Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Baby Beauty Queens": would you enter your kid in a child beauty pageant? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was creepy. You could so tell the girl from Glasgow didn't want to do it. When she was at that church thing and was asked why she wanted to enter it she was like 'don't know' and then all the spray tanning and having to practise her dance she didn't want either of those. The youngest one who was from a poor family looked terrified I wouldn't have put her through it but I suppose at least she feels more confident now so it may not have been too bad. The other girl seemed into it but it sickens me that her mum made her get surgery on her ears. Imagine putting a kid through that and making them believe it's ok and they are ugly without it.

ReputationRep:
    i saw that programme. this woman was like.. "i was so worried when tayla was born because she wasn't cute.. and i thought to myself.. oh my god i can't have an ugly baby!!"

urrr...

ReputationRep:
    I found myself unable to be in the same room as the programme and had to leave.

ReputationRep:
    Setting the young ladies up for a life time of image fixation, low self esteem or dressing up like a whores draws every day. Suppose it just shaves a few years off before the inevitable. Shaves, hmm possibly bad choice of word.

ReputationRep:
    I was so shocked by the programme.

The girl from Glasgow, I agree with an earlier post that she didn't seem to want to do it. If I was a parent and my child was crying because of a spray tan there is no way I would do it. Clearly something is not right when your child is crying. She got swept up in the enthusiasm for it all but in reality when questioned by the church she didn't know why she was doing it. Consequently it must have been tough on the older sister to always hear that her sister was so pretty (and will spoil that little girl), though the hysteria by the older sister at the end was over the top. The girl acted as many 9 years olds would, with a sulk. Don't think it's a spoilt attitude, just a typical child.

The next child Tala (or something). She definitely had the worst mum. She is 9 years old and had plastic surgery and wearing contacts. I don't know how much damage contacts can do by wearing them at a young age, but there must be a reason they aren't prescribed to young children (not wearing glasses myself means that I'm limited in knowledge of this subject). If she doesn't grow up with a very poor self image, I would be surprised. Her mum was stemming all her insecurities onto her daughter.

Sasha, was the sweetest girl of the bunch. If we must have a Mini Miss UK pageant, let them be full of girls like Sasha (or like the girl from Little Miss Sunshine). Sasha used the pageant as an opportunity to develop her self confidence and you saw her blossom after she did her routine. Her mum also seemed the most intune with reality when observing the amount of make up that was being put on all the other girls.

Which brings me to the amount of money that was being spent on those girls. £800-1000 being spent on dresses etc seems to me a ludicrous waste of money, even if you have potloads to begin with. Instead of entering them into pageants, they could have taken them on a cheap holiday etc.

I agree as well, the brief shots of the winner (not only the oldest competitor by far) was far more natural in appearance than the other contestants.

Did anyone else notice that the girl that featured in Sasha: Beauty Queen at 13 (something along those lines-a similar programme, which aired last year on BBC3 was competing?)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.