Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I got the letter that assigned me to Fife Park accomodation 37 weeks. I was happy at first because it is easily affordable. However, then I read threads that there were mainly Asians to live in. Is it true? I am anxious.

I am not being a racist as I am an Asian too but I hope that there will be people from different nationalities shared the house to live with so as to learn the different cultures. I don't want to be with Asians all the time even when I have got into another country.

Besides, do you think the fascility and environment is bad or acceptable?

What do you think? Please tell me more. I am now thinking whether I have to change the accomodation. Your opinions is highly valued. Thanks~

ReputationRep:
    Did you read the threads very closely? Either I've missed a lot of people claiming Fife Park is all Asians, or you've missed the bit where people generally say, 'although you do get all-Asian houses together in Fife Park, it is overall mixed and has people from a variety of backgrounds'.

In terms of diversity: if you want to stay in a little social pocket of whatever you are used to, then you could probably achieve this - but breaking out of that would require little or no effort. It depends how willing you are to go to hall events and mix with people from other houses. Regardless of this, as I have emphasised before, the hall you are in does not dictate your life. You are free to meet whoever you like and socialize with any kind of group, and there are plenty of opportunities in Freshers week to start doing this.

The facility itself is not 5-star. But it is very inhabitable, and if you make the effort to keep your house clean, then it can be a nice place to stay. Things do break, but you can report them in the DRA facilities building, and the porters will come out to fix things. You also get regular water and electrical checks to make sure everything is in working order. For practical purposes, all bedrooms have a bare minimum of the following: Phone, internet socket, bed, wardrobe, chair, desk, lamp, drawers and shelving. While rooms in some other halls have bigger beds or fancier wardrobes, there is nothing wrong with what you are given in the cheaper accommodation.

The surroundings are probably one of the nicest. You are set back from busy roads, and there is lots of greenery and nice views, and trees and flowers and plants and... rabbits. And birds and stuff. There is the extra bonus of rarely having loud noise from bars/parties outside, unlike places nearer the middle of town.

ReputationRep:
    i knew of one person who lived in fife park, all his flat mates were asian.

ReputationRep:
    I stayed in Fife Park for the past 6 weeks as accomodation for my summer job, and overall, I'd say I was very happy with it.

The houses were nicely mixed, with a good number of people from different backgrounds in each, though I can't say what term-time allocation will be like. The rooms aren't big, but are certainly big enough, each with a single bed, desk, wardrobe, bookshelf and bedside table, with enough room to move about.

A house of 6 shares 1 kitchen and 2 bathrooms (one with shower, one without). Those showers, by the way, are fantastic, especially compared to the one I have at home, though hot water can be intermittent at peak shower-time. The kitchen can get busy if everyone wants to cook at the same time, but this is rarely an issue.

If I were you, I'd be delighted that I'd have an extra 2K or so to spend on whatever I want this year, over DRA/New Hall.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in almost the same situation. My preference is Fife park, primarily because it's a lot more affordable and I prefer self catering and the location anyway. I'm sure there will be plenty of people with the same idea. I'd feel a bit left out being the only brit in a house full of asians. Would much prefer a good variety of people. As long as they're easy to get on with.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I don't really know anyone who was in Fife Park last year, but from what I've heard it's got a pretty good community spirit!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.