies are lovely - let's just let them be naturally cute without make-up and fashionable shoes.

EDIT: I just found the show on iPlayer and they don't even look nice. They look like they should be on a street corner. I fear the future of society.

ReputationRep:
    Omg the one mother who got her kid plastic surgery when she was seven... and said "I didn't want an ugly child... when she was born I really was quite concerned." !!!

ReputationRep:
    And is now paying £200 to have her 9 year old taught a "signature catwalk walk"!

ReputationRep:
    No because babies are ugly.

ReputationRep:
    That show really scared me, creepy born again Christians who don't mind their kid being paraded on a catwalk, caked in make up for all the local pedophiles to gawk at? The lady who was really poor I thought was okay, her kid wanted to do it to improve her confidence and the mum said how a little bit of lipstick and eyeshadow like what little kids usually wear when they play dress up was okay, but the actual caked face look was rank. She even said they all looked like little trannies! Hahaaa! She also said to her kid if she went on the stage and didn't want to do her dance then she could walk straight back off, but the other mums were SO PUSHY about the solo performance! The little girl even said that winning wasn't that important, just doing that dance and overcoming her fear was wht she was there for.

I would never enter my kid into a beauty pageant, because I don't think way you look matters at all and I really wouldn't want them exposed to other parents who have such shocking morals - how can you be concerned if your baby is ugly? All children are beautiful in their own way. What a bunch of creeps!

ReputationRep:
    The woman that said her baby girl was ugly and stuff and made her get her ears pinned back - I felt so disgusted. What a complete *****.

ReputationRep:
    No, because none of those kids we're happy. Apart from the shy one, who gained confidence. So glad that the family that was praying to win, did not. What kind of people are they, seriously.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.