Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a postgraduate and was hoping that you guys could fill me on what would make student life better. It would be great if the suggestions were not stupid as I hope to have them implemented, they maybe at your uni sooner than you think!!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Free Education
    A Living Grant
    A fighting National Union

ReputationRep:
    more money

ReputationRep:
    open events where all freshers come together not like an enrollment but maybe with food and live music maybe some new fresh student bands playing, it would be easier to talk to people at that sort of event

more investment in student interests just get a few questionnaires out the area your hoping to make better

ReputationRep:
    Basically money. But that's essentially only a tool for getting what you want rather than elucidating on it.

I'd also have preferred more students to get involved in university life: societies, read the university newspaper, take an interest in the institutional gossip, that sort of thing. Better train links for days out would have improved my student life. Er... how about more cloisters? I like good architecture.

ReputationRep:
    For every night to be like the first of the year - everyone talking to teach other, being merry, having a good time. That seemed to stop after the first night

ReputationRep:
    Cheaper student accommodation. Obviously these things cost money, but I wish they didn't cost over £50!

More house parties... I'm hoping that will change in second year.

I'd like to see other students survive on their own, without the bank of mum and dad... It's sickening to see, and they aren't learning anything.

ReputationRep:
    Having better library stock would make a difference! On my course they only tend to stock 2-4 copies of key texts, that's if they stock them at all. Very frustrating, as they tend to be on one month loans, so only appear when the assignment are already handed in.

If you are living independantly, with all your bills, rent etc to pay, buying books is not an option, unless you have savings. Being penalised for using legit internet sites shouldn't be allowed! It is not through lazyness these are used, but often for necessity of getting the assignments done. Argh! Rant over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostdoll)
    Cheaper student accommodation. Obviously these things cost money, but I wish they didn't cost over £50!
    Totally agree with this, I was shocked by the prices for a room in student halls, let alone an en-suite!

ReputationRep:

More house parties... I'm hoping that will change in second year.

I'd like to see other students survive on their own, without the bank of mum and dad... It's sickening to see, and they aren't learning anything.
    Then dont spend all your money on parties! Im joking but also a bit serious as £50 is pennies for accomodation I was paying double than when on benefits and also when working part time when my income left me with £5 a week for food and electric etc.
    (Original post by L i b)
    Basically money. But that's essentially only a tool for getting what you want rather than elucidating on it.

I'd also have preferred more students to get involved in university life: societies, read the university newspaper, take an interest in the institutional gossip, that sort of thing. Better train links for days out would have improved my student life. Er... how about more cloisters? I like good architecture.
    I agree, what I really hated about uni being in my mid twenties was hearing students complain about booze being too expensive and when the student elections came all the candidates said that if they were elected they would push for cheaper booze and longer bar opening hours and getting funding for a private nightclub in town just for students run by the SU!

I hated this because I was in student accomodation and being kept awake each night by people drinking and on massive amounts of drugs or both and if you asked them to be quiet or asked at the accomodation office or even student support you got told "Its student life, deal with it"

I wish we had proper societies for even geeky things like gaming instead of just the regular Christian ones, Black ones, LGB, football and rugby etc when people wanted to do other ones but couldnt get funding!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EarlHickey)
    Then dont spend all your money on parties! Im joking but also a bit serious as £50 is pennies for accomodation I was paying double than when on benefits and also when working part time when my income left me with £5 a week for food and electric etc.

I agree, what I really hated about uni being in my mid twenties was hearing students complain about booze being too expensive and when the student elections came all the candidates said that if they were elected they would push for cheaper booze and longer bar opening hours and getting funding for a private nightclub in town just for students run by the SU!

I hated this because I was in student accomodation and being kept awake each night by people drinking and on massive amounts of drugs or both and if you asked them to be quiet or asked at the accomodation office or even student support you got told "Its student life, deal with it"

I wish we had proper societies for even geeky things like gaming instead of just the regular Christian ones, Black ones, LGB, football and rugby etc when people wanted to do other ones but couldnt get funding!
    I've also paid nearly double £50 on accommodation... That's why I think £50 would be a nicer price. I know, it's a big bad world and it's not going to be cheap during or after university :/ It's just a bit annoying that I've student friends in Belfast and their houses cost them about £30 a week each.

ReputationRep:
    I've also paid nearly double £50 on accommodation... That's why I think £50 would be a nicer price. I know, it's a big bad world and it's not going to be cheap during or after university :/ It's just a bit annoying that I've student friends in Belfast and their houses cost them about £30 a week each.
    Hull is dirt cheap, thats where some friends are and have one who was born and raised there its where if you find somewhere far enough in advance you can get a room with all bills paid for around £30 a week, even one block at halls at least is £60 a week catered with 3 meals a day 7 days a week.

ReputationRep:
    Hull is dirt cheap, thats where some friends are and have one who was born and raised there its where if you find somewhere far enough in advance you can get a room with all bills paid for around £30 a week, even one block at halls at least is £60 a week catered with 3 meals a day 7 days a week.
    no halls in 'ull do 3 meals, the lawns and needler do one (dinner) and thwaite does two (breakfast and dinner)

But Hull is dirt cheap

ReputationRep:

oh your one of them ones then :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-77)
    oh your one of them ones then :yes:
    What ones?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.