Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am a post grad student and have been allocated a place at Ustinov college. It happened automatically but the more I look at the Ustinov site the more I feel it's not for me. I have been for a visit too and as I am not going to be living in I really don't think I'll be going there much.

I would like a college with a more pastoral emphasis and one that I can feel involved in. I just don't know if it's too late in the day to change and if if it's even possible to do so.

If anyone can help with this I'd be really pleased to hear from you,

Es

ReputationRep:
    I've tried to request other colleges a month ago

However, all of the college admin said their college were full.... sign....

You should be glad if you already had an accommadation, you know tons of people are still on the waiting list... ha

ReputationRep:
    I'm not looking for accommodation just a change of college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pick)
    I'm not looking for accommodation just a change of college.
    Im sure it is possible you just have to phone the college of choice. I dont think it will be a problem at all if you are not looking for accommodation.

Just ring admissions bear in mind people are away on holiday at the moment which is what I found out.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it'll be a mission and a half to get your college changed.
    However, I recommend Chad's - since we're such a small college there's a lot of emphasis on communal events, and the MCR is pretty tight-knit as well from what I hear.

ReputationRep:
    If you're a post-graduate, there's probably more chance. I assume.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not living in college then it should be possible for you to change. Ring up the college you're interested in and ask.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same at present - I put the wheels in motion by emailing the appropriate MCR and telling my current college what I want to do. I want to remain a member of my JCR too though, while being in the MCR of another college - anyone know if this is possble?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    I'm doing the same at present - I put the wheels in motion by emailing the appropriate MCR and telling my current college what I want to do. I want to remain a member of my JCR too though, while being in the MCR of another college - anyone know if this is possble?
    You can't be in any JCR as a postgraduate though, surely? Unless you have a HLM or something :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    You can't be in any JCR as a postgraduate though, surely? Unless you have a HLM or something :beard:
    How come 4th years can be JCR and MCR members then? One of the candidates for JCR chair this year was going to be a postgrad student...

ReputationRep:
    I have been told that I have to write to the college I am in to be "released" in order to apply for another college. Does anyone know what happens if you can't get another college to take you? Do you automatically stay with your current college or do you end up with nothing?

ReputationRep:
    You won't end up with nothing, as a postgrad you could end up as just a member of the graduate school. Some people decide they don't want to be in a college and elect to just become part of the Graduate School for the purposes for matriculation and graduation. This could be an option if you don't want accom. But from the sounds of things being in a college is quite important to you. I'd be inclined to agree with Aula that if you don't want to live in it should be easier to get into a college of your choice. Out of interest, which one do you fancy?

ReputationRep:
    Actually, all full-time students are allocated to a College - see http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/unive...9/adregspg.pdf - there is no option to just be a member of the graduate school if you're studying full time and someone enquiring about changing College wouldn't ever find themselves without a College - they'd either be transferred or stay where they were. Part-time postgraduate students could just belong to the graduate school but that wouldn't be the result of requesting a transfer from Ustinov to another College.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astro67)
    Actually, all full-time students are allocated to a College - see http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/unive...9/adregspg.pdf - there is no option to just be a member of the graduate school if you're studying full time and someone enquiring about changing College wouldn't ever find themselves without a College - they'd either be transferred or stay where they were. Part-time postgraduate students could just belong to the graduate school but that wouldn't be the result of requesting a transfer from Ustinov to another College.
    That must be my mistake then, I was sure I'd read some literature from the uni that said that any postgrad who couldn't decide on a college could just be a member of the graduate school but I must have misread it.

Just had a look and you're right, the booklet I was sent titled 'Postgraduate Study - Important information about your offer' states the following;

'Section 4: College Membership
    Durham is a collegiate university and your offer letter will state the college which is offering you membership. Please note that whilst full-time students are required to be a member of a college, part-time students are not. Nevertheless, part-time students may join a college upon request. This can be done by contacting the college in which you are interested. The following web-page provides more details about the collegiate system: www.durham.ac.uk/colleges'

Apologies for confusing anyone with the wrong information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pick)
    Hi

I am a post grad student and have been allocated a place at Ustinov college. It happened automatically but the more I look at the Ustinov site the more I feel it's not for me. I have been for a visit too and as I am not going to be living in I really don't think I'll be going there much.

I would like a college with a more pastoral emphasis and one that I can feel involved in. I just don't know if it's too late in the day to change and if if it's even possible to do so.

If anyone can help with this I'd be really pleased to hear from you,

Es
    Why do you think you couldn't be involved at Ustinov? Just out of interest. I was at Trevs for a year and Butler for 3 years and would have applied to Ustinov if I stayed for postgrad - I think it's a way friendlier college for postgrads. Though I guess it depends where you'd be living out, the closer the college the more involved you're going to be, naturally.

ReputationRep:
    There's two reasons why I feel Ustinov's not right for me. First is because I am doing the MSW the uni days are only two a week apprx. with the rest of the time on work placement and the second is that I will be living outwith Durham so Ustinov just seems so inaccessible in terms of location and time.

I just couldn't see myself going to Ustinov for anything at all, for the reasons above ,and as Durham is a collegiate uni I felt that was a shame as I would like a college which I could feel part of by occassionally going along to or joining a society.

I have now been given a place at Hatfield and am really happy about that as I will be able to go there when I am at uni easily AND it has an art room and art society which is exactly what I am looking for as my first degree is fine art.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.