Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me what the accomodation at Victoria Hall is like please? As I have put this down as my first choice and am now hearing very bad things about

ReputationRep:
    I worked there as my summer job 2 years ago and lived there during that time. Sorry if this info isn't up-to-date, I haven't been there since. I would say its the same quality as other halls.
    Most flats are 5 rooms, en suite. Shared kitchen / dining room, which is spacious, with a dining table, sofa and comfy chairs, TV, all cutlery and kitchen equipment supplied.
    Its a secure site in two parts on opposite sides of a road. Swipe card access to the site, building, flat and key access to bedroom so potentially safer than The Vale where anyone can wander in.
    Anything you particularly want to know? I'll try to remember

ReputationRep:
    do u no how it is compared to jarrat halls? coz i am thinkin of changing i around?

ReputationRep:
    Victoria halls:

-Good bedroom size and usually en-suite, well the ones i've been in ar en-suite.
    -Good internet connection with ask4.
    -Very social inside the flats, but looks kind of quiet outside.
    -Near all the pubs in selly oak and next to aldi.
    -Like one minute away from university.
    -The lounge and kitchen space is a bit small, so depends if you are going to be there a lot if you don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard something about how the electricity is metered or something, not sure if it's true. It is dark when I walk past though...

Oh, and its opposite a gun factory - apparently you can hear them testing guns

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaomeister)
    I've heard something about how the electricity is metered or something, not sure if it's true. It is dark when I walk past though...

Oh, and its opposite a gun factory - apparently you can hear them testing guns
    Or at least you could until the gun factory got demolished earlier this week to make way for the new road!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcm1106)
    Or at least you could until the gun factory got demolished earlier this week to make way for the new road!
    No way?? I'm gonna miss that gun factory...walked past it all the time to get to the goose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaomeister)
    No way?? I'm gonna miss that gun factory...walked past it all the time to get to the goose.
    Yep. You'll soon have to cross a big road lol.

ReputationRep:
    I was in Victoria Halls for my first year, living in Selly oak now for my second year.

From what I hear from others, they aren't the best, but that was made up by the fact I could roll out of bed at half 10, get ready and get to my lectures on the other side of campus, it is a great location, esp when I pretty much lived in the Gun Barrels pub.

As for the electricity thing, you have the deposit from everyone that covers your electric for the year, you go over and you get charged, we averaged about £150 a month over winter, but were £60 in the black by the time term was over, it's rather annoying when other halls don't get charged.

I was so so so lucky with the people I lived with this year, I met a great bunch of people and had an awesome time, but out of the whole block, I knew about 8 people, not everyone is very sociable I found.

So I dont make this post any bigger than it is;

PROS;
    Big rooms, nice sitting room layout, close to supermarkets, pubs, train stations, university.

CONS;
    The rent (Paying in 2 instalments when your loan comes in 3), the staff, the monthly flat checks.

Oh, one last thing, when you move in, fill in the forms as much as you can, note any marks or breakages, otherwise you WILL be charged,

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 2, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.