Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently I have a 32" Flatscreen TV and dont particularly want to buy a smaller one just to move into halls.

Is it going to fit? I dont use a PC because I have a laptop so won't need a desk!

Opinions please? Or should I just buy a smaller tv.

ReputationRep:
    No it won't. You'll become a social recluse if you take a TV to Hall - I only know three people in my Hall of Residence in my first two years that had TVs

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my 32" HDTV with me too :proud: I'm using it as a PC monitor though so I kinda have to take it, but yeah it will fit in an average room. I know quite a lot of people who take their tvs and it isn't the end of the world as suggested above. I'm also taking my Xbox with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    I'm taking my 32" HDTV with me too :proud: I'm using it as a PC monitor though so I kinda have to take it, but yeah it will fit in an average room. I know quite a lot of people who take their tvs and it isn't the end of the world as suggested above. I'm also taking my Xbox with me
    Thats good to know!
    To be honest the comment above obviously depends on the person, i'm very socialable anyway so its more of a thing to do in my alone time, I'll also be taking the Xbox and using the screen as a monitor for my laptop when doing projects and watching films etc.

Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I recently got a 22" HD monitor which I'll be taking into halls with me.

TV makes you a social recluse? I'm taking an Xbox 360, a sound chair and Rock Band with all instruments and a premium ION drumkit with me. =D

ReputationRep:
    i dont know whether to take my 26 inch tv with me or take a smaller tv. Would i even need a tv? im thinking its best to take one just in case, i mean if i dont use it then so be it, but at least ive got one to keep updated on the news etc. I dont know whether to take my 26 inch HDTV or not.
    Also whats your view on taking a full sized desktop pc? i have bought a laptop for Uni, but my desktop is better for gaming but i dont know if i would ever want to play games. I have no experience of uni so i dont know what im going to be doing most of the time.
    Any advice?

p.s what about crockery etc, we all share a kitchen, presumably everyones going to be bringing there own crockery, wheres it all going to go!?

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping my 40 inch will fit as i dont want to sell it and it will be useful for the second year when not in halls. If it doesnt, i may mount it on the wall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew_)
    I'm hoping my 40 inch will fit as i dont want to sell it and it will be useful for the second year when not in halls. If it doesnt, i may mount it on the wall!
    Dont think they'd let u mount it on the wall to be honest. Most of them dont let u use blue tac to mount posters!

But hopefully our big TV's will fit
    Seems a bit silly having to buy a smaller one!

ReputationRep:
    yea i agree, if u lot are taking ur biggens then i am too, it does seem a bit stupid to down size just for the sake of living in a slightly smaller room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    No it won't. You'll become a social recluse if you take a TV to Hall - I only know three people in my Hall of Residence in my first two years that had TVs
    Christ, I never knew taking a TV would have such profound effects.

I'm probably not gonna take one as soon as I move in, but I plan on taking my Xbox so I might buy one in the after a month or two.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bringing a 24" computer monitor and a 26" TV for my xbox360. They will fit. Somehow. Even if it's by sheer force of will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misslaurabee)
    I'm bringing a 24" computer monitor and a 26" TV for my xbox360. They will fit. Somehow. Even if it's by sheer force of will.
    Why not use your tv as a computer monitor?

ReputationRep:
    One of my new housemates brought his 30" TV into halls , I probably wouldn't recommend doing something like that in halls if only becuase of the risk of having it damaged.Having said that I'm running a 24" and a 19" dual monitor setup with my PC in my flat.

(Original post by Spacecam)
    There's very little on TV anyway worth watching anyway so I think that would be unlikely - having a TV tuner has sometimes proved quite useful.

ReputationRep:
    Mines insured so i wont have to worry about the damage too much. As for becoming a social recluse - I wasnt planning to spend all my time watching the thing, it would just be useful for those moments when i am not in a drunken stupor, attending lectures, or sleeping!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    Why not use your tv as a computer monitor?
    Because I like to be on the Internet and play games at the same time :cool: oh and also I'll be running an iMac and I'm not sure I want to faff around trying to figure out how to play an xbox360 through an iMac, if that's even possible...

ReputationRep:
    Run the Mac through the tv...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.