Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Baby Beauty Queens": would you enter your kid in a child beauty pageant? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It depends if my kid was sexy or not. I wouldn't put an ugly child in because they'd only be disappointed, and, besides, who wants to see an ugly kid?

ReputationRep:
    No, definitely not. Even if my child wanted to I wouldn't let them. If they want to dress up they can do it at home; they don't need to be entered into something like this where they're dolled up to look like adults (though in all fairness, the British version seemed to be nothing like as bad as the American pagaents) and paraded in front of an audience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaslug77)
    That show really scared me, creepy born again Christians who don't mind their kid being paraded on a catwalk, caked in make up for all the local pedophiles to gawk at? !

I died with laughter when the camera guy asked the woman whether beauty pageants contradicted her Christian beliefs and she said 'No, God blessed Madison with a talent as she is beautiful, he wants her to use that talent.'
    Beauty is hardly a talent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie0914)
    I died with laughter when the camera guy asked the woman whether beauty pageants contradicted her Christian beliefs and she said 'No, God blessed Madison with a talent as she is beautiful, he wants her to use that talent.'
    I thought it was even more funny when they prayed to God for her to win and when she didn't they all said 'God has something else planned!'... LOL and when the girl cried for not winning, that was pretty funny, too.

ReputationRep:
    ohh i just watched this on iplayer, HAHA. my personal favourite bit was when the one who sang the abba song said she wanted to 'show off how good she was at singing' and then she was TERRIBLE.

ReputationRep:
    i like beauty pageants.. but not for under 18s!

ReputationRep:
    I'm watching this show on iPlayer now.
    Its horrifying

ReputationRep:
    No. I can see potential benefits (improved confidence) but I think it's stupid to get kids that young thinking that beauty and talent are everything. Also, it's stupid spending hundreds on dresses for 8 year olds.

ReputationRep:
    Wtf no.
    They're going to the mines.

ReputationRep:
    With my inferior genes my kids will likely be ugly so I wouldn't enter them even if I wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: at this show.
    sweet baby jesus

All the mums in that programme were failures in life who were trying to make up for it through their children.

ReputationRep:
    i saw the last 20min of the programme, it was awful :s i dont think the UK will become as bad as the US though

ReputationRep:
    There's no way I would do that to a child of mine! (when I have them!)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't enter my children. It looked to me, especially on the website they showed, that it is basically a showcase for paedophiles. I really liked the 'poor' girl though, I think I would let my daughter enter a competition that was like that, I mean playing dress up and doing a fun little dance routine they've made. I wouldn't let her dress up like jail bait though, because people perving on my children is just unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie0914)
    I couldn't understand how they validated entering a 10 year old in a beauty paegent to specifically look like jail bait. I mean they are creating temptation for paedophiles in a big way, which isn't very Christian.

ReputationRep:
    I watched this. The only decent mother there was the one that wasn't that well off, she seemed to have the right attitude about it all.
    I'd never enter my child into one of these. Firstly because they all look a mess and just ridiculous. Secondly as there are much better ways to spend £1000 on a child.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I saw this last night.
    No way would I ever let my kid do that!! They're children, let them act like them.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    A pageant like those kinds - no way would I enter my kids into anything like that.

I've entered my kid in "cute baby/toddler" competitions before, but only ones were you take your kid to get their photo taken, and it lasts like 5 minutes at the most, and then you buy your prints and leave. Then the prints get published in a newspaper for example, or online, and other people vote on them.
    There's no pressure on the children whatsoever, and they're not wearing makeup or prancing around like ponies.

I only do it to get nice professional pics of the kids done - much the same as you would if you took your kids to a photo shoot in a studio so you can buy some nice photos for your wall.

ReputationRep:
    No

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.