Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Helppp. Anyone Know How To Parallel Park? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiii,

got my driving test on 18th August and I'm doing lots of private practise atm, test routes etc,.

I can parallel park my instructor's car...

but the car that my Mum has (and my future car when I pass) is a ford Ka and I can't, even if my life depended on it, park the thinggg!!

Basically the way I do it with my instructor is (if I was reversing left)

1. pull up alongside the car im parking behind.
    2. reverse until the triangle bar on the back window drops off of the back/front of the car imrking behind.
    3. steer one turn to the left.
    4. look for the little triangle between the car and the pavement and when this disappears steer two turns to the right.
    5. get parallel with the kerb and then steer one turn to the left again.

Is this right??

And does anyone know how park a ford KA simplyyyy lol.
    cos my mum has no idea at all and basically parks blind!!
    x

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do know how to parallel park

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to parallel park well in real life.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're taking your test in your instructors car and you can parrallel park in that, I honestly wouldn't stress about it. What car does your instructor have? I have a KA and theyre the easiest thing in the WORLD to park, you really don't have to worry about having a strict formula for it because they're so small you can just do it by trial and error so don't panic!

ReputationRep:
    Your description is a little confusing. Your instructor is probably making it into a big complicated deal; like mine did.

I pull up alongside the car (driver/passenger seat next to theirs), steer one turn of the wheel to the left and then two turns to the right when I feel I am in the correct position. I usually just estimate and 95% of the time get it fine first time.

ReputationRep:
    i can parallel park!! reversing round a corner on the other hand....

ReputationRep:
    Left, Right, Right, Left. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    errm i do the two to right once the left wing mirror is just past the petrol cap or the wheel arch

ReputationRep:
    Why do driving instructors over complicate it. Just pull up, make sure you look in all mirrors and blind spots and just reverse in. The test allows you something stupid like three cars space behind the original car for it to be an acceptable parallel park.

ReputationRep:
    you can always go forwards during the test to straighten up, it'll only cost you 1 minor... its not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you can do it in your instructors car thats fine.

The rest is just practise and getting used to the other car. I, for the life of me, found my dads car difficult to get biting point and stay there. I can do it fine now.

Once you pass your test, you'll get the hang of it. It may need a few tries to get parked but with everything, the more you do it the easier and better it gets.

P.S GOOD LUCK!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I can parallel park. :yes:

(Original post by Kevin J)
    Why do driving instructors over complicate it. Just pull up, make sure you look in all mirrors and blind spots and just reverse in. The test allows you something stupid like three cars space behind the original car for it to be an acceptable parallel park.
    Two.

ReputationRep:
    You're in my mind

You're in my heart

A heartbreaker right from the start.

Thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    When I do it in my instructors Clio it goes:

Park alongside other car
    Reverse until I see the back of the other car in the left back window
    One turn to the left
    Look in the wing mirror and when I see the door handle meet the kerb
    Full lock to the right
    Straighten up

Obviously it's a different car but similar principles I would imagine

ReputationRep:
    I think its a bit risky to learn 'gimmicky' methods of parrallel parking, most who do I find are the ones that find they struggle most..

My instructor said:

pull level, full lock whilst moving backwards when your morrors go just past level with the car next to you, straighten out when your mirrors are level with their rear wheels, reverse, lock in the other direction (or as much steering as necesary) when the mirrors are level with the bumper of the car, obviously watchtin to see you dnt misjudge it and hit the car..

ReputationRep:
    I have an idea! Click on "Sign Out" button on top-right corner of your screen and go out and practice. I doubt you will learn to park a car in TSR

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha I have been driving on my own for 12 months and still don't know how to parallel park!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlosb)
    I have an idea! Click on "Sign Out" button on top-right corner of your screen and go out and practice. I doubt you will learn to park a car in TSR
    Clever man is clever.

And it has already been said...

Most of it is just estimating but the basic principal is:

Left, right, right, left/straighten

Good luck...

ReputationRep:
    just learn in your instructors car, i havent parallel parked since I passed my test in December.

ReputationRep:
    Just practise! I bought a Ford Ka today and the thing that stuck out was it's amazingly easy to park, much easier than the Corsa I learned in. Smaller the car, easier it is.Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.