Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm using an iTrip at the moment, but it's starting to annoy me. I'm thinking of sticking in a CD player into my Clio, but I've never done anything technical with a car. Will I lose my steering wheel controls if I replace it too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bowdeni)
    Will I lose my steering wheel controls if I replace it too?
    Yes

Although with some cd players you can buy an extra module to make it work

The module usually costs as much as the cd player itself though so often not worth the expense

ReputationRep:
    I'm using an iTrip at the moment, but it's starting to annoy me. I'm thinking of sticking in a CD player into my Clio, but I've never done anything technical with a car. Will I lose my steering wheel controls if I replace it too?
    potentially. You'll have to pick up a compatible head unit, and wiring loom which will usually set you back £30 or so, but will retain your steering controls.

Such as one of these http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/inst...n/renault.html Not entirely sure what setup is on the clios that said but at a first glance it looks like you'll need http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ict-...l-adaptor.html

You then need to purchase the £4.99 interface to plug it into whatever head unit you buy (look in 'related items' to the right of that page) and obviously a headunit to match the interface.

ReputationRep:
    Removal instructions here:

http://www.fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=18

Looks like a doddle compared to some I've done. DIN keys are about a fiver I think, or free if you know a mate with a pair you can borrow

ReputationRep:
    Easy enough when we did it on my mate's Clio (though he didn't have steering controls). Actual removal of old one and fitting of new one took all of five minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply guys. I thin I'm going to go for it, but such is the expense of retaining the steering wheel controls, I don't think I'll bother.

As someone else said above, I seem to need some DIN keys in order to plug the CD player out of the car. My car radio has these four little holes. Is it 100% necessary that I have these keys, or is there a way around it?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply guys. I thin I'm going to go for it, but such is the expense of retaining the steering wheel controls, I don't think I'll bother.

As someone else said above, I seem to need some DIN keys in order to plug the CD player out of the car. My car radio has these four little holes. Is it 100% necessary that I have these keys, or is there a way around it?
    For the clio I guess you could get a few kitchen pokes/prodder/things

ReputationRep:
    with respect to remote controls etc...see if you can get a 'better' OEM head unit which will plug straight in and retain the remote controls

I had an Astra F which the previous owner had put a CDR500 into to retain the remote screen ...

ReputationRep:

For the sake of £2.50 its the easiest way. You can prat around with other stuff if you like, but I doubt it will work. These lock in, you push them outwards and pull back, the stereo unlocks and its out. 5 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minardi)
    For the sake of £2.50 its the easiest way. You can prat around with other stuff if you like, but I doubt it will work. These lock in, you push them outwards and pull back, the stereo unlocks and its out. 5 seconds.
    I think you are going to be right. It's just me being impatient and not wanting to wait for them to arrive.

I haven't picked a CD player yet. Aldi have one for £55, it's blutooth and has iPod support. Looks ok. I'm an audiophile having two hi fi separate systems, but I don't think it's going to be worth me shelling out much money on this car. As long as it's reliable (3 year warranty) and doesn't skip (which my friend's one doesn't) then it looks fine for me.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are going to be right. It's just me being impatient and not wanting to wait for them to arrive.

I haven't picked a CD player yet. Aldi have one for £55, it's blutooth and has iPod support. Looks ok. I'm an audiophile having two hi fi separate systems, but I don't think it's going to be worth me shelling out much money on this car. As long as it's reliable (3 year warranty) and doesn't skip (which my friend's one doesn't) then it looks fine for me.
    I have a similar unit in my tractor, and its not nice. The sound is awful, very digitally overprocessed (like noise on heavily compressed MP3's) and its a very tinny unit. FM/AM reception is awful too. I wouldn't buy another. Decent branded units can be had for £100, which is probably a better way to spend your money.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like you don't even have to spend that. Under £70 seems very reasonable. Argos have a Sony for £55, but it's in stock no where. There is a new catalogue coming out in a few days, I'm hoping they'll have something in that.

ReputationRep:
    If the bluetooth is for hands freecalling dont bank on it being very good mine was alot more than £55 and its crap never use it anymore its that bad

ReputationRep:
    Seems like you don't even have to spend that. Under £70 seems very reasonable. Argos have a Sony for £55, but it's in stock no where. There is a new catalogue coming out in a few days, I'm hoping they'll have something in that.
    Take a look at Car Audio Direct. Excellent company and decent prices. For around £70, I'd be trying to find an Alpine or Pioneer as both have excellent sound quality. Something like this?

ReputationRep:
    I got myself a Blaupunkt unit off Amazon for fifty odd quid and it's excellent. Great sound through two tweeters, two mids and a bass and it plays every conceivable music format under the sun including data-cds and included a 3.5mm line in. I hardly ever use the line in though as the sound quality is so much better straight off CDs. It never skips either which is quite a feat in my car as it's had a 2 inch lift with HD springs on the back so it's not the smoothest ride when I'm the only occupant.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, it's 4x45W amp so it's not bad power-wise but the real deal breaker is the fact that it has 4 channel pre-amp outs which means you can expand through an amp and keep your fader/balance. My current set up has the mids run off the stereo amp and my bass and tweeters run off the other two channels through a bridged 4 channel amp. This means I can tone out all the bass from the tweeter channel and all the highs from the bass channel.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 23, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.